Would a name other than AR change things?

This is a discussion on Would a name other than AR change things? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; AR. This abbreviation can stand for various things depending on who you ask. It can stand for Assault Rifle, or Automatic Rifle. In both cases, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Would a name other than AR change things?

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

AR. This abbreviation can stand for various things depending on who you ask. It can stand for Assault Rifle, or Automatic Rifle. In both cases, the "A" is what frightens many gun-haters across the world. Lety's examine the "A".

From Dictionary.com

-as·sault [uh-sawlt] noun
    1. a sudden, violent attack; onslaught: an assault on tradition.
    2. Law. an unlawful physical attack upon another; an attempt or offer to do violence to another, with or without battery, as by holding a stone or club in a threatening manner.
    3. Military . the stage of close combat in an attack.

-au·to·mat·ic [aw-tuh-mat-ik] adjective
    1. having the capability of starting, operating, moving, etc., independently: an automatic sprinkler system; an automatic car wash.
    2. Physiology . occurring independently of volition, as certain muscular actions; involuntary.
    3. done unconsciously or from force of habit; mechanical: an automatic application of the brakes.
    4. occurring spontaneously: automatic enthusiasm.
    5. (of a firearm, pistol, etc.) utilizing the recoil or part of the force of the explosive to eject the spent cartridge shell, introduce a new cartridge, cock the arm, and fire it repeatedly.

In one case, we have a rifle that is used in a sudden, unlawful, violent attack on someone. In the other case, we have a rifle that has the capability of operating on its own, involuntarily, spontaneously and repeatedly. If you did not know anything about a firearm, either of these terms would scare the crap out of you and, of course, influence your opinions on whether or not these types of weapons are suitable for the general public. This could be a major part of the fear in this country.

Now, let's pretend they had been called by a different name. Let's call them SDRs, or, Self Defense Rifles.

self [self] plural selves, adjective, pronoun, plural selves, verb.
    noun
    1. a person or thing referred to with respect to complete individuality: one's own self.
    2. a person's nature, character, etc.: his better self.
    3. personal interest.

de·fense [dih-fens or especially for 7, 9, dee-fens] noun, verb, de·fensed, de·fens·ing.
    noun
    1. resistance against attack; protection: Two more regiments are needed for the defense of the city.
    2. something that defends, as a fortification, physical or mental quality, or medication: This fort was once the main defense of the island.

Wow! On one hand we have a weapon used to assault or attack, and the other hand we have a weapon used to defend one's self against such an attack..for protection. But they are one in the same.

I wonder if a gun by any other name, would still be the same.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    Well, a dictionary definition is one thing. Etymology, is another. With apologies to German language experts, Hitler's Nazis coined the terms, "Sturmgewehr" and "Maschinenpistole", which translate to the terms "assault" and "automatic", as modifying a rifle or pistol, respectively, and are intended to embolden those who carry them and to "scare the crap" out of those on the wrong end of their barrel.
    Sometimes a rifle is just a rifle.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

If only they weren't black! Everyone knows black rifles are evil!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Moderator
    Thats a thought.

We could rename it...the BG15.

Black Gun 15.

Or the IBR...infinitly buildable rifle.
    Or even the MFYCHWYPO...most fun you can have with your pants on.

On the other hand if we changed the official name once every Christmas, the new media would never be able to figure out what to call it.

Now there is a strategy.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I've read that the AR actually stands for Armalite, the designing company of the rifle. Of course that matters little to the press and politicians. They labeled it an assault weapon, and lately I've been hearing them label all 'assault rifles' as "weapons of mass destruction" on TV. Give me a break. No hysterics are too wild, no lie too big.
    STALKER37_19D likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Brady has it right. AR was the original designator for Armalite Rifle, not assault rifle.
    MASSIVE likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

It is armalite rifle. But because of the term AR I know people who think AK stands for assault rifle in Russian.

Gents (and ladies) you can put a diamond in a goat's butt...but, sorry, it's STILL A GOAT'S BUTT! If the media or public opinion was all about "words" we could simply change the title "War on Poverty" to "Drive for Prosperity" and everyone's IRA would magically triple in value. The administration could change the desk plaque of the "Drug Czar" to "Health Emperor" and methamphetamine would (poof) disappear.

I wonder if if a gun by any other name, would still be the same.
    I think YB15 has a nice ring to it, for "Yellow Buttercup".
    deadguy likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

AR = Armalite Rifle.

//thread
    "Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." ~ Thomas Jefferson
    "Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness." ~ Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

anyone ever heard the media call it an Armalite Rifle?

Usually the sensationalist media calls it "the semi-automatic version of the M16 fully-automatic assault rifle issued to U.S. Army soldiers in Afghanistan". That's why I vote Yellow Buttercup.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sport utility rifle...
    deadguy, MASSIVE and Hopyard like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    If you were to poll the nation, I would bet that at least 80% thought AR stood for assault rifle. I wonder how much that designation actually plays into the public perception of the weapon?
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    If you were to poll the nation, I would bet that at least 80% thought AR stood for assault rifle. I wonder how much that designation actually plays into the public perception of the weapon?
    That's my point right there. I've been around guns for a long time, but I am not into ARs. I also did not know that AR stood for Armalite. If a gun lover is ignorant about these type things, imagine the ignorance among those that know nothing but what they hear and see on television.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    If you were to poll the nation, I would bet that at least 80% thought AR stood for assault rifle...public perception of the weapon...
    I'll take that bet & give you 2-to-1 odds for $20. 'Cause I don't think 80% of "the public" can SPELL well enough to...make the connection. And I don't think more than 5% of "the public" would care enough (either way) to participate in the poll. Remember, this year more than 40 out of every 100 eligible voters were people who decided they had something "more important" to do than vote on Election Day. You still wanna' bet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links