A buddy asked for advice, dunno what to twll hi

This is a discussion on A buddy asked for advice, dunno what to twll hi within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My buddy and I were enjoying some cold beverages when he asked, should I get my chl? Buy more Ammon? Or just buy AR's? He ...

Thread: A buddy asked for advice, dunno what to twll hi

My buddy and I were enjoying some cold beverages when he asked, should I get my chl? Buy more Ammon? Or just buy AR's?

He was talking about what could possibly happen here soon with a ban. The thing is he hates AR's, sks, ak etc. He just ha some hunting rifles, revolvers and some semi autos. He just never been an assault rifle guy and feels comfortable with the guns he has. First question my answer was, "well if you do and take they take it from you your out cash, if you need it and don't have it your possibly out of your life or family member." Second question I answered " you could never have to much ammo." Third, " if you want get one, but don't jump when everyone else jump." Is there anything else I could have helped him with? What would you have said?

2. Remove Ads

Ammo while he waits for CHL stuff....that's what I'm doin. All my stuff is mailed in. Get him to apply online asap, finda class, get the process going.....and stock up on ammo....it goes fast.

If it were me, I'd go with getting the CHL. Nothing like having the ability to protect yourself and the family even when not at home. Anything else is less important. That's just me.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

If he's not one for EBR's,I would say ammo, CHL
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I think I would would agree with CHL, then ammo.
    NRA Life Member

"He just never been an assault rifle guy and feels comfortable with the guns he has." What exactly is an "assault rifle guy" anyway? What is an "assault rifle"exactly?

I'm just kidding, kinda. I know what you meant to say, versus what you said. FYI (in case you didn't yet know it), there is no such thing as an assault rifle. A rifle can be used to assault someone or something, as can a knife, or a car, or a rock for that matter. Follow me? "Assault Rifle" is a word made up by liberals and the media to describe all black guns, that they see in the movies, but have never before fired. Figured you'd catch on pretty quick.

I'd advise he join the NRA first, and then think about the other things. We must make sure our best fighter is trained, conditioned, and ready for the fight ahead. Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Lead Moderator
    CHL and ammo. If he knows how to operate the rifles he owns he should be good. No use getting something he 1. Doesn't care for. 2. Will not learn /practice using.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ballfroguy View Post
    My buddy and I were enjoying some cold beverages when he asked, should I get my chl? Buy more Ammon? Or just buy AR's?

He was talking about what could possibly happen here soon with a ban. The thing is he hates AR's, sks, ak etc. He just ha some hunting rifles, revolvers and some semi autos. He just never been an assault rifle guy and feels comfortable with the guns he has. First question my answer was, "well if you do and take they take it from you your out cash, if you need it and don't have it your possibly out of your life or family member." Second question I answered " you could never have to much ammo." Third, " if you want get one, but don't jump when everyone else jump." Is there anything else I could have helped him with? What would you have said?

Correct answer to his question would have been: Yes.

I don't really see an AR/AK as being something someone really needs. Nice to have, yes, but not needed. Ammo is a definite need to have. CHL is good to have to, depending on your state laws. For example, I could do without a permit here in VA without a problem, but the OC without a permit is legal, so I can still carry, even without a permit. In TX without a permit your stuck going unarmed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    "Assault Rifle" is a word made up by liberals and the media to describe all black guns, that they see in the movies, but have never before fired.
    Well....sayeth Wikipedia:

The term assault rifle is a translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally "storm rifle", as in "to storm a position"). The name was coined by Adolf Hitler[3] as a new name for the Maschinenpistole 43,[nb 1] subsequently known as the Sturmgewehr 44, the firearm generally considered the first assault rifle that served to popularise the concept and form the basis for today's modern assault rifles.

The translation assault rifle gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[4][5][6]

It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
    It must be capable of selective fire;
    It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
    Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine rather than a feed-belt.
    And it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters (1000 feet)

Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles despite frequently being considered as such. For example, semi-automatic-only rifles like the AR-15 (which the M16 rifle is based on) that share designs with assault rifles are not assault rifles, as they are not capable of switching to automatic fire and thus are not selective fire capable. Belt-fed weapons or rifles with fixed magazines are likewise not assault rifles because they do not have detachable box magazines.

The term "assault rifle" is often more loosely used for commercial or political reasons to include other types of arms, particularly arms that fall under a strict definition of the battle rifle, or semi-automatic variant of military rifles such as AR-15s.

The US Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges."[7]

Friends don't let friends buy ARs. Tell him to go with the AK platform.
    Last edited by Caertaker; December 20th, 2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: added a smiley
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy ARs. Tell him to go with the AK platform.
    I disagree.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Seeing as I don't have an "assault" rifle, personally I'd invest my dollars in ammo and support supplies. I don't begrudge anyone who chooses to purchase an AR or AK, it's just not high on my need list. As long as people stay out of buckshot range we'll get along just fine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links