Facebook post on what happen in CT. . .

This is a discussion on Facebook post on what happen in CT. . . within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I have a friend that is a teacher that posted this on his Facebook page. There has been some amazing dialog on this post ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Facebook post on what happen in CT. . .

So I have a friend that is a teacher that posted this on his Facebook page. There has been some amazing dialog on this post and I promised him that I would have a great reply. I am going to do some homework and put my own reply on his pagebut I wanted to see how some of you would reply to this.

This was posted today and I quote:

"
    Why can't people who support gun rights be the only ones shot during these incidents? Don’t misunderstand, I respect people’s right to an opinion in support of gun rights and do not actually wish ill upon them. Especially since I realize that many people I cherish are among this group. I would miss them dearly and aggressively seek justice for them. I just think it's not fair for those of us who don't support gun rights, and our children, to have to face this threat each and every day. We know that over 32, 000 deaths a year occur from gun violence. When researching further, I also find that the defensive use of guns rationale is difficult to attack and equally difficult to defend with statistics being all over the place. (They range from thousands to 2.5 million such uses. With supporting data that finds that most of these uses are themselves illegal (such as during a crime), unwarranted (such as investigating a noise in a backyard to find nothing), used in self defense against unarmed offenders, used during an escalating argument, used proactively to intimidate “offenders” who have not actually posed a threat, or used by police officers confronting armed suspects.)
    The best reason I have heard for keeping guns in private hands is to defend ourselves against a potentially corrupt government, such as in Syria, which was, after all, the original intent behind our "right to bear arms". I don’t know what the answer is to keeping us safe, but access to guns doesn’t seem to be the solution. At the very least, it is the cause of the problem itself. Would it help to give up some privacy rights? Do we need to spend more to secure ourselves against the illegal importation and sale of guns? Are we going to continue down this useless path of criminalization and building of yet more prisons to house the perpetrators? Would more social programs for youth help? Is the status quo simply the best of all the alternatives? Until we figure something else out, we seem to all be in the line of fire. So at least for now, let those who advocate living by the sword, die first.
    (Written from a place of fear, lets talk, I'm willing to change my mind, hopefully you are too)"

Thank you and I hope this is a very active thread.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    So I have a friend that is a teacher that posted this on his Facebook page. There has been some amazing dialog on this post and I promised him that I would have a great reply. I am going to do some homework and put my own reply on his pagebut I wanted to see how some of you would reply to this.

"
    Why can't people who support gun rights be the only ones shot during these incidents? Don’t misunderstand, I respect people’s right to an opinion in support of gun rights and do not actually wish ill upon them. Especially since I realize that many people I cherish are among this group. I would miss them dearly and aggressively seek justice for them. I just think it's not fair for those of us who don't support gun rights, and our children, to have to face this threat each and every day. We know that over 32, 000 deaths a year occur from gun violence. When researching further, I also find that the defensive use of guns rationale is difficult to attack and equally difficult to defend with statistics being all over the place. (They range from thousands to 2.5 million such uses. With supporting data that finds that most of these uses are themselves illegal (such as during a crime), unwarranted (such as investigating a noise in a backyard to find nothing), used in self defense against unarmed offenders, used during an escalating argument, used proactively to intimidate “offenders” who have not actually posed a threat, or used by police officers confronting armed suspects.)
    The best reason I have heard for keeping guns in private hands is to defend ourselves against a potentially corrupt government, such as in Syria, which was, after all, the original intent behind our "right to bear arms". I don’t know what the answer is to keeping us safe, but access to guns doesn’t seem to be the solution. At the very least, it is the cause of the problem itself. Would it help to give up some privacy rights? Do we need to spend more to secure ourselves against the illegal importation and sale of guns? Are we going to continue down this useless path of criminalization and building of yet more prisons to house the perpetrators? Would more social programs for youth help? Is the status quo simply the best of all the alternatives? Until we figure something else out, we seem to all be in the line of fire. So at least for now, let those who advocate living by the sword, die first.
    (Written from a place of fear, lets talk, I'm willing to change my mind, hopefully you are too)"

With all of the deepest respect from a former educator, this point alone tells me that you have no idea of the threat that we are facing.
    The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
    Spirit51, HotGuns, OD* and 12 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wonder how he/she came up with the "more than 32,000 deaths a year occur from gun violence." As far as I know, that number is consistent with the number of deaths by motor vehicle in the US, and deaths by guns amount to about 10K per year.
    Last edited by boricua; December 15th, 2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: correction
    bigmacque likes this.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I wonder how he/she came up with the "more than 32,000 deaths a year occur from gun violence." As far as I know, that number is consistent with the number of deaths by motor vehicle in the US, and deaths by guns amount to about 10K per year.
    ...and the majority of those are 'gangbanger on gangbanger'.
    DPro.40 and pittypat21 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...and the majority of those are 'gangbanger on gangbanger'.
    Exactly.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    The problem was, the killer had gun(s), no one else inside the school did. The lock-up system did not work, he simply shot it out and entered unhampered. There was no one inside the school prepared to challenge him.
    CharlesMorri, BkCo1 and phreddy like this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

First off, the fact that some of these shooters wear bulletproof vests or other protective clothing tells me that they don't want to get shot. That's why they wear these things and that's why they target gun free zones.

Why can't people who support gun rights be the only ones shot during these incidents?

Because cowards don't knowingly target those who believe in and exercise their Second Amendment rights.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    The government lists firearms deaths for 2011 as 31,547. This includes self defense, suicides, LEO involved shootings, gang bangers ect...
    Last edited by Gunnutty; December 15th, 2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

The FBI number for 2011 of Homicides is 14,000. Any other number is suspect and can range from accidents to suicides

FYI the number of Homicides is 1994 was 23,000 and has been decreasing every year. We have how many more guns in circulation than then? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    CharlesMorri and DandLfam like this.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    The FBI number for 2011 of Homicides is 14,000. Any other number is suspect and can range from accidents to suicides

FYI the number of Homicides is 1994 was 23,000 and has been decreasing every year. We have how many more guns in circulation than then? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Agreed!! The CDC lists the number of Homicides as 11,400 or so for 2011.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

It's like these people live in a fairyland. Guns are here to stay. That's all there is to it.

A man should not be cowering in fear in supposedly free society hoping that the government protects him. He should walk tall and utilize whatever tools are available to defend what's his.
    CharlesMorri likes this.

Lets just say your friends logic is...flawed. To quote:

"Why can't people who support gun rights be the only ones shot during these incidents?"

This is just as a bad as when someone suggests that people that are anti-gun and unwilling to defend themselves deserve to be shot.

To put it another way, do women that dress provocatively deserve to be raped before women that dresses conservatively?

This is no way to start a dialogue and I strongly suspect that your friend is not actually interested in one. Not a real one anyway.
    oneshot and Clodbert like this.

This is a great source for all issues relating to guns.

http://gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/...6_1_screen.pdf

Tell your friends about it. It will prove that most statistics used by the antis are either flawed or outright exaggerated!

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    First off, the fact that some of these shooters wear bulletproof vests or other protective clothing tells me that they don't want to get shot. That's why they wear these things and that's why they target gun free zones.

Why can't people who support gun rights be the only ones shot during these incidents?

Because cowards don't knowingly target those who believe in and exercise their Second Amendment rights.
    OH YEA!!! Just look at all the mass shootings that take place at gun shows around the cou....... er, well never mind.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post

"

This is without a doubt the most uneducated drivel I have ever read!
    Your "friend" has no clue about what they are talking about.
    If this post is produced by an "educator" they need a few more decades behind a school desk.
    Syria is the reason for us to keep and bear arms?!?! What a load of crap!💩
    lowercase likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links