Question about weapon carry in a National Forest

This is a discussion on Question about weapon carry in a National Forest within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had to scrub the fly fishing trip to NW Montana but will probably go to Kentucky this spring to fish in the Daniel Boone National ...

Thread: Question about weapon carry in a National Forest

Question about weapon carry in a National Forest

Had to scrub the fly fishing trip to NW Montana but will probably go to Kentucky this spring to fish in the Daniel Boone National Forest. I have an AL CCW permit so I'm covered in the state but are National Forests treated the same as National Parks? Have gone to US hand gun law.com and no luck or I'm just blind. They say that small black bear do live there, would feel better to have something inside my waders.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I know that state/county/city parks are ok here, but some buildings can be off limits inside the park. Might want to make sure the porta pottys aren't posted. LOL!

Not sure about National forests though.

http://www.kc3.org/open.htm

Unless there is a federal law against ccw there, I would think you would be ok in KY. Please double check me though.

The Daniel Boone is okay. I carry there a couple times a year. National Forests are not prohibited in KY.

From the state police website on prohibited places.

Quote Originally Posted by KYSP
    A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:

Police station or sheriff’s office.

Detention facility, prison or jail.

Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).

County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.

Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.

General Assembly session, including committee meetings.

Businesses which dispense beer or other alcoholic beverages for consumption, excluding restaurants receiving 50% of sales from food purchases.

Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).

Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.

Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.

Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.
    http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

National Forests are not prohibited.
    Last edited by SammyIamToday; October 13th, 2006 at 07:20 AM.

National Forests don't have provisions against it only your state. In Minnesota, you can carry in NFs which is where my cabin is so I could carry at the cabin anyway under the law.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    National Forests don't have provisions against it only your state. In Minnesota, you can carry in NFs which is where my cabin is so I could carry at the cabin anyway under the law.
    Not so, you must check. For example, in NC National Forests are game lands and only a .22 can be carried outside of the deer season.
    Even just the ammo can get you a citation. Source state hunting Regs.

1943 - 2009
    Had to scrub the fly fishing trip to NW Montana
    Sorry to hear about your cancelled trip. We're always eager to show off our state and our world class fly fishing streams. If you ever do make it here, rest assured there is no state or federal law that prohibits carrying firearms on U.S. National Forest lands in Montana.

However, if you are using a licensed guide or outfitter, ask about their policy. Some flat out prohibit firearms, some discourage them, and some don't say anything one way or the other.

Unfortunately, Montana does not honor Alabama concealed weapons permits at this time, but here's another however: Concealed weapons permits are only required within the boundaries of an incorporated city or town in Montana, so concealed carry is legal outside city limits, which of course includes National Forests and wilderness areas (but not National Parks).

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Thanks for the info, I WILL go to MT someday. I was doing some research on this of course and I stumbled on the numbers for violent crime in the National Park system. HOLY CRAP, I am going to write my elected officials now. This is unacceptable to me, the Rangers are under staffed, BG's know they have free reign and I bet Teddy Roosevelt carried a gun while in Yellowstone- different predator back then though.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Not so, you must check. For example, in NC National Forests are game lands and only a .22 can be carried outside of the deer season.
    Even just the ammo can get you a citation. Source state hunting Regs.
    In Minnesota, your carry law over rides the hunting law so we can carry what we want even while hunting. I guess it depends so people should check for themselfs.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VA NF lands and you are good to go. Even during archery season but it must remain concealed.

As a child I hiked a lot of the DBNF, played in the forest by myself (8-10 years old), looked for wildlife and never, ever saw a bear. I hope things have changed so much (as with deer) that you see a bear on ever bend of whatever river/stream you'll be fishing.

Links