Serenity now....serenity now Let's calm down

This is a discussion on Serenity now....serenity now Let's calm down within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Archery - but darn hard to "pocket carry."...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Serenity now....serenity now Let's calm down

Distinguished Member
    Archery - but darn hard to "pocket carry."
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Indeed, folks need to calm down.

We had an AWB for 10 years, and the sky didn't fall.

We had a 10-round mag. limit for 10 years, and the sky didn't fall.

The UN didn't take over. Jackbooted thugs didn't come grab everyone's Henry Lever-action Golden-boy.

The USA is clearly pissed about all the mass-shootings, and they are taking it out on assault weapons and high-capacity mags.

Will there be a new AWB and 10-round mag. limit? Maybe so.

Will it mean the end of the world? NO. Will it mean the mean the end of gun-rights? NO.

deep breaths. deep breaths. hot herbal tea.
    Hopyard and kb2wji like this.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Not me, I'm stocking up on glass and nails for the blunderbuss

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Archery - but darn hard to "pocket carry."
    A crossbow isn't much harder to carry than a rifle. OK, so it's single shot.

I do not want to minimize the tragedy, but when things like this happen, the public demands that their elected representatives take some sort of action. "I voted for you. Now do something!!!"

The only thing that a lawmaker can do on your behalf is make a law. Scream and the laws will be made.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    Not me, I'm stocking up on glass and nails for the blunderbuss
    Please... like those won't be banned.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    Indeed, folks need to calm down.

We had an AWB for 10 years, and the sky didn't fall.

We had a 10-round mag. limit for 10 years, and the sky didn't fall.

The UN didn't take over. Jackbooted thugs didn't come grab everyone's Henry Lever-action Golden-boy.

The USA is clearly pissed about all the mass-shootings, and they are taking it out on assault weapons and high-capacity mags.

Will there be a new AWB and 10-round mag. limit? Maybe so.

Will it mean the end of the world? NO. Will it mean the mean the end of gun-rights? NO.

deep breaths. deep breaths. hot herbal tea.
    There are several things worth mentioning. The first is that such a ban, if limited to what you say, will not prevent such tragedies from happening again. Other guns can be used. Passing laws merely to "do something" is one of the reasons we have so many bad laws on the books.

The second is that should the political will to restrict firearms be maintained, then in the wake of the next tragedy the argument will be "we did not do enough." In response, additional restrictions will be enacted. No more semi-automatic weapons. Revolvers and lever, bolt, or pump actions only. Three round magazine limits on long guns. Punitive taxes. Ammunition taxes. Background checks for private sales (which will kill private sales). And so on.

The third is that the president has another term, and if a conservative justice retires, then the McDonald and Heller decisions could be easily overturned. I would hope that the S. Ct. would adhere to stare decisis, but I do not have confidence that a liberal majority would do so.

Do not be so complacent in your belief that we will merely go back to where we were before. Bill Clinton was a moderate. Barack Obama is to the left of Bill Clinton. Likewise, the democratic party has moved to the left since the 1990's, and the republicans have drifted a bit more toward the center. This is not the same country it was 20 years ago. While there have been many 2A victories, those victories came with the patience and wisdom to select the right cases to advance. And these victories were more or less quiet and under the radar. As a result, guns are more accepted now than they were 20 years ago. But that pendulum can easily swing back, and the media and the anti-gun parties are pushing hard on that pendulum.

I understand your calm, and I believe it is based on the belief that we are in for no more than what we have seen before. I certainly hope you are right. But the anger and outcry now runs deeper that it did, say, in the wake of the 1989 Stockton schoolyard shooting. Thus the concerns of many on this forum are not without merit.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    There are several things worth mentioning. The first is that such a ban, if limited to what you say, will not prevent such tragedies from happening again. Other guns can be used. Passing laws merely to "do something" is one of the reasons we have so many bad laws on the books.

The second is that should the political will to restrict firearms be maintained, then in the wake of the next tragedy the argument will be "we did not do enough." In response, additional restrictions will be enacted. No more semi-automatic weapons. Revolvers and lever, bolt, or pump actions only. Three round magazine limits on long guns. Punitive taxes. Ammunition taxes. Background checks for private sales (which will kill private sales). And so on.

The third is that the president has another term, and if a conservative justice retires, then the McDonald and Heller decisions could be easily overturned. I would hope that the S. Ct. would adhere to stare decisis, but I do not have confidence that a liberal majority would do so.

Do not be so complacent in your belief that we will merely go back to where we were before. Bill Clinton was a moderate. Barack Obama is to the left of Bill Clinton. Likewise, the democratic party has moved to the left since the 1990's, and the republicans have drifted a bit more toward the center. This is not the same country it was 20 years ago. While there have been many 2A victories, those victories came with the patience and wisdom to select the right cases to advance. And these victories were more or less quiet and under the radar. As a result, guns are more accepted now than they were 20 years ago. But that pendulum can easily swing back, and the media and the anti-gun parties are pushing hard on that pendulum.

I understand your calm, and I believe it is based on the belief that we are in for no more than what we have seen before. I certainly hope you are right. But the anger and outcry now runs deeper that it did, say, in the wake of the 1989 Stockton schoolyard shooting. Thus the concerns of many on this forum are not without merit.
    Like Roe vs. Wade, I believe Heller & McDonald are going to be considered legal precident

as to other guns being used for massacres, yes this will happen.

but, removing high-capacity magazines may reduce the body-count.

yeah...i know....big deal. But its something.

Im not the one writing the law. so I don't know.

Senior Moderator
    There is another thread going about the fact that we do not learn from history.

Pythius, you may be too young to remember, or maybe being from Queens you just haven't see it...I don't know.

Its not about magazine limits. Its about the incremental,slow and eventually elimination of private gun ownership.
    Many countries in the last 20 years have already achieved this goal.

They didn't come after them all at once. They did it a bit at a time.

They started with the high caps mags. When they became not so available, there were more massacres with 10 round magazines. Guess what? They justified doing away with 10 round magazines because "nobody needed them". They used the same rhetoric to eliminate them that some of our own members here are spouting.

Eventually, they'll get you down to 6. What that will do at that time is basically outlaw semi autos.

When that option is gone, guess what comes next? Thats right, the right to own gun mysteriously disappears and officials start changing the English language and saying that "self defense is not a valid reason to own a gun", in spite of the fact that it is the ONLY reason to own a gun. Say it long enough, loud enough and the cannon-fodder types in society will start believing it.

So, try to educate yourself and learn from history...instead of contributing to the ignorance of the masses.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Please... like those won't be banned.
    What the glass or the nails?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    There is another thread going about the fact that we do not learn from history.

Pythius, you may be too young to remember, or maybe being from Queens you just haven't see it...I don't know.

Its not about magazine limits. Its about the incremental,slow and eventually elimination of private gun ownership.
    Many countries in the last 20 years have already achieved this goal.....
    we had an AWB for 10 years. we had a 10-round mag. limit for 10 years.

they both expired in 2003. That's the reverse of incrimental elimination of gun rights.

The Right to Keep & Bear Arms is a personal right. This is now established Constitutional opinion and law. Its legal precedent.

Will assault weapons & 10+ round magazines get banned? Its possible.

will rifles & shotguns be banned? nope. will handguns get banned? nope.

I think folks simply need to calm down, relax, and think rationally.

VIP Member
    we had an AWB for 10 years. we had a 10-round mag. limit for 10 years.

they both expired in 2003. That's the reverse of incrimental elimination of gun rights.

The Right to Keep & Bear Arms is a personal right. This is now established Constitutional opinion and law. Its legal precedent.

Will assault weapons & 10+ round magazines get banned? Its possible.

will rifles & shotguns be banned? nope. will handguns get banned? nope.

I think folks simply need to calm down, relax, and think rationally.
    He's right guys. Just let them have what they want. They won't take too much and we can all live without those things anyway. It won't be so bad. The world won't end. Oh, don't worry. The Second Amendment is safe and secure, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    He's right guys. Just let them have what they want. They won't take too much and we can all live without those things anyway. It won't be so bad. The world won't end. Oh, don't worry. The Second Amendment is safe and secure, I promise.
    now that's the spirit!!

glad to see you came around.

VIP Member
    now that's the spirit!!

glad to see you came around.
    Yeah! Me too!!! I like it over here; my free cell phone is probably in the mail already!

I'm actually thinking that if, errr scratch that, when the government does their first assault weapons buyback, I'm going to take part! I think I'll sell them one of my prized ARs for... let's see... How about... TEXAS! I think that'll be pretty fair overall. I'll get my state back and there'll be one less evil black rifle on the street. Well, actually not really because I never leave mine on the street anyway, but that's not the point.

Don't worry guys, once I get Texas, I'll be reinstating the Second Amendment and ya'll are free to come visit, or live. Just bring your own rifles, cause you can't have mine.
    Pythius likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Roll over much? Don't forget, the founders gave us a republic, but it's up to us to keep it. Who is "they" anyway? The people who put party above principal and don't support and defend the ideas that they have sworn to uphold? If you think the second is secure, just look at what "they" are systematically doing to the fourth - NDAA, CISPA, Patriot Act, etc.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    Roll over much? Don't forget, the founders gave us a republic, but it's up to us to keep it. Who is "they" anyway? The people who put party above principal and don't support and defend the ideas that they have sworn to uphold? If you think the second is secure, just look at what "they" are systematically doing to the fourth - NDAA, CISPA, Patriot Act, etc.
    Sarcasm detector is on the fritz...
    TX expat likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links