Tragedy as Father Accidentally shoots 7 yr old son

This is a discussion on Tragedy as Father Accidentally shoots 7 yr old son within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No I disagree. This is not a case of "there but for the grace of God go I" situation at all. For example: When I ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Tragedy as Father Accidentally shoots 7 yr old son

No I disagree. This is not a case of "there but for the grace of God go I" situation at all.

For example: When I clean my guns, I point the barrels away from anybody in the home and position them in a safe direction. They are barrels, unloaded, empty, and just metal tubes. Still, they point away from people. Safe gun handling procedures ensure that no one, ever, is in danger of injury.

Let's review:

1. Always treat all firearms as if they were loaded.
    2. Never allow the muzzle of any firearm to point at anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Never put your finger near the trigger until you are ready to fire. Do not depend on any mechanical device for safety.
    4. Always be sure of your target, and what is behind and in front of it.

So here we have a failure of observance of all 4 rules. This isn't rocket science. It's just sheer human stupidity. Father in question should go to prison for a long, long time.
    Pythius likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

One in the pipe, and no/poor training.

I can see both sides of the loaded chamber argument,
    but this time it ended tragically.
    This is the EXACT situation that hands the anti's fuel for the fire.

Investigators said Loughrey told them he didn’t realize there was a bullet still in the chamber.
    “This happens all too often where people think the gun was empty,”
    Lt. Eric Hermick told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
    Aside from the obviously tragic outcome his is a total gimme for the Brady bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by ValpoHawkeye View Post
    As I've stated, I'm not here to argue about it. That's not the point of this board. But my point was, yes, that prayer doesn't work. Want to help the family? Send a sympathy card and some flowers. Prayer doesn't do anything. Ever. Not that anecdotal evidence ever means jack sh**, but I was a very, very active believer for a quarter century of my life. I read the bible and studied it almost daily. I preached. I gave sermons. You name it... And after really looking at my own life and the lives of those in my congregation, I realized how stupid (to me) prayer was. It is quite literally "the least" you can do. Think some **** in your head while allegedly talking to an almighty god who can read your thoughts anyway. If god were so great and loving, it shouldn't take a stranger who read my story on the Internet praying for me for god to comfort me. Again, it's the least (as in nothing) that you can do. Send a card. Drop $10 in a scholarship fund. At least that's something. Prayer? Nothing.
    Then you should not have made the wise arse remark to start with. I don't give a hoot what you beleive or don't. You brought the subject up in repsonding to folks who asked for prayers for the young boy and family. You can choose to do so or not. It is an option. But you felt the need to make a snide remark and not respect the faith of others.

Asking for prayers or stating ones faith or lack of is not bringing relgion into a subject. Being snide about it is.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Maybe you should pray for me then. Maybe god will open my eyes right after he resurrects that boy.

Maybe you should pray for me then. Maybe god will open my eyes right after he resurrects that boy.
    Please just stop.
    oneshot and RAL like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Please just stop.
    oneshot, suntzu, 3wggl and 1 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Having watched the news story (happened about 35 minutes from me) I get the impression the boy was in a booster seat in the front of the extended cab pickup truck. I could be wrong but that's how it appears based on the little I've seen. Even before all the potential gun safety failures it seems to me there was a car seat safety failure as all car seats should be in the rear if at all possible which would be in an extended cab truck (I am a car seat safety stickler).
    Had it been where it should have been there may only be a hole in the passenger door of the truck instead of an innocent child regardless of all the likely firearms safety failures.

Terrible situation all the way around no matter what. :-(

VIP Member
    As I've stated, I'm not here to argue about it. That's not the point of this board. But my point was, yes, that prayer doesn't work. Want to help the family? Send a sympathy card and some flowers. Prayer doesn't do anything. Ever. Not that anecdotal evidence ever means jack sh**, but I was a very, very active believer for a quarter century of my life. I read the bible and studied it almost daily. I preached. I gave sermons. You name it... And after really looking at my own life and the lives of those in my congregation, I realized how stupid (to me) prayer was. It is quite literally "the least" you can do. Think some **** in your head while allegedly talking to an almighty god who can read your thoughts anyway. If god were so great and loving, it shouldn't take a stranger who read my story on the Internet praying for me for god to comfort me. Again, it's the least (as in nothing) that you can do. Send a card. Drop $10 in a scholarship fund. At least that's something. Prayer? Nothing.

^^^WoW^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have perused through ALL of your posts, and get the impression that by them, and the pic in your Avatar(if that is you) you are very young, and purport to be very knowlegable about most of life, which of course , you haven't lived much of yet.
    I have been through too many things in my life, that are unexplainable, and are not just happenstance, to have a faith in a higher Being, whatever faith one might have.
    Glad YOU have all the answers.
    This family definitely needs more than a "sympathy card" at this time.
    msgt/ret and 3wggl like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Those are some mighty big assumptions you've made there. The pic is of my wedding in September. I'm 34, I just take care of myself. As for the rest, it doesn't really matter what we think of each other. I agree that more than a sympathy card is needed. More is needed than a stranger speaking in hushed tones to his favorite god. So what's your plan to do more?

This thread isn't the place to air personal theological grievances, not even on a Sunday morning.
    msgt/ret, atctimmy, RAL and 1 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    :(

poor family and more bad press for gun community
    That father must be devastated , id keep him on suicide watch
    ValpoHawkeye and atctimmy like this.

What a tragedy! My heart (and prayers) go out to this family. Some have said he should have turned the gun on himself after realizing what he had done. The story doesn't mention if he has other children. Killing himself would only bring more heartbreak to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    There's definitely more to this.
    I disagree. I think that's all there is to it. But unlike how the article puts it, the gun didn't just go off. If he was putting the gun in the console when it "went off" then it was because he had his finger on the trigger and had the gun pointed towards his son while doing so.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

There were several instances where this gun should've been cleared out. If he was planning on selling it, he should've unloaded it and made sure it was clear before he left the house, before he got out of his truck, and the gun should've been carried into the store with the slide locked back to show clear the entire time. Everytime you pick up a gun that you aren't planning on either carrying or shooting, you should ensure that it is clear. Obviously he didn't do that at any point.

Sad about the kid. A young life taken too soon because his father failed to use safe weapons handling.

I also don't like how this article is worded to sound like the gun just "went off".

"Joseph V. Loughrey, 44, of Sharpsville, was holding the gun while when the 9 mm handgun discharged"

Should say, "was holding the gun when he negligently put his finger on the trigger and discharged the 9mm handgun".

"He was attempting to get inside and reached to put the handgun in the center storage console when it fired"

Should say, "He was attempting to get inside and reached to put the handgun in the center storage console when he negligently put his finger on the trigger and fired".
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    You need to calm down. On this forum if you can't play nice you'll be an EX-member in a hot minute.

If other people's prayers bother you so much then maybe it's your problem and not theirs. Maybe you should keep your problems to yourself.
    RAL and msgt/ret like this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links