Crime rate amongst those with CCW?

This is a discussion on Crime rate amongst those with CCW? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It seems to be commonly accepted that citizens with a CCW commit fewer crimes on average than the general population. Does anyone know of a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By NETim

Thread: Crime rate amongst those with CCW?

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

It seems to be commonly accepted that citizens with a CCW commit fewer crimes on average than the general population. Does anyone know of a good information source with statistics that support this (links I could reference if you know of them)? Is there a national summary or is this just by state?

From the Texas Dept of Public Safety website. Multiple years of TX permit holder's conviction rates vs the general public.

Texas DPS - CHL Conviction Rates Reports
    MASSIVE and noway2 like this.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (19202006)

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    NETim, Thank You Very Much! I appreciate the link.

. BTW, it was perfect and the information I was looking for. As you can imagine, the Conn shooting has come up in other forums, including an engineering forum I subscribe to. One person took great exception to my claim that those with CC permits are statistically more law abiding than the average citizen and rather than voicing issues with my data threw personal insults. Another forum member started spouting off about how he sees people brandishing in response to road rage several times a week in Houston. His quote was, "this happens on a daily and nightly basis in Houston..every fifth or sixth time a "law abiding citizen" loses his temper, he starts waving a pistol in the air."

According to the data from the Texas Dept of Public Safety in your link, according to the latest data, people with CC permits are convicted of about 0.18% of the crimes, yet the most recent figures (permits active / population) puts the CC permit holders at about 2% of the population. So, in essence, 2% of the population is committing less than 0.2% of the crimes.

I have also been told that CHL holders in Texas also commit crimes at a lower rate than police officers. I wish I had a concrete source for this information.

Uber low, in state after state.

To my knowledge, there isn't a requirement to report the state stats nationally. I'm sure someone has compiled a summary from all those state summaries, but keep in mind the basic stats and how they're compiled/computed vary from state to state. Unknown if accurate comparison can be made, if they differ enough in what the state data contains.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

All in all still very interesting. Will definitely continue to follow this thread. Good work.

It seems those that oppose guns will not accept the fact now that 49 states have carry laws America did not turn in to the "Wild Wild West".
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Going to confuse people with more facts eh? Fabulous.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Here are some numbers for Connecticut: GUN PERMITS

What's missing is a current number of CT permits; best data available is an estimate of 143,000 in 1999. The same source (an attorney who specializes in gun issues) also states that the largest number of revocations each year are due to orders of protection (OOP), including restraining orders. Most of these are temporary in nature. So if we assume half of the revocations due to OOPs which ultimately expire, the annual revocation rate is less than one half of one percent of CT permit holders.

I did some quick estimations and it appears that slightly over 8% of Connecticut's over-21 population has carry permits. If 0.5% of these are revoked, that amounts to 0.04% of the population over 21, which is a tiny, tiny number, probably not statistically significant.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsored Links