60 Minutes story on Sandy Hook tonight

This is a discussion on 60 Minutes story on Sandy Hook tonight within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just pleasantly surprised by Scott Pelley's story on 60 Minutes tonight on the Sandy Hook school tragedy. It focused on what the school ...

Thread: 60 Minutes story on Sandy Hook tonight

60 Minutes story on Sandy Hook tonight

I was just pleasantly surprised by Scott Pelley's story on 60 Minutes tonight on the Sandy Hook school tragedy. It focused on what the school nurse did and didn't see, the medical condition of the disturbed shooter, a couple of friends that spoke of the mother's love of target shooting (without demonizing her), and showed the guns used. They clearly pointed out that the rifle was a semi-auto version of the military M16, and then went on to cleary explain that it fires one round for each pull of the trigger. No mention of hi-cap magazines, gun control politics, or anything else.

Just a straight forward account. I'm sure there will be skewed stories from CBS down the road, but not tonight. Like I said, I was pleasantly surprised.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That is a surprise
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Glad they gave a good story. Scott Pelley is one of my favorites.

I caught that also, surprised me that they didn't call it a machine gun. Was pleasantly pleased with the accurate description of the weapon.
    "Those without swords can still die upon them."

JUST FOR CLARIFICATION ..... there is video of them removing the gun OUT OF THE TRUNK of the car ...... and it is NOT an AR by any means.

Police Find Rifle In Trunk Of Car In Sandy Hook Parking Lot: Newtown Connecticut School Shooting - YouTube

# 1 ---- -the kids were NOT shot with an AR ...
    # 2 ...... the "rifle" ... was found by police "IN THE TRUNK OF THE CAR ..........
    # 2 ...... one MD doing autopsies stated, most kids were shot at longer range and not close up .... only a few were shot at close range.

CBS..... is full of it, like normal.... and don't have their facts right, and are following their agenda.... rather than accurate news and reporting.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

NMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    JUST FOR CLARIFICATION ..... there is video of them removing the gun OUT OF THE TRUNK of the car ...... and it is NOT an AR by any means.

Police Find Rifle In Trunk Of Car In Sandy Hook Parking Lot: Newtown Connecticut School Shooting - YouTube

# 1 ---- -the kids were NOT shot with an AR ...
    # 2 ...... the "rifle" ... was found by police "IN THE TRUNK OF THE CAR ..........
    # 2 ...... one MD doing autopsies stated, most kids were shot at longer range and not close up .... only a few were shot at close range.

CBS..... is full of it, like normal.... and don't have their facts right, and are following their agenda.... rather than accurate news and reporting.
    Looks to me like that was the shotgun they found in the vehicle.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    Looks to me like that was the shotgun they found in the vehicle.
    Me too !!
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Medical Examiner said today that all victims were shot with a rifle. The shotgun was in the car.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    Medical Examiner said today that all victims were shot with a rifle. The shotgun was in the car.
    Not the one I saw on the news last night..... that is not what they said. Was this reported, or you actually hear the Examiner say it ? What I heard, was straight out of the mouth of the Supervising Examiner who reviewed each autopsy being done and the results. ... and not what was said last night.

My wife says that "This Week" with George Stephanopoulis (spelling?) was very good this morning. She says in particular it discussed on the role of mental illness and how privacy laws are disempowering parents to be aware of what's going on with their kids.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

VIP Member
    Not the one I saw on the news last night..... that is not what they said. Was this reported, or you actually hear the Examiner say it ? What I heard, was straight out of the mouth of the Supervising Examiner who reviewed each autopsy being done and the results. ... and not what was said last night.
    http://http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-nn-connecticut-school-shooting-assault-rifle-20121216,0,3808586.story

From the article: "Lanza, 20, fired a Bushmaster .223 semiautomatic rifle to kill many of the 20 children and six adults at the school Friday, Connecticut State Police Lt. J. Paul Vance said. He used a Glock 10-millimeter handgun to shoot himself in the head. He also carried at Sig Sauer pistol. A shotgun, the type of which was not identified, was found in the trunk of Lanza’s car outside the school.

“The Bushmaster was used in the school, in its entirety, and [a] handgun was used to take his own life,” Vance said."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

He said it last night too, that every projectile he recovered was .223

Links