Locking gun in car/glove box

This is a discussion on Locking gun in car/glove box within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since we have a huge number of New Members and due to the fact we sometimes have to un-holster our guns and leave them in ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By Supraman762
  • 1 Post By Zsnake

Thread: Locking gun in car/glove box

Locking gun in car/glove box

Since we have a huge number of New Members and due to the fact we sometimes have to un-holster our guns and leave them in vehicles when entering some buildings,it's important that we make any attempt to steal our gun as difficult as possible.
    I prefer to use one of these and they are cheap and better security than a glove box that can be pried open pretty easily,they even have a set of four which drops the price to under $12 each plus shipping.
    In Car Gun Lockers.

In case you don't have a safe even tho I don't advocate loading and unloading a Carry gun while out in public,I will field strip the gun and take the slide/barrel assembly with me,if they break in they get a gun frame which cannot be used until they go to the problem of buying a new replacement slide/barrel assembly, parts which most street punks won't have the knowledge for since they may not even know the manufacturer of the frame.
    blanco64 and ANGLICO like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I use these in both my vehicles and love them. Good post
    oneshot likes this.

Was wondering where everybody mounts them, I would imagine you want it close enough that you can do this without having to get out of the car so you are still
    concealed however, that limits where you can mount it out of sight. I am very open to suggestions especially for small cars.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I prefer to use one of these and they are cheap and better security than a glove box that can be pried open pretty easily,they even have a set of four which drops the price to under $12 each plus shipping.
    In Car Gun Lockers.
    Am I blind because I dont see 4 for $12 each. More like just over $18. I would definitely order for 12.

I have a few GunVault brand units -- Small, three-number combination, steel cable, etc. Got 'em for under $25. Good stuff, cheap enough, convenient enough.

These: NV 300 | GunVault

$40...? Guess I got a better deal on them than I thought.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    I have a few GunVault brand units -- Small, three-number combination, steel cable, etc. Got 'em for under $25. Good stuff, cheap enough, convenient enough.

These: NV 300 | GunVault

$40...? Guess I got a better deal on them than I thought.
    I have the same one, and it's the perfect size for me.

My LGS sells them for about $25.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Since we have a huge number of New Members and due to the fact we sometimes have to un-holster our guns and leave them in vehicles when entering some buildings,it's important that we make any attempt to steal our gun as difficult as possible.
    In Car Gun Lockers.
    Do you really think they are harder to pry open than a glovebox? If they are, its probably just slightly.
    Attached Images

I took a empty metal ammo box (military style...hinge and clasp release) and lined it with foam. (you can purchase foam at a fabric shop)
    I then drilled a hole straight through the "ears" of the lid (opposite the hinge side) and the box itself. One of those cables you get for free when you buy a gun goes through the holes (Locking the box) and around the seat mount in your car/truck. If you need more "line" put another cable lock around the seat mount and then fasten the box cable through it.

Voila!

Cheap and easy. (My wife says I'm both! LOL)

I personally think that this offers more protection than the standard, off the shelf "safe".
    DocT65 likes this.

Fla
    My car has no trunk and no hidy holes. I don't like the glove box. I just bought two of these today at wally world sports section.
    Winchester 15" Cable Lock, CA DOJ Approved: Hunting : Walmart.com
    If I need to lock up my guns I will wrap it around the seat bracket and stuff under the seat with an old shirt on top.
    It will be OK for the short term and if the car gets stolen it MIGHT go un-noticed ( or hope so ) until the car is recovered.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I have one of the GunVault nanos. Very simliar. I wish I had a better place to put it in my car than where I usually do, someplace I could get to from the driver's seat.

Quote Originally Posted by badllama787 View Post
    Was wondering where everybody mounts them, I would imagine you want it close enough that you can do this without having to get out of the car so you are still
    concealed however, that limits where you can mount it out of sight. I am very open to suggestions especially for small cars.
    I don't "mount" mine. I use the included cable and secure it to the driver seat frame. Mine is for temporary storage only. If I'm in the car the gun is on me. When used it is tucked under the seat and I check to make sure the cable is not visible. My vehicle does not look appealing for a thief. No gun stickers, no fancy headphones laying in the seat, no "system", no navigation crap, no cupholder full of change, basically not much to steal. Sure if a thief has a lot of time they can unbolt the seat track, cut the cable, or pry it open. But for a smash and grab it is out of sight and will probably be left alone.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I have a similar lockbox (forgot the brand but looks the similar) and the combination stopped working just when I had it cabled to the wall at my f-inlaws cabin. I tried to slide a screwdriver under end with the cable to slip the cable out so I could fix it at home. As soon as I started to lift the top, the locking mechanism broke and it popped right open! This was one of the cheaper models similar to what was posted (again not sure of the brand) and i thought it would be a lot more secure then it was. I think these might be more for show or a deterrent but they will not stop someone with 30 seconds and a screwdriver. I do believe it is better than nothing and will be looking at something similar but with a different design.

I just want people to understand that most of these are not safes and are only lock boxes.

I'll get off the soap box now,
    Mark

Links