Defensive Carry banner

Spotting scopes

585 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gasmitty 
#1 ·
Spotting scopes, could use some information about spotting scopes, a couple questions first question is how well do the offbrand this work, I know you get what you pay for but how good does it have to be to do the job, you can spend from $35 up to a couple thousand, and the next question would be the power what type of power would you need to clearly see your shots on a paper target at 100 yards, what would be recommended for somebody who shoots just occasionally and who would like to try and keep it around $75 or under

#2 ·
So this is for bench work? Here's a fun idea. Go to a local Pawn Shop & buy an old video camera with both the highest power zoom & the biggest viewing screen. The "latest" formats have come & gone so fast that they're now dirt cheap. Point the camera at your target (I use a tripod), crank the zoom to maximum & flip open the oversized viewing screen. Now, you don't even have to peek into a spotting scope, you've got real-time target monitoring. Take the shot & glance at the screen. The battery power is usually good for an hour or so. If you want to run an extension cord & an video cable, you can move the camera downrange & run the feed back to a small monitor at your bench. It's easy, cheap & your friends will think you're a genius! (But maybe they already do!) :image035:

#3 ·
I picked up a low-end Nikon 20x60 scope which will show a .30 cal hole at 100 yards, but .22 cal holes are barely distinguishable at that range. A variable magnification eyepiece up to maybe 30 or 40 power woild be the ticket, I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.