Who had the greatest influence on you regarding firearms, and what was it?

This is a discussion on Who had the greatest influence on you regarding firearms, and what was it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two part answer to this: First part, answer with a person who you actually knew and had face to face contact, and what did they ...

VIP Member

Two part answer to this:

First part, answer with a person who you actually knew and had face to face contact, and what did they do for you? Marksmanship? Gun safety? Gun repair? Reloading? Etc?

Second part, answer with a person who you didn't personally know and never met, and what did they do for you? Marksmanship? Gun safety? Gun repair? Reloading? Etc?

For me:

1. My father. Beginning at my young age, he was diligent and mindful of safe gun handling skills. We never had an accident or even close to an accident. We might go hunting with another father and son, on our drive home my father would quiz me on how safe I thought the other hunters were. He gave me good habits and a watchful eye.

2. John Browning. He made some great stuff that I still use and admire today
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

NMB
    1) My Dad, and to a lesser extent, my Uncle. Always had time to take me hunting and shooting as a boy.

2) I suppose I have become a big fan of Massad Ayoob over the last few years. Solid instruction on self defense for the "every day" person. Has done a lot in terms of legal defense for private citizens who use their firearms as well.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

1. Drill Sergeant Jackson... and my brother to a much lesser extent.
    2. James Yeager for teaching me that 1911's are junk and that the .40 is useless...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I would say my Dad and my Grandfather, my whole family is a gun family everybody was a hunter. I can remember going hunting with my Aunt and Grandmother. My Aunt was a avid hunter and she bagged many deer in her time. I live in Nevada but was born in Texas and my first gun was an H&R single shot .410 which was a present on my 10th birthday.

VIP Member
    Uncle, taught me gun safety. Introduced me to a pistol and to a shotgun.

Mom allowed me to go plinking at an age when most kids wouldn't be trusted
    to do it; and would almost impossible to get by with nowadays.

Boy Scouts, for getting me to a Hunter's Safety Class.

HS Rifle Club coach, who kicked me off the team because I couldn't hit anything.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Grandfather..taught me safety, and fundamentals, which he drilled into me. He let me experiment with different calibers, and was quick to feed my growing interests with his finaces.

He bought me my first 22, an Ithica M40 single shot lever when I was 6, and by my 10th birthday, I had several guns including a M19 357 magnum.

Elmer Keith fueled my interest in handgun hunting. I spent hours hanging on to every word he wrote, and by the time I was 15, was killing everything from groundhogs, to foxes and feral dogs and deer with my 357 magnum loaded under my grandfathers supervision with hardcast bullets using Elmers recipe.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    my next door neighbor...who was a gold medalist greco roman wrestler. his name was mark schultz. His brother Dave was also an olympic wrestler and he was murdered by the heir to one of the heirs to the dupont fortune. Mark collected machine guns and thats when i saw my first gun.

then my dad.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

First part: My dad. Being in law enforcement, he preached gun safety when my sister and I were very young. He made sure that we were scared of firearms at a young age so that we would never touch them. However, growing up we realized how important they are to everyday safety.

Second part: I'd say many folks on this forum. Since joining, I've learned a lot and have discovered much information that has been beneficial to me carrying daily and shooting on a regular basis.

Links