The Scarlet "W"

This is a discussion on The Scarlet "W" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm a member of a gun club with over 400 members from all walks of life. We have a "policy" that we attempt to politely ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: The Scarlet "W"

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

The Scarlet "W"

I'm a member of a gun club with over 400 members from all walks of life. We have a "policy" that we attempt to politely enforce where firearms are never referred to as "weapons" (the "W" word). I've been shooting since I was a very young boy, and everything was referred to as a rifle, a pistol, a shotgun, a firearm, etc. But the word "weapon" was never part of my vernacular. However, I know many current and former LEOs and Military who regularly use the term "weapon," and understandably so since that term is in all their training. I believe this initiative in part comes from the NRA and other pro-gun groups to change the language we use so that the non-gun owning public may do so also. Curious as to what others think about this. Is it a good idea or we just acquiescing to the current atmosphere that is so focused on "political correctness?"
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; December 16th, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Totally and completey PC.

It is a weapon. No, if ands and butts about it. If needed to do so it could kill.

Personally I'm quite tired of choosing words so as not to offend weak minded people.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I mostly agree, and think word usage should be as specific as the situation allows: weapon > gun > pistol

If a person has a 1911 and a Glock 17, he has two pistols. If he has a 1911 and an M1A, he has two guns (or firearms). If he has a pistol, a rifle, and a knife, he has three weapons.

I don't think it should be for purposes of not "scaring" people (or whatever), but for purposes of being as descriptive as possible without being pedantic.

VIP Member
    Call it what you want and tell the PC crowd to cram it.
    SIXTO, phreddy, zacii and 6 others like this.

Mine are weapons.

Austin

See my beard, ain't it wierd, don't be skeered it's just a beard....Lenon had a beard, Gabby Hayse had whiskers...
    George Carlin...

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    As I said in my original post, I grew up never using the word "weapon." Probably because my use was primarily for hunting. When I'm at the range shooting skeet, practicing with my pistols, or ranging in a rifle I naturally think in the terms of "firearm," "gun," or "rifle." But when I CCW (note the "W") I clearly and distinctively think of my pistol as a weapon based purely on intent of use for self-protection. So I guess my bottom line is that at a /range/, the term firearm is appropriate and maybe the best. But when my pistol is on my hip or next to my bed, it is best referred to as a weapon.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Weapon, tool, rifle, pistol, knife.

They're all the same thing. I don't concern myself with PC.
    atctimmy, JDE101, zacii and 1 others like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Moderator
    I call them machines. Lots of springs and little mechanical gizmos to make them work.

I guess you can call them whatever you want. Guns, killing machines, weapons, paperweights, lead injection rockets...calling it whatever doesnt change the function of it.

Unless of course I am in the company of tender minded people or my cousins in Massachusetts, then I call it my "weapon of potential mass murder"as a conversation starter.
    Rock and Glock, zacii and KBSR like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Agree with Blitz! Whatever you want to call it, if it does the job that you need it for, it is a tool!

More PC silliness. I just couldn't be bothered.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I think PC has gotten out of hand a a rock is a rock a dirt bag is a dirt bag and should be pounded flat with a rock
    KBSR likes this.

VIP Member
    Sometimes I call it a clip just to hear them howl.
    KBSR, atctimmy, wmhawth and 1 others like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Thanks for the post; since I go out of my way to be UN-PC I shall use the term weapon, plus it helps remind me it was designed to KILL. It is a DEADLY WEAPON and needs to be treated responsibly. And after watching a number of my buds in USMC boot-camp do the "This is my rifle, this is my gun" march I still can't bring myself to say "gun".

No matter where this originated, it is politically correct BS.

Please do not let anyone know that I cut my steak with a weapon, OK?
    KBSR likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links