Had a close call at work today...

This is a discussion on Had a close call at work today... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 I work security for the Wal-Mart. It's no secret we are under equipped and the rules are a bunch of crap. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Had a close call at work today...

Quote Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
    I work security for the Wal-Mart. It's no secret we are under equipped and the rules are a bunch of crap. Today, while at the sporting goods counter on a break, a guy that had been denied a gun purchase a few mins before, had a breakdown, he picked up an axe, removed the sheath and began to storm around swinging it and yelling at people. He was visibly disturbed, I immediately placed a call to the state police barracks around the corner, we have a great relationship with them, and I told them I had a violent man in the store and I needed them ASAP. I kept my distance while keeping an eye on him, he didn't hurt anyone luckily. Within 3 minutes the state police arrived in force and took him down at gun point, he was arrested and later found to have been drunk, high and was a previously admitted to a mental hospital. I found myself wishing I was allowed to carry concealed at work, because had he decided to assault someone I only had blunt objects to fight back with. It all ended well and I'm very glad he was not able to buy a gun, who knows what would have happened. Stay safe everyone

Yep, I would say that a man swinging an ax and yelling at people inside the Walmart definitely qualifies as "visibly disturbed"

Glad it ended safely.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"

2. Remove Ads

Wow scary situation! You did a great job!

Update: He just came back to the store, Troopers were called and he claimed to have no memory of yesterday and did not know he was trespassed. He was arrested for criminal trespassing and on the way out he lunged at me. What a day haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait he was denied a gun? That doesn't happen, its too easy to get them legally that's why we need more regulations! Sarcasm off.

Glad you are ok! Sounds like you did everything right. Stay safe.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Well done, smart move calling the Police quickly....

Thanks guys, hoping to never see his face again, he was very hostile in my office today even with three troopers here

VIP Member
    Glad you were ok! My son works there and they have some good programs for the workers.
    My other point is the system works, the mental guy was denied a gun. Program works no need for gun control.

I think the company gets a bad rep overall. The store I work in has a great management team and I enjoy the job, pays not the best but work is work right now.

When seconds count the police are only three minutes away......

Seriously, it sounds like you guys have a good system in place given what you have to work with. You're lucky the cops are able to respond pretty quickly, though a determined attacker can do a ton of damage in three minutes. Glad it worked out the way it did, could've been ugly.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
    Good handling of a bad situation.

I've never seen a no carry sign at Wal-Marts so I thought it was legal. Is it a legal issue or an employee policy issue that you cannot carry at work?

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Employee issue. Employees are not allowed to carry while on the clock or have it in the car while on the clock. Off the clock there's no set rules, I ALWAYS carry when I'm in the store off the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Three minutes under an "upraised knife" is a long, long, loooooooooooong time.

Had he truly had murderous plans, or even merely the will to carry out his threats, you and many like you could easily have been erased in that 3mins time.

Good job on the containment, though.

For those who don't get it: situations like this are why we go armed, 'cause ya never know when lightning's gonna strike.
    You got that right brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
    Employee issue. Employees are not allowed to carry while on the clock or have it in the car while on the clock. Off the clock there's no set rules, I ALWAYS carry when I'm in the store off the clock.

Gotcha.
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Trust me if he had gotten violent to the point I felt myself or others would have been in danger I would have gotten physical with him, I would have lost my job for it, but that's neither here nor there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links