Had a close call at work today...

This is a discussion on Had a close call at work today... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I work security for the Wal-Mart. It's no secret we are under equipped and the rules are a bunch of crap. Today, while at the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Had a close call at work today...

I work security for the Wal-Mart. It's no secret we are under equipped and the rules are a bunch of crap. Today, while at the sporting goods counter on a break, a guy that had been denied a gun purchase a few mins before, had a breakdown, he picked up an axe, removed the sheath and began to storm around swinging it and yelling at people. He was visibly disturbed, I immediately placed a call to the state police barracks around the corner, we have a great relationship with them, and I told them I had a violent man in the store and I needed them ASAP. I kept my distance while keeping an eye on him, he didn't hurt anyone luckily. Within 3 minutes the state police arrived in force and took him down at gun point, he was arrested and later found to have been drunk, high and was a previously admitted to a mental hospital. I found myself wishing I was allowed to carry concealed at work, because had he decided to assault someone I only had blunt objects to fight back with. It all ended well and I'm very glad he was not able to buy a gun, who knows what would have happened. Stay safe everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Wow. I am sure they don't pay you close to enough to have to deal with a situation like that one. Well done.
    darbo and nerdyvirgin like this.

It was stressful, thankfully our local state troopers know I don't call unless I need them, and they pulled off a true show of force tonight, not something I want to be a part of again.

darbo likes this.

Where was this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

he picked up an axe, removed the sheath and began to storm around swinging it and yelling at people.
    Uh oh, don't let the Biden Commission hear about this, we'll all have to turn in our axes...

Seriously, job well done, no one but BG was hurt, alls well that ends well.
    bgusty and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

just curious...is State Polie the faster responders than SO or local PD?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Lead Moderator
    Glad you were able to summon help and no one was hurt. Our local and State Police are so undermanned due to budgets it can take an hour or more for response time depending who is on and where they are.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The store I work at is in northeast pa, not gonna say what one for obvious reasons. We are in a big city but the way it's laid out the store is just outside the city limits so the state police are the ones we call, and the barracks is next door anyway. They get here in 3-5 mins from call to trooper walking in the door. We have a great relationship with them, we have a high case volume and they like getting called for a solid case, we bring them meat trays and food from time to time, it's the small things that build a good relationship.

atctimmy and darbo like this.

If they want my axe, they're going to have to come and get it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

wow!!!!!!!!

scary

Quote Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
    (a guy) had a breakdown, he picked up an axe, removed the sheath and began to storm around swinging it and yelling at people. He was visibly disturbed ...

I immediately placed a call to the state police barracks around the corner ...Within 3 minutes the state police arrived in force and took him down at gun point ...
    Three minutes under an "upraised knife" is a long, long, loooooooooooong time.

Had he truly had murderous plans, or even merely the will to carry out his threats, you and many like you could easily have been erased in that 3mins time.

Good job on the containment, though.

For those who don't get it: situations like this are why we go armed, 'cause ya never know when lightning's gonna strike.
    kaikane0812, mg27, Bark'n and 4 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You could tell he was thinking about doing something by how he was acting, nervous, pacing. Luckily they got there before he gained the confidence to do anything. Had he become violent I would have done what I could to contain the threat, but I figured I'd keep some distance so not to work him up by seeing me following him. We are plain clothes anyway, I dress like a normal customer. Most people have no idea who we are till we stop them.

Good handling of a bad situation.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Good job, doing what you could with what you had.

Something like that happens again you might want to grab one of those heavy fire extinguishers, that Walmart hangs everywhere, and keep it behind your back until you have no other recourse, and then aim it at his face and unload. Won't stop him long, but that white powder will get his attention and/or re-direct his attention perhaps.

He's lucky there wasn't an off duty officer in that store, at the time of his melt down. Might not have ended like it did. The rule of thumb is 21 feet for edged weapons, and I'd think an axe qualifies as a extra large deluxe edged weapon. Glad everyone's safe and the Staties ware close by.
    Well done Sir.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Well I'm a big guy, 5' 11 and about 270, there are enough isles and places that I coulda caught him off guard and wrapped him up easy, done it before will do it again. People are crazy these days, keep your SA up lady's and gents

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links