What is the reasoning for having a gun that has never been fired and will never be ?

This is a discussion on What is the reasoning for having a gun that has never been fired and will never be ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My brother and a friend both have gun they bought new and have never fired them and don't intend to. They say they are just ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: What is the reasoning for having a gun that has never been fired and will never be ?

What is the reasoning for having a gun that has never been fired and will never be ?

My brother and a friend both have gun they bought new and have never fired them and don't intend to. They say they are just for home protection. I don't see the logic behind this I would never buy a car without a test drive and as soon as I get a new gun its range time to see how it fires. They are not what I would call collectables. Does anyone else do this ?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have only one gun that is new and has never been fired, a Colt Centennial 1911. I bought it mainly for any collector value it may have later on. Everything else has been bought as shooters; I do get some funny looks when I take a Mauser Broomhandle or the Luger to the range.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I think there's a lot more of this than we think.
    Unless it's for a collection it's the perfect recipe for disaster.
    jem102, atctimmy and accessbob like this.

I only have two guns and shoot both on a regular basis. I could never see myself buying a gun to let it sit because I think it will be of great value later on.

To me that's like buying hammer you never plan to use.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Yeah...this doesn't make any sense. How do depend on something for home defense that you haven't proven is reliable or haven't proven to yourself that you can use adequately? Sounds like the old "talisman" syndrome to me.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Some times there isn't enough time to shoot them all. I have 6 myself that I haven't had time to shoot.....yet!

I think if you're going to own one, you at least need to know you can handle shooting paper before you can be sure you'll be able to pull the trigger when you need to. Plus I barely trust a gun I havent fired recently, let alone never.

I hope they know how to use it when they need to.
    mano3 likes this.

I had a new colt le6920 that sat in the safe for 4 monthes before I got to shoot it. That just doesn't sound right to me.

I would ruin a collector piece because I would have to shoot it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sounds like they bought the guns for a talisman and nothing else. Peace of mind isn't a plan.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I wouldn't own any gun without shooting it, unless it was so old as to be unsafe.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Springfield 1903 ( Rock Island ) under the magic serial number. Was used in WWI. The heat treating process was not right on the early rifles, so they may or may not be safe to shoot. Nice piece of American History.

You can use it to dry fire practice.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Sounds like they bought the guns for a talisman and nothing else. Peace of mind isn't a plan.
    That puts it perfectly. I shoot all of my guns and even if I bought a collectors piece like a Luger I would still at least have to shoot it on rare occassions. But a gun bought for defense must be fired to ensure reliability and familiarize oneself with the weapon for proficiency.
    BamaT and Eagleks like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links