Three reasons gun control isn't going to happen - Page 2

Three reasons gun control isn't going to happen

This is a discussion on Three reasons gun control isn't going to happen within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by xXxplosive The 2A .....is bigger than all of this......IMO. Didn't you know that following the Constitution is optional these days? Federal Judge ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Three reasons gun control isn't going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    The 2A .....is bigger than all of this......IMO.
    Didn't you know that following the Constitution is optional these days?

Federal Judge Reinstates Unconstitutional NDAA
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by krisspy View Post
    I'm sure those people in Russia, Germany, Cambodia, etc. could never fathom being rounded up and exterminated by their own governments either.
    I will just ask this to all of you then I will leave it be:

Do you honestly beleive that will happen in America. Your fellow citizens being ordered to committ genocide? Not if it is possible. I can always submit that if all guns are eliminated from the planet then their will be no more violence and crime and wars. It is POSSIBLE isn't it. Anything is possible.

Again..do you guys think it will happen and if so give me some odds on it.

Look, I am just saying that it is a fun talking point and it only affects ....uhh...no one. We all want the 2A to not be infringed. Bringing up improbable scenarios will not make anyone come over to our side. My 2 cents.

BTW: It is possible that JFK was assinated by escaped aliens from Area 51.
    It is possible I will hit Power Ball this week
    It is possible that someone will have a break through tomorrow and be able to extend life and quality of life indefinitely.

And that it is possible our government conspired to kill a bunch of children to promote this agenda (which BTW was a thread that got closed and most folks thought the OP was out of his mind)

Just about the same odds that if we had no firearms then our government will start committing genocide.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I will just ask this to all of you then I will leave it be:

Do you honestly beleive that will happen in America. Your fellow citizens being ordered to committ genocide? Not if it is possible. I can always submit that if all guns are eliminated from the planet then their will be no more violence and crime and wars. It is POSSIBLE isn't it. Anything is possible.

Again..do you guys think it will happen and if so give me some odds on it.

Look, I am just saying that it is a fun talking point and it only affects ....uhh...no one. We all want the 2A to not be infringed. Bringing up improbable scenarios will not make anyone come over to our side. My 2 cents.

BTW: It is possible that JFK was assinated by escaped aliens from Area 51.
    It is possible I will hit Power Ball this week
    It is possible that someone will have a break through tomorrow and be able to extend life and quality of life indefinitely.

And that it is possible our government conspired to kill a bunch of children to promote this agenda (which BTW was a thread that got closed and most folks thought the OP was out of his mind)

Just about the same odds that if we had no firearms then our government will start committing genocide.
    If the chances that something will happen are greater than 0%, then the probability that it will happen before the end of time is 100%.

It is interesting. Hopefully they will kick the can down the road so to speak and it was interesting the lib media wasn't even interested in the gun control issue. Perhaps, a good suggestion would be to say fine...instate more gun control. But those who have secret service and armed guards must give them up.

Wasn't there a more strict gun law in effect when the Columbine shooting happened? These people are going to find weapons even if there are the most restrictive laws I think.

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    If the chances that something will happen are greater than 0%, then the probability that it will happen before the end of time is 100%.
    I take it you don't go sky diving LOL. Can't be afraid of everything.....sorry, I said I wold be quiet. But you are mathematically correct. It is called the Infinite Monkey Theorem......and i am betting that I will not see the complete works of Shakspheare ever written by a bunch of monkeys...
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

It can't happen here

We would never allow congress to pass legislation allowing the government to fine or jail journalists for writings critical of same government.

We would never imprison thousands of our citizens just for the color of their skins and their ancestor's country of origin.

We would never pass laws authorizing warrant free wiretapping of US citizens.

We would never create illegal prisons outside the borders of our country in order to deprive people the protection of constitutional rights.

We would never suspend the writ of habeas corpus.

When you deprive a man of his most basic civil rights how far behind is the taking of his life?
    BigStick and goldmaster like this.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

I take it you don't go sky diving LOL. Can't be afraid of everything.....sorry, I said I wold be quiet. But you are mathematically correct. It is called the Infinite Monkey Theorem......and i am betting that I will not see the complete works of Shakspheare ever written by a bunch of monkeys...
    I haven't gone skydiving...yet. Back to your other post though, I'm 100% certain that the "American Empire" will fall eventually. Will I live to see it(and actually be able to tell), I would say there is maybe a 3% chance.

I guess it depends on who is assigning the %'s. I would say monkey's writing shakespeare is a lot more probably than you might think...given the advancements in what we are teaching them to do.

If history is any indicator, the odd's of Americans needing to defend against a tyrannical government get better the longer said government is in power.

Three reasons gun control isn't going to happen

Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

But you have to convince me that it is even possible for our government to order the genocide of our own people which you will never do.
    I'm curious what makes America so unequivocally different from the rest of the world, that this could never happen? The part in bold is the important bit. It is never "our own people". It's those other people that everyone hates. The minority's, the immigrants, the illegal aliens, people of religion x, y or z, the unpatriotic ones, the traitors. It is still genocide even when it's not "our own people".
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Lets hope America's amnesia kicks in and they forget about it and move on to whatever is hyped by the media the next week.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner6 View Post
    It is interesting. Hopefully they will kick the can down the road so to speak and it was interesting the lib media wasn't even interested in the gun control issue. Perhaps, a good suggestion would be to say fine...instate more gun control. But those who have secret service and armed guards must give them up.

Wasn't there a more strict gun law in effect when the Columbine shooting happened? These people are going to find weapons even if there are the most restrictive laws I think.
    Yep, there was an AWB back when Columbine happened and it didn't matter. No high-powered rifles (semi-auto or otherwise) were used. It was all pistols and shotguns. The closest thing Kleebold and Harris had to a rifle was a 9mm carbine. In the VT shooting, Cho acted alone and he only had two pistols one of which was a .22 and he killed more people than in the two shootings in Colorado (Columbine and Aurora) combined! Congress can pass another AWB and the shootings will still occur because there is no way of getting around the fact that we have a people problem in this country, not a gun problem.
    goldmaster likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Suntzu, a few points, and I won't hold you to your promise of silence since I'm asking questions.

Do you really think that 7 times in less than a century is rare? It was almost once every ten years. While not exactly happening all the time, and understanding that our initial sittuation is at least slightly different, it does give one pause. 7 specific cases does create a trend. And while taking the first step in that direction does not mean that we will automatically jump to the same end, it is a step in that direction.

Do I think that it will happen? I plan on doing everything in my power to ensure that it doesn't, and encouraging others to do the same. But aren't we all on here because we believe that the statistically improbably just might happen to us, and we are taking steps to mitigate the risk?

I would give ~0% chance of the attrocities happening in the next 20 years no matter what happens with the AWB. But if it passes and our culture keeps going the way that it has been, that chance starts getting into the measureable range. Weapons in the hands of the people make the govt. afraid of us. If that changes, what is to stop the corrupt politicians from siezing more power? And what is the best way to sieze power? Find a scapegoat/target to blame for all of societies problems and get the people to hand you the power to fix all their problems.

That is how it happens. So why not fight every step of the way that allows us to get one step closer to that end?
    Walk softly ...

Sorry, I never buy those analogies. You are overlooking the many other countries that have a strict gun policy and their are no massacres. In fact, the one you mention are the rare instances and used to hype up an issue.
    I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more with you on this. Human nature is human nature. And it isn't pretty.
    Look back on world history...however far back you want to go. It's one long string of tyrants, wars, genocides and horrible atrocities.
    You'd have be looking back with rose-colored glasses not to see reality for what it is.
    Our own history (and I love my country), is marred by acts of great inhumanty...some of which was done by our government.
    Would you like examples?
    Civilization is a very thin veneer...and if you think that a democratic republic form of governance changes human nature... ask the Romans.
    Human nature is human nature...and as far as I can tell, our governing class is human.
    goldmaster likes this.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more with you on this. Human nature is human nature. And it isn't pretty.
    Look back on world history...however far back you want to go. It's one long string of tyrants, wars, genocides and horrible atrocities.
    You'd have be looking back with rose-colored glasses not to see reality for what it is.
    Our own history (and I love my country), is marred by acts of great inhumanty...some of which was done by our government.
    Would you like examples?
    Civilization is a very thin veneer...and if you think that a democratic republic form of governance changes human nature... ask the Romans.
    Human nature is human nature...and as far as I can tell, our governing class is human.
    I guess we will just have to see who is more correct...Let us hope I am

EDIT: BTW: I am agreeing with you on past atrocities and how humans can treat each other. I am not agreeing that the government is disarming its citizens in some nefarious plot to start committing murder and genocide. That is the difference. One is human nature in general, the other is a manipulation by person or persons to direct this anger toward a set of people.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links