President speech today on gun violence

This is a discussion on President speech today on gun violence within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I believe our president made a speech today stating that over 10,000 people every year are killed from gun violence, does anybody know where he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: President speech today on gun violence

I believe our president made a speech today stating that over 10,000 people every year are killed from gun violence, does anybody know where he got his figures from, are they being inflated, do you think they are also including the deaths of people we're a weapon was used to save a life, and I would be guessing he is also including any deaths that have been from a police officer doing his duties, I hope somebody in the news media demands to hear where he got these figures from and how accurate they are. And I wish they would also compare the accurate figures against all other deaths in this country that are preventable like having cars on the road that'll do 130 miles an hour, and alcohol related deaths where the only purpose alcohol is for is to make people feel better because it messes up the way you think and make them get intoxicated then they get behind the wheel of a car and innocent people get killed.
    Macantic and Ackley like this.

VIP Member
    He's the President.....his figures CAN'T be wrong. As to the media challenging his figures, that's not going to happen. They fit the media's agenda.
    Ackley and nmbr5ml like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

According to this FBI — Table 20 firearms murdered 8583 people in 2011. So....that's not over 10,000. But maybe he was including people killed in wars in other countries?

Austin

About 40,000 per year die on US highways per year, Why don't we ban cars while were at it.

8583 firearm deaths - gang and drug crime - robberies and other violent crime= more like the real number. So getting tough on crime with current laws solves most of our issues. Then kick in better treatment solutions for the mentally ill and we can just skip the stealing of our rights. Until then I need my one lonely firearm to protect from the above mayhem!
    aus71383 likes this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

VIP Member
    He should be spending his time working on the "cliff" and unemployment issues not campaigning. Hate to say it but we need another crisis to change his focus, like a storm or something. When does he go to Hawaii for a month?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    According to this FBI — Table 20 firearms murdered 8583 people in 2011. So....that's not over 10,000. But maybe he was including people killed in wars in other countries?

Austin
    Never allow facts to distort a teleprompter reading.
    aus71383 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    He said, 10K when the real number is 8583. So what, I would have said 10K too. Lets not get sidetracked about small meaningless details and start working to fight against this upcoming bill.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    He said, 10K when the real number is 8583. So what, I would have said 10K too. Lets not get sidetracked about small meaningless details and start working to fight against this upcoming bill.
    10k is a big difference from 8600. Even rounding up, you get 9k. 1400+ isn't a small difference
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Liars figure, and figures lie. Someone wiser than I knew that to be true, back when. It still is.

He's not the source of the data, of course, and he's got a small army of folks feeding him data and speeches on all topics. At the core, he's relying on the FBI/CDC and other summary stats. The rough ~10K number has been largely true, in some years higher, now (apparently) currently lower. The real threat is not about the numbers, but what they mean and how they can ever-so-easily be misconstrued and/or twisted to fit an agenda or ulterior motives.

Where's the "howling" about proper defensive designs for facilities, proper training/staffing for facilities? Doesn't play as well in a rabid press, 'cause there's not enough "blood" on such subjects to matter a damn. And so long as we blatantly disregard the whole of the problem, what'll be left is a string of victims twisting in the wind due to failure to be defended or capable of defending themselves. It is what it is.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    His lips were moving werent they?

Why would anyone think that he wasnt lying? I mean...really? People havent figured that out yet?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

10,000? Oh he meant in his hometown of Chicago.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

VIP Member
    Did he account for the deaths he is responsible for...F&F...Libya...?
    aus71383 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

OK per the release on Dec.8 at 248pm EST by FBI for 2012 Firarms killed 11,493 but non fire arm killings were 16,799.

obamas been waiting for an excuse to try taking are guns away and hes taking full advantage of the recent shootings. i wont ever give my guns up or my extended clips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links