Cops with rifles....

This is a discussion on Cops with rifles.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm in New York City sight seeing for the day today. I just walked past the apple store on my way walking to Rockefeller center ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Cops with rifles....

Cops with rifles....

I'm in New York City sight seeing for the day today. I just walked past the apple store on my way walking to Rockefeller center and there were 5 New York police officers armed with ar-15s as well as a k9 dog standing directly across the street from the big glass very crowded very popular apple store. They were standing around laughing and there were no sirens or flashing lights or anything going on that made me feel like they were called to respond to anything. Looked as if that was their standard patrol station/spot. Is this normal? I come every year around Christmas and have never seen this. Or is this what the world is coming to after the new town event?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Yeah.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

They were probably ESU officers, and they were stationed there as visual deterrence.,
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    They were probably ESU officers, and they were stationed there as visual deterrence.,
    "...visual deterrence....".........So if firearms are a deterrence, then wouldn't arming a couple of teachers or principals work?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    "...visual deterrence....".........So if firearms are a deterrence, then wouldn't arming a couple of teachers or principals work?
    it works in Israel. I agree, I think those teachers &administrators who are licensed and want to carry, should be allowed to. Gun free zone=victims IMO.
    aus71383 likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm not sure what an ESU officer is but if I'm the mayor of New York and I'm setting up "ESU Officers with AR-15s for visual deterrence" I'm going to put them in other places rather than in front of an apple store. Times Square, Rockefeller Center are both extremely crowded places that I have been to also today without any sign of cops armed with rifles. Seem like much more important places than an apple store, no?

ESU=emergency services unit. I hope Bloomberg has very little say in day to day NYPD operations.From the OP, it doesn't seem like the Apple store was far from Rockefeller Center.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    ESU=emergency services unit. I hope Bloomberg has very little say in day to day NYPD operations.From the OP, it doesn't seem like the Apple store was far from Rockefeller Center.
    Rockefeller center is 8?+ blocks away and a couple blocks to the side. And they weren't walking at all they were standing. If they had to respond to a call at Rockefeller center it would take them 10+ minutes to run there. Especially with the crowds they'd have to push through. There weren't even cops at Rockefeller center just unarmed guys in coats with "Rockefeller security" patches on them.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I'll be DARNED if I sit by and have you use logic in this issue!
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

That is their job. As said above, it's their visual presence that is supposed to deter crimes. Go to Grand Central, they are always their with Rifles / MP5's as well as k9's. Especially nearing holiday season.

Il have to keep my eyes open for them when I get back to the train station. I just never remembered seeing them before. Thanks for chiming in u gave me the answer I was looking for wether it was normal or not.

Did any serious or violent crimes happen in the area that day?

Its the same as cops "driving around" or patrolling in a marked patrol car. Visual presence to deter crime.

Three weeks ago a business like that would complain if cops stood in front of their store like that. This week, they couldnt be happier to have a few popo's stand out front. Amazing how opinions change so quickly.
    aus71383 likes this.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    Il have to keep my eyes open for them when I get back to the train station. I just never remembered seeing them before. Thanks for chiming in u gave me the answer I was looking for wether it was normal or not.
    Yeah it's normal. I've always seen it at grand central... cops and k9's all over the place... at least 6-8 cops, and at least two k9's. When I go down to see the tree with my girl, which is almost every year...not this year though...they are pretty well armed and usually at most of the entrances / exits of Grand Central... and a few at the ticket windows, and others that are near the entrances to the trains.

I've seen patrolmen with rifles out on NY streets maybe once or twice.. so can't say if that is normal, but I wouldn't rule it out. I've also seen lots of k9 units on the streets, but never with their dogs out... just parked somewhere and out of their vehicles with the door to the k9 open on the rear of the truck but with the cage closed.

StarPD45
    Maybe they are looking for oversize soft drinks.
    revldm and Eagleks like this.

No offense to the cops in NY, but given the way they shoot I hope those ARs aren't loaded. They might hit a hundred bystanders next time.
    Eagleks likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links