Walmart Actual policy on selling ammo??

This is a discussion on Walmart Actual policy on selling ammo?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone know Walmarts actual policy on selling ammo? We are in NH, my 18 year old son has a CCW (age restriction of 21 ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tonivr
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By mrm

Thread: Walmart Actual policy on selling ammo??

Walmart Actual policy on selling ammo??

Does anyone know Walmarts actual policy on selling ammo? We are in NH, my 18 year old son has a CCW (age restriction of 21 dropped in NH) We seem to
    get a different situation each time at Walmart. Yesterday he went in to buy shotgun ammo, he was refused as he was not 21, was told it was state law. It's not and he knew it and told the guy that. Before it has varied from no questions, to asking for lic to prove he was over 18, to asking for his CCW. At that
    one he looked at the lady and said I'm buying shotgun ammo, not for my .45
    I was refused shotgun ammo at a Walmart about 2 years ago "because your female". I hit the roof and they had store manager, assistant manager there really quickly. I got my ammo, and they got a letter that if it happened again I would be suing for discrimination!

Lisa in NH
    Eagleks likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know their policy but maybe you could print out the state statute and present it to the store manager along with a copy of your previous letter.

VIP Member
    To the best of my knowledge, they follow the law of the state the store is located in. Of course, that doesn't mean the clerk knows the law.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

At my Walmart they follow state law.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

mrm
    First and foremost you have to consider the source the guy who works at my walmart in the guns cant spell guns let alone know what he is talking about concerning law.
    Black Knight likes this.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

At my Walmart they make up their own law. Such as putting a sign up that it is NYS law that you need a pistol permit or military / LE ID to purchase handgun ammo in their store. However you can purchase pistol ammo other places, also at LGS's without showing any form of ID. So I wouldn't put it past Walmart to do with they want, as they do with everything else..

I no longer buy ammo or anything there. That is all :)

StarPD45
    Can't speak for NH, but in our local Wallyworlds, we go to the counter, they unlock the case, pass it to us, we pay, and leave. No BS here.

Federal law prohibits the sale of handgun ammunition to those under 21. This includes rimfire ammo. To the best of my knowledge, New Hampshire has no similar or more restrictive state laws. I suspect your local Wal-Mart simply has a code buried in the SKU number which indicates some form of age restriction on purchase. Inconvenient, but a valid ID proving age of 18 or over should be all that's required for long gun ammo.

As to your denial for being female, well... depending on my frame of mind, I might be looking for a lawyer willing to take on Wal-Mart. (However, I wouldn't look to NOW or the ACLU for support.)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tonivr View Post
    Does anyone know Walmarts actual policy on selling ammo? We are in NH, my 18 year old son has a CCW (age restriction of 21 dropped in NH) We seem to
    get a different situation each time at Walmart. Yesterday he went in to buy shotgun ammo, he was refused as he was not 21, was told it was state law. It's not and he knew it and told the guy that. Before it has varied from no questions, to asking for lic to prove he was over 18, to asking for his CCW. At that
    one he looked at the lady and said I'm buying shotgun ammo, not for my .45
    I was refused shotgun ammo at a Walmart about 2 years ago "because your female". I hit the roof and they had store manager, assistant manager there really quickly. I got my ammo, and they got a letter that if it happened again I would be suing for discrimination!

Lisa in NH
    Good for you ....

The Policy is to follow the laws of the state the store is in.

Federal Law is : rifle & shotgun ammo can be sold to anyone 18 or older, and handgun ammo to anyone 21 and older.

Walmarts system is set up so it will flag the clerk , "IF" the ammunition can be used for a long gun / shotgun AND A handgun.... they are supposed to ask you which it is for , to
    determine if the age requirements are met.

At my age... it wouldn't matter which one it's for, as I'm well past the age requirements for either. However, the clerk asked me on .357 ammunition and I told him... "rifle" . Now , the clerk is a retired LEO I know, and he just looked at me funny and laughed..... and I told him "it is " ...... for a .357 marlin lever action rifle. That is what I was buying it for.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links