Ruger 22/45 LITE

Ruger 22/45 LITE

This is a discussion on Ruger 22/45 LITE within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have one? What's your opinion? I just picked one up a week or so back. Only put 40 or 60 rounds through it so ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Ruger 22/45 LITE

Ruger 22/45 LITE

Anyone have one?

What's your opinion?

I just picked one up a week or so back. Only put 40 or 60 rounds through it so far, and I had to crank the rear sight all the way up. This was at about 12 yards. Maybe I need to set it for 25 yards and learn where the bullets hit at 12 or 7 yards.

Like the gun tho. Nice and light. No FTF or FTE's. I was using Walmart Winchester 333 bulk box. I think I need to try some CCI or Federal Automatch.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Yep, you need to try a range of different ammo, and definitely include some standard velocity stuff. FWIW, I haven't found the Fed Automatch to be particularly accurate in any of my .22 autos (rifle or pistol). On the other hand, the CCI "AR Tactical" has impressed the heck out of me with its accuracy.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks gasmitty. Yeah, it looked like a shotgun blast on the paper. I hope Federal 550 bulk pack works well in it, since I have a lot of that stuff. I haven't tried it yet.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I bought one just because I wanted a 22lr and my LGS had one for the same price as an SR22 which was still having wrinkles ironed out at the time. overall it's a good gun but I would prefer the 22/45 standard. the longer sight radius and longer barrel make the standards more quiat and easier to shoot accurately. the only real advantage the Lite has over the standard in my opinion is the barrel comes pre-threaded for a suppressor. if you do not plan to have it suppressed then get the standard, if you do get the lite.
    that's just my .02
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I've add the 22/45 lite as a training pistol for the newbies and it has worked out great. The ones I have all are on target at 7 yards out of the box and could product a group of 4" in the hands of a newbies. My grandsons can get it much tighter than that! Also they go through the rounds faster then I can buy a brick.

Advantages are the lighter weight and easy operation. We use the winchester super-X 40 grain copper solid. Like the SR-22 you'll need to try different rouynds to see what your likes.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

We have a 22/45 and while I like to shoot it and my kids love to shoot it, I HATE to take this gun down to clean it. Any gun that in the instructions tells you that you need a rubber mallet to do this, it isn't going to be real fun.

I am actually going to sell ours most likely and get a Ruger SR22 or something similar that takes down like a full size handgun and doesn't require any crazy maneuvers to clean it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Ruger 22/45 LITE

Purchased one a couple of months ago. We already have an sr22 and I liked the threaded barrel of the lite...for future suppresser hopefully. Make sure you take the front sight screw out and give a dab of Blue Locktite on it, it will come loose if not.

Thanks for the tip on the blue lock tite. I heard about the front sight screw. I can't wait to get it back out and shoot it some more.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    We have a 22/45 and while I like to shoot it and my kids love to shoot it, I HATE to take this gun down to clean it. Any gun that in the instructions tells you that you need a rubber mallet to do this, it isn't going to be real fun.

I am actually going to sell ours most likely and get a Ruger SR22 or something similar that takes down like a full size handgun and doesn't require any crazy maneuvers to clean it.
    I hate to hear this, etc. I want a Mark III but I'm also aware of the many reports that talk about the gun being a bear to re-assemble after cleaning it. I'm thinking something like this would make me sub-consciously want to shoot it less.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post

Mike, a pistol-length Bore Snake is your friend. You won't need to strip down your 22/45 more often than every several thousand rounds. I use an old toothbrush to clean the bolt face occasionally, and a toothpick to clean the extractor notch in the breech face. They don't need much more attention than that.
    tkruf likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Really Mike, once you've taken a Ruger Mk or 22/45 apart a couple times, it gets easier. Once they have been taken apart a few times, they go back together easier and break down easier. Most people have a hard time with "new" ones because they are so tight, they are hard to take apart, etc. but get easier after being taken apart a few times.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

my brother made the mistake of taking his 22/45 down after firing a brick of ammo out of it....took him forever to get it back together. now he refuses to strip it until it starts jamming and hes put over 3,000 rounds through it since and hasn't cleaned it yet. my brother in law has put over 2,000 through his and NEVER cleaned it. I never cleaned mine but I only have a few hundred rounds through it so I'm not a big stress tester yet.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

I bought one a few months ago, and my experiences pretty much echo what everyone else has said so far.

I almost lost my front sight because the screw backed out.

It shot very low out of the box with the federal bulk I shoot. American Eagle .40 grain shot a couple of inches lower at 30' than the Federal does.

The gun likes to be run wet. I get quite a few failures to extract, about one or two for every two or three mags. I really don't mind since I am using bulk ammo and its a range gun.

The first time I disassembled it was a pain, but that was the first time I have ever disassembled a one of these in general. I made the mistake of just watching a youtube video instead of reading the manual and actually thinking about what I was doing. After I realized the mistake I made, the gun isn't that difficult to disassemble and reassemble.

Overall, it is a very fun gun to shoot.

I had to replace some worn out parts on a friends Mark 3,once I read the instructions and learned the steps it's really not hard to disassenble/reassemble at all
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links