What is the reasoning for having a gun that has never been fired and will never be ? - Page 2

What is the reasoning for having a gun that has never been fired and will never be ?

This is a discussion on What is the reasoning for having a gun that has never been fired and will never be ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I work with a guy in the jail who carries a colt mustang, I ask him one day how he liked it and how well ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: What is the reasoning for having a gun that has never been fired and will never be ?

I work with a guy in the jail who carries a colt mustang, I ask him one day how he liked it and how well it shoots? He said he liked it just fine but he had never fired it! Not believing what I had just heard, I asked " What do you mean its never been fired?" And He said " Colt makes good guns, I see no good reason to waste it just to see!" So I asked him how long he had the ammo, He said he got it with the gun. About 10 years ago. That was about 10 years back. Hes still carrying the same gun with the same ammo. I'm afraid to even ask if he has rotated the ammo in the mag!
    I do have a few Collectors guns that have never been fired, But they were bought as investments not as possible SD guns. DR

When I first decided to buy a gun, my intention was for it to be for home protection and nothing else...however, in my thinking to be any good for home protection I needed to practice and be proficient. I don't understand buying one to be safe, but not ever shooti it. (in my case, I discovered at the range I enjoy shooting and it's snowballed into a hobby for me as well as CC in addition to the original home protection intent)

My fil was involved in an SD shooting back in '92 - the police took the gun used during the investigation and although it was determined completely justified and no charges brought, he never got the gun back. So he bought a new one, and he has never fired it, not once. Bought it, put it in the safe. He says it's because he knows he's a good shot, but I can't help but think it's because of the trauma of the shooting after going through a major hurricane. With age I worry if he ever needed it he'd find his accuracy isn't what it once was. At this point there's some early dementia and we've been in some discussions with my mil to take possession of it. She reports it's unloaded and he doesn't have the combo to the safe any longer, she doesn't want anything to do with it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I work with a guy in the jail who carries a colt mustang, I ask him one day how he liked it and how well it shoots? He said he liked it just fine but he had never fired it! Not believing what I had just heard, I asked " What do you mean its never been fired?" And He said " Colt makes good guns, I see no good reason to waste it just to see!" So I asked him how long he had the ammo, He said he got it with the gun. About 10 years ago. That was about 10 years back. Hes still carrying the same gun with the same ammo. I'm afraid to even ask if he has rotated the ammo in the mag!
    DR
    WOW!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I shoot all my guns on a regular basis with the exception of a few antiques.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Stan6406 View Post
    My brother and a friend both have gun they bought new and have never fired them and don't intend to. They say they are just for home protection. I don't see the logic behind this I would never buy a car without a test drive and as soon as I get a new gun its range time to see how it fires. They are not what I would call collectables. Does anyone else do this ?
    When i read the headline, I thought 'duh, collector value goes way up if it's unfired'... then you said it was for home protection.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    "Owning a gun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a piano makes you a musician." Unless they have put a few hundred rounds of ammo through their guns, they aren't proficient with them, and can't trust them to be solid performers without any malfunctions. I wouldn't trust my life to a gun I'd never fired unless I had no other choice.

That said, I own a number of guns that will never be fired. They're gold plated commemorative limited edition pieces, like a set of 3 Winchester Model '94 and '66 rifles and carbines still in original boxes with grease packing/papers, etc. The moment any of them fire a shot, their value plummets.

Unless its a family heirloom or a high grade collector piece. My guns are tools and I want to know how to use them if need be. So I guess that means taking them out and practice with them to stay proficiant with them. Yep I shoot all my mine some more than others. Stay safe.

The gentleman that got me into shooting is a descendant of a an employee that worked at the original Smith and Wesson factory (or so is the story that he told me). He has a "NIB" Model 10 that has never been fired dating back to very early 1900's. The "family legend" is that the gun was ordered and paid for and was specially engraved to have an Army Colonel's name on it as well as a date on it. Unfortunately the gentleman died before delivery could be made, and it went home with the employee. Or so the story goes that was told to me... have seen it, but I question the "family legend" legitimacy.

The ownership of the gun is currently in dispute due to soon to be ex-wife trying to take him for everything he has.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    To me that's like buying hammer you never plan to use.
    And that's about how useful those guns will be. Never fired and never trained but use them for "home protection". They are more a danger to themselves than the BG. Those two geniuses are the type we read about where the BG takes the gun from them and shoots them. Or they shoot their foot off.

Tell them to sell the guns and get baseball bats.

To each his own I guess. I have to shoot everything I own though, and regularly at that. The only gun i've ever owned that I did not shoot was my Arisaka rifle. I was afraid it would blow up in my face.

We go to the range regularly but they just fire 22's all the others stay at home. I bring them all out. They don;t have anything I would consider a collectors piece. And no to the baseballs bats I read in another post those things are dangerous.

I would have to fire most any weapon . I know some you may buy are because they are worth money and worth more down the rod it never fired but I just could not do it.
    It might last a while but I would get it out and shoot it. I am not an investment collector I am a gun nut.
    Lish likes this.

VIP Member
    I know someone who has done this. They have a CHL too from their state, which has no training requirement or
    range test. They not only don't know their own state law, they have no clue what that .357 feels like or sounds like
    when it goes boom. If ever used in a home SD situation they will be scared out their wits just from the sudden
    sound, recoil, and muzzle tilt. I've tried to talk this person into loading up with plain old 38 sp wad cutters to
    at least minimize the surprise factor, but to no avail.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    To each his own I guess. I have to shoot everything I own though, and regularly at that. The only gun i've ever owned that I did not shoot was my Arisaka rifle. I was afraid it would blow up in my face.
    Have it checked by a gunsmith and take that Ariska out and enjoy shooting it, back in the 1940s Gen. Julian Hatcher conducted over pressure test on several rifles. With things like double and triple charges and even lodging a bullet in the barrel the Arisaka was the only rifle he was unable to blowup.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    When I first decided to buy a gun, my intention was for it to be for home protection and nothing else...however, in my thinking to be any good for home protection I needed to practice and be proficient. I don't understand buying one to be safe, but not ever shooti it. (in my case, I discovered at the range I enjoy shooting and it's snowballed into a hobby for me as well as CC in addition to the original home protection intent)

My fil was involved in an SD shooting back in '92 - the police took the gun used during the investigation and although it was determined completely justified and no charges brought, he never got the gun back. So he bought a new one, and he has never fired it, not once. Bought it, put it in the safe. He says it's because he knows he's a good shot, but I can't help but think it's because of the trauma of the shooting after going through a major hurricane. With age I worry if he ever needed it he'd find his accuracy isn't what it once was. At this point there's some early dementia and we've been in some discussions with my mil to take possession of it. She reports it's unloaded and he doesn't have the combo to the safe any longer, she doesn't want anything to do with it.
    Sounds like your mil needs an LCP that your FIL never learns about. At least the other gun is safe in the safe and he can't
    get to it during a fog. I specified a tiny one because of her need to keep it hidden from him due to the early dementia.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links