Tragedy as Father Accidentally shoots 7 yr old son

This is a discussion on Tragedy as Father Accidentally shoots 7 yr old son within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by jbum Sorry OldVet I respect your opinions greatly but what the heck does this have to do with Taurus? This is how ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Tragedy as Father Accidentally shoots 7 yr old son

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Sorry OldVet I respect your opinions greatly but what the heck does this have to do with Taurus? This is how the anti's think blame the tool not the user. If it had been a Glock would you have posted that comment?
    Yep, or a Smith&Wesson, or a Ruger, or a ,... The firearm could have been anything from a Hi-Point to a Les Baer Customs and the unfortunate child would be just as dead. Thats like hearing about a crappy driver running over his kid and saying "I dislike Chevy even more" because he happened to be driving a Blazer. When you pull the trigger on a loaded gun, it goes bang, at least that what they are designed to do. The Taurus went bang when the trigger was pulled as it was intended to do. It was pure user error, obviously not following basic safety rules. The maker of the gun and/or ammunition had absolutely nothing to do with it.

As far as the story,...Horrible, horrible, terrible, sad, horrible and heartbreaking.
    accessbob and msgt/ret like this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

2. Remove Ads

Not much worse can happen in life...very sad in so many ways.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I feel bad for the rest of the family. For the father? Not so much. Stupid is as stupid does. It's natural selection at work. Unfortunately, it casts a bad light on the rest of us.

VIP Member
    Wow. That's about twenty minutes from here.

Merging threads.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If you point a loaded firearm, with a round in the chamber, with the safety off...at another human being and that gun goes off and kills that human being...you MUST face criminal charges!!!!

if you can't handle the great responsibility that comes with owning a firearm, don't get a damn firearm!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    If you point a loaded firearm, with a round in the chamber, with the safety off...at another human being and that gun goes off and kills that human being...you MUST face criminal charges!!!!

if you can't handle the great responsibility that comes with owning a firearm, don't get a damn firearm!!!!!
    I dont think there are any criminal charges that are worse then what he is going through right now

Distinguished Member
    Accidents happen, why u might ask. Just because none of us are perfect in any way and all it takes is a bad second for something like this to happen and it can never be taken back. I don't judge the father or the gun. Just be sure that something like this could occur with anyone of us. Folks the best we can do is be as focused on safety as our minds allow whether it's guns, an automobile, machinery or what ever your involved with at that moment. I'm very sad for the child, the father, the whole family and all the people who was present at and after the incident. Heavy hearts and bad memories for a long long time. The only justice I can say for the innocent child is that he has crossed over the rainbow to a lot better place and that peace and comfort is upon his soul forever...
    DC likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Prayers go out to the father and family. A lapse in judgement forever changed their lives* and ended another.

* If it indeed it is ruled as an ND but I just think there's more to this story than we know right now.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I always see the posts.... should have kept finger off the trigger. True. .... but, I was always taught... Rule # 1 is muzzle control... the gun is never pointing at anything you don't want to shoot, or if it did , would do harm. Then , Rule # 2 was.. and never have your finger on the trigger.

If there would have been "muzzle control" ... even if something occurred he did cause the gun to fire, it would not have done harm.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Loughrey was trying to sell two guns at the store ...

Investigators said Loughrey told them he didnít realize there was a bullet still in the chamber.

He was attempting to get inside and reached to put the handgun in the center storage console when it fired, they said.
    Seems clear that he didn't unload the guns prior to coming to the shop, and didn't exhibit proper gun safety discipline.

Treat a gun as if always loaded, watch the muzzle, watch the finger, and know the target. Not very difficult, really, if one believes protecting the lives of others and ourselves is worthwhile.

This guy's going to have to live with this for the remainder of his life. Sucks to be him, right now. Condolences to him and his family. Time to brush up on the handling/safety guidelines, though perhaps after he's gone through the wringer. Hopefully he won't become a Brady Bunch poster boy, willingly; I'm assuming not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ValpoHawkeye View Post
    Pray that no more kids get shot. Let me know how it works out.

^^^^^^^^^^^What is your point?????^^^^^^^^^^^

That you don't believe prayer works, or that God does not exist?

Children will die from buckets/bathtubs with water, they will fall out of windows in tall bldgs., they will die in car crashes.
    It was never said there would not be pain and strife in your life here on earth, and that bad things would never happen to good people.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I feel bad for the rest of the family. For the father? Not so much. Stupid is as stupid does. It's natural selection at work. Unfortunately, it casts a bad light on the rest of us.
    Really, the father eliminated his own "bad" genes buy shooting his son? I sure hope you meant something different by your "natural selection" comment.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Really, the father eliminated his own "bad" genes buy shooting his son? I sure hope you meant something different by your "natural selection" comment.
    Yeah, essentially that action did. The kid's dead. The concept of "survival of the fittest" does indeed include the ability of a species to learn, to develop sense enough to take precautions that avoid extreme threats to life, etc. In the end, this guy's not (at least, via this child) going to have his stuff passed on ... and that includes teachings, sense, abilities and the whole smash. It is what it is. Calling it that might seem harsh, but it's essentially true. None of which takes away from the silly sadness of it all, for the kid and his family.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Tragedy as Father Accidentally shoots 7 yr old son

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^What is your point?????^^^^^^^^^^^

That you don't believe prayer works, or that God does not exist?
    As I've stated, I'm not here to argue about it. That's not the point of this board. But my point was, yes, that prayer doesn't work. Want to help the family? Send a sympathy card and some flowers. Prayer doesn't do anything. Ever. Not that anecdotal evidence ever means jack sh**, but I was a very, very active believer for a quarter century of my life. I read the bible and studied it almost daily. I preached. I gave sermons. You name it... And after really looking at my own life and the lives of those in my congregation, I realized how stupid (to me) prayer was. It is quite literally "the least" you can do. Think some **** in your head while allegedly talking to an almighty god who can read your thoughts anyway. If god were so great and loving, it shouldn't take a stranger who read my story on the Internet praying for me for god to comfort me. Again, it's the least (as in nothing) that you can do. Send a card. Drop $10 in a scholarship fund. At least that's something. Prayer? Nothing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links