something that needs to be said

This is a discussion on something that needs to be said within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sick and Tired I am a member of the NRA. I am a gun owner. I also own semi-automatic rifles. My rifles have never been ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 8 Post By crazydazy86
  • 1 Post By Hedgelj
  • 1 Post By wmhawth
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By zamboni

Thread: something that needs to be said

Sick and Tired
    I am a member of the NRA. I am a gun owner. I also own semi-automatic rifles. My rifles have never been raised in anger or malice towards any other human being. I am sick and tired of people treating me like I am part of the problem every single time a tragedy like the shooting in Newtown, CT is perpetrated. There are some people who think that I am cold and heartless and could not care less about the people and children slaughtered by a deranged individual. They believe this because I am an advocate for the second amendment and the responsible ownership of firearms. In their own minds they have determined that they are somehow morally superior to me and others with similar mindsets. Why is it that I have to defend myself and others like me for the actions of a lunatic that I have no control over? Why am I the target of the Brady Campaign? Their hypocrisy is unfathomable. Only hours after acts of extreme violence, people of this group were calling that members of the NRA should be “shot.” This is a direct threat to myself, my family, and many of my friends. Why is it okay for them to call for violence against me while feigning outrage against firearms, inanimate objects?
    I have a daughter of my own and I love her and I am proud of her. If she was taken away from me, my world would be shattered. I cannot even pretend to understand the grief of the families that have had their lives shattered by this monster. I pray for the families that they can find solace and peace. I hope that eventually they can piece their lives back together.
    I am sick and tired of these hypocrites telling me that I don’t care about the innocents that were slaughtered. I know that if I had a chance to save even one single child I would do everything in my power to do so, up to and including using the use of deadly force with a firearm on the perpetrator. I would risk my life and my freedom if I could have the opportunity let one more baby go home to see their parents. I would not be able to live with myself if I knew I had the power to do something, but did not.
    I am sick and tired of the politicians in Washington, D.C. We once again have politicians in the Capitol arguing over gun control measures. There have been talks of banning “assault weapons” and “high capacity magazines.” What exactly is an “assault weapon?” The answer to that question lies only in the hands of the people who draft the legislation and not the people for whom the government works for. The truth is that I can assault a person with a baseball bat, a knife, or my bare hands. Are these considered “assault weapons?”
    The most insulting thing is that many of the people and legislators that are calling for these gun control measures have not even handled a firearm of any type. They will, however, hire private security and use the secret service to protect them with these same so called “assault weapons.” Even more absurd is the representatives like Dianne Feinstein. She is one of the few people that has had bestowed upon her one of the extremely scarce Concealed Weapons Permits in the state of California. Yet, this sophist is the same one who introduces and sponsors anti-gun legislation. It is farcical for them to believe that they have the right to defend themselves, but that I do not have the same right to defend myself and my family.
    At the same time our current administration, through the Justice Department led by Eric Holder, allowed the sale of thousands of these same “assault weapons” to drug cartels in Mexico. Some of these same weapons were used in the murder of Mexican and American citizens, as well as a border patrol agent by the name of Brian Terry. His family still does not have answers as to what actually happened. Our own attorney general, Eric Holder has been held in contempt of congress for not providing subpoenaed information to congress. Where is the outrage with this situation?
    I am sick and tired of an industrial news complex that cannot accurately present the facts. Within hours of the shooting in the movie theater in Aurora, CO, the news media had already incorrectly identified the shooter as a Tea Party member from a Facebook page that nobody thought needed to be verified. In this recent shooting at the school in CT the media once again incorrectly reported the identity of the shooter and also incorrectly reported his mother as an employee of the school. The media was more interested in playing politics than reporting the facts. Before the spilled blood was dry, the media outlets gleefully resorted to their smear campaign against guns and gun owners portraying anybody who disagreed as selfish individuals who would rather see innocent children be slaughtered than give up their second amendment rights. These same media outlets sensationalize the crimes by using buzz words like massacre, slaughter, and assault weapon. They ensure that everybody will remember the killer, but never the victims. This only ensures copycats that will try and outdo the others before them. Why is it that we cannot have “reasonable restrictions” on the 1st amendment of the freedom of the press, but it is okay to have reasonable restrictions on the 2nd amendment to bear arms? It would be just as crazy as saying we need to have reasonable restrictions on the 15th amendment that guarantees equal opportunity to vote. The truth is that none of the amendments of the constitution were meant to have “reasonable restrictions.”
    I am sick and tired of so called journalists like Jason Whitlock who spew hate against organizations that they do not understand. In his ignorance, Mr. Whitlock called the NRA the “New KKK.” A bit of research and a look back into history would have informed this sports journalist that the NRA was founded by Union Soldiers after the Civil War to provide marksmanship training to freed slaves so they could effectively defend themselves against their white oppressors. I am sick and tired of sports casters like Bob Costas who use the halftime show of nationally televised football games to go on rants about gun control. While alienated millions of gun owning Americans, he incorrectly placed the blame of a murder/suicide on a gun which is an object that has no moral structure. He did all this while ostentatiously ignoring that FBI statistics show that most violent crimes in this country are perpetrated with a baseball bat. This is pretty ironic for a sports caster reporting on violent crime.
    I do not pretend to have all of the answers but there are a few things that I do know for sure. First of all, the shooter in the Aurora, CO movie theater passed over numerous theaters closer to his house to make his attack in the only nearby theater that had “No Guns Allowed” signs on the door. These signs only guarantee a criminal that he will not be met with opposition. It makes as much sense as a sign that says, “No Crime Allowed” or to make a law outlawing crime.
    Secondly, in 1995 a man was able to kill 168 people including 19 children under the age of 6 years old in Oklahoma City without the use of any firearms (I intentionally refuse to identify the man by name in honor of the victims). He only used readily available products from a hardware store, some fuel, and a box truck to accomplish his task. To this day I still have not heard any outcry for the regulation of fertilizer, and as far as I know, I can still rent a U-Haul. The criminally insane will always find a way to carry out their evil intentions regardless of their access to firearms.
    Another thing I know for a fact is that another man in Norway was able to murder over 70 children at a summer camp with the use of firearms. The laws for firearm ownership in that country are far more stringent than in this country. Furthermore, ownership of semiautomatic rifles is also banned in that country. Add to this that the Columbine tragedy also took place during the height of our own Clinton Assault Weapon ban. Banning firearms or types of firearms does little to no good in the mitigation of violent crime.
    Finally, these senseless acts of violence are not something new that have only appeared since the evolution of semi-automatic rifles. The bloodiest mass murder in a school in the United States of America occurred way back in 1927 in Michigan. A former school board member set off three bombs in the school, killing 45 people and injuring 58. The production of semi-automatic rifles was still in its infancy when this took place.
    As I mentioned earlier, I do not have all the answers to solve this problem but there are a few places that we can begin the conversation. We have too many boys growing up without fathers to teach them how to be men. We have a mental health system that is broken. There are months long waits for psychiatry appointments and we have closed all of our state run hospitals for mentally impaired. These people are now on the streets or with caregivers that cannot adequately address their needs. The high unemployment and skyrocketing debt is causing a noticeable feel of civil unrest. We have cultivated a culture of violence on television, in video games, and in the lyrics of songs. These are at least a few topics on where we can start the conversation.
    One thing is for sure. The answer to our culture of violence is not kneejerk reactions that will ultimately abridge our rights and freedoms. The facts simply do not support the conclusions. And, I am sick and tired of making these arguments!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    You're preaching to the choir brother!

VIP Member
    me too!

wmhawth likes this.

hbc
    Say no more (LOL).

The 2A is bigger than all of this............IMO.

Lots of people are stupid. My father always said just because its right, doesn't make it easy. Hang in there, there are lots of us and despite what your tv tells you, our numbers are growing.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

You did that. Next time try to elaborate a little.
    mprp likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Sometimes you just gotta rant ;)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I could not have "ranted" it better. You wrote what all of us are feeling.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Re: something that needs to be said

Quote Originally Posted by crazydazy86 View Post
    Sick and Tired
    I am a member of the NRA. I am a gun owner. I also own semi-automatic rifles. My rifles have never been raised in anger or malice towards any other human being. I am sick and tired of people treating me like I am part of the problem every single time a tragedy like the shooting in Newtown, CT is perpetrated. There are some people who think that I am cold and heartless and could not care less about the people and children slaughtered by a deranged individual. They believe this because I am an advocate for the second amendment and the responsible ownership of firearms. In their own minds they have determined that they are somehow morally superior to me and others with similar mindsets. Why is it that I have to defend myself and others like me for the actions of a lunatic that I have no control over? Why am I the target of the Brady Campaign? Their hypocrisy is unfathomable. Only hours after acts of extreme violence, people of this group were calling that members of the NRA should be “shot.” This is a direct threat to myself, my family, and many of my friends. Why is it okay for them to call for violence against me while feigning outrage against firearms, inanimate objects?
    I have a daughter of my own and I love her and I am proud of her. If she was taken away from me, my world would be shattered. I cannot even pretend to understand the grief of the families that have had their lives shattered by this monster. I pray for the families that they can find solace and peace. I hope that eventually they can piece their lives back together.
    I am sick and tired of these hypocrites telling me that I don’t care about the innocents that were slaughtered. I know that if I had a chance to save even one single child I would do everything in my power to do so, up to and including using the use of deadly force with a firearm on the perpetrator. I would risk my life and my freedom if I could have the opportunity let one more baby go home to see their parents. I would not be able to live with myself if I knew I had the power to do something, but did not.
    I am sick and tired of the politicians in Washington, D.C. We once again have politicians in the Capitol arguing over gun control measures. There have been talks of banning “assault weapons” and “high capacity magazines.” What exactly is an “assault weapon?” The answer to that question lies only in the hands of the people who draft the legislation and not the people for whom the government works for. The truth is that I can assault a person with a baseball bat, a knife, or my bare hands. Are these considered “assault weapons?”
    The most insulting thing is that many of the people and legislators that are calling for these gun control measures have not even handled a firearm of any type. They will, however, hire private security and use the secret service to protect them with these same so called “assault weapons.” Even more absurd is the representatives like Dianne Feinstein. She is one of the few people that has had bestowed upon her one of the extremely scarce Concealed Weapons Permits in the state of California. Yet, this sophist is the same one who introduces and sponsors anti-gun legislation. It is farcical for them to believe that they have the right to defend themselves, but that I do not have the same right to defend myself and my family.
    At the same time our current administration, through the Justice Department led by Eric Holder, allowed the sale of thousands of these same “assault weapons” to drug cartels in Mexico. Some of these same weapons were used in the murder of Mexican and American citizens, as well as a border patrol agent by the name of Brian Terry. His family still does not have answers as to what actually happened. Our own attorney general, Eric Holder has been held in contempt of congress for not providing subpoenaed information to congress. Where is the outrage with this situation?
    I am sick and tired of an industrial news complex that cannot accurately present the facts. Within hours of the shooting in the movie theater in Aurora, CO, the news media had already incorrectly identified the shooter as a Tea Party member from a Facebook page that nobody thought needed to be verified. In this recent shooting at the school in CT the media once again incorrectly reported the identity of the shooter and also incorrectly reported his mother as an employee of the school. The media was more interested in playing politics than reporting the facts. Before the spilled blood was dry, the media outlets gleefully resorted to their smear campaign against guns and gun owners portraying anybody who disagreed as selfish individuals who would rather see innocent children be slaughtered than give up their second amendment rights. These same media outlets sensationalize the crimes by using buzz words like massacre, slaughter, and assault weapon. They ensure that everybody will remember the killer, but never the victims. This only ensures copycats that will try and outdo the others before them. Why is it that we cannot have “reasonable restrictions” on the 1st amendment of the freedom of the press, but it is okay to have reasonable restrictions on the 2nd amendment to bear arms? It would be just as crazy as saying we need to have reasonable restrictions on the 15th amendment that guarantees equal opportunity to vote. The truth is that none of the amendments of the constitution were meant to have “reasonable restrictions.”
    I am sick and tired of so called journalists like Jason Whitlock who spew hate against organizations that they do not understand. In his ignorance, Mr. Whitlock called the NRA the “New KKK.” A bit of research and a look back into history would have informed this sports journalist that the NRA was founded by Union Soldiers after the Civil War to provide marksmanship training to freed slaves so they could effectively defend themselves against their white oppressors. I am sick and tired of sports casters like Bob Costas who use the halftime show of nationally televised football games to go on rants about gun control. While alienated millions of gun owning Americans, he incorrectly placed the blame of a murder/suicide on a gun which is an object that has no moral structure. He did all this while ostentatiously ignoring that FBI statistics show that most violent crimes in this country are perpetrated with a baseball bat. This is pretty ironic for a sports caster reporting on violent crime.
    I do not pretend to have all of the answers but there are a few things that I do know for sure. First of all, the shooter in the Aurora, CO movie theater passed over numerous theaters closer to his house to make his attack in the only nearby theater that had “No Guns Allowed” signs on the door. These signs only guarantee a criminal that he will not be met with opposition. It makes as much sense as a sign that says, “No Crime Allowed” or to make a law outlawing crime.
    Secondly, in 1995 a man was able to kill 168 people including 19 children under the age of 6 years old in Oklahoma City without the use of any firearms (I intentionally refuse to identify the man by name in honor of the victims). He only used readily available products from a hardware store, some fuel, and a box truck to accomplish his task. To this day I still have not heard any outcry for the regulation of fertilizer, and as far as I know, I can still rent a U-Haul. The criminally insane will always find a way to carry out their evil intentions regardless of their access to firearms.
    Another thing I know for a fact is that another man in Norway was able to murder over 70 children at a summer camp with the use of firearms. The laws for firearm ownership in that country are far more stringent than in this country. Furthermore, ownership of semiautomatic rifles is also banned in that country. Add to this that the Columbine tragedy also took place during the height of our own Clinton Assault Weapon ban. Banning firearms or types of firearms does little to no good in the mitigation of violent crime.
    Finally, these senseless acts of violence are not something new that have only appeared since the evolution of semi-automatic rifles. The bloodiest mass murder in a school in the United States of America occurred way back in 1927 in Michigan. A former school board member set off three bombs in the school, killing 45 people and injuring 58. The production of semi-automatic rifles was still in its infancy when this took place.
    As I mentioned earlier, I do not have all the answers to solve this problem but there are a few places that we can begin the conversation. We have too many boys growing up without fathers to teach them how to be men. We have a mental health system that is broken. There are months long waits for psychiatry appointments and we have closed all of our state run hospitals for mentally impaired. These people are now on the streets or with caregivers that cannot adequately address their needs. The high unemployment and skyrocketing debt is causing a noticeable feel of civil unrest. We have cultivated a culture of violence on television, in video games, and in the lyrics of songs. These are at least a few topics on where we can start the conversation.
    One thing is for sure. The answer to our culture of violence is not kneejerk reactions that will ultimately abridge our rights and freedoms. The facts simply do not support the conclusions. And, I am sick and tired of making these arguments!
    Tell us how you really feel brother. Everything you typed has been going on in my mind all week. Gun grabbers cannot tell us what an"Assault Weapon" really is nor do they have an argument when you point out when you assault someone with a paper clip that would be the assault weapon. They tell the public that AR type rifles should be reserved for the military completely ignoring that our founders enshrined us the right from God to defend ourselves especially from the very government they want to give all the highly effective firearms to. If the European citizens had been armed like we are would Hitler have been able to accomplish what he did? Maybe or maybe not we will never know.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yup.. But 52% of amerika is against you.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydazy86 View Post
    Sick and Tired
    Very Very well said. I think you should send this right on to the media........maybe we should all take up a collection and have it published in our local papers.

VIP Member
    I will constantly correct people, there is no “gun violence” it is “criminal violence using a gun”. There are no readily available “assault rifles” for the general public but there are many rifles used to commit assault. And “hi-cap” magazines, no such critter just “normal” capacity magazines designed for a specific firearm.
    scgunlover1 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'll open mouth and insert foot ??

OK before you start chirping on me, I am a contributing supporter to M.A.D.D. a.k.a.: Mothers Against Drunk Drivers so relax fellow supporters, I’m just using this as a comparison.

So moving forward….

M.A.D.D. is an organization that is an advocate group whose agenda is to stop drunk driving, they help support victims and survivors of those that have fallen victim to DUI violent crime, and work towards curbing under age drinking.

Yes they are a valued organization with a valid agenda. But though they are totally against DUI, under age drinking, and appalled by the horror of DUI-Homicide, doing all they can to curb such violence, by drawing attention to try to prevent it, and use victims as coined “poster child’s” < which what advocate groups don’t I think the term “Poster-Child” was coined through Jerry’s Kid’s? So this is a commonly used and accepted tactic >.

But, M.A.D.D. does not preach and demonstrate and demand; a total ban on all alcoholic beverages or a total ban on all vehicles related too or that have ever been involved in any DUI-Homicides! I’ll bet even some of their staunch supporters have a drink or two now and then and do so responsively. Remember this term “RESPONSIVELY” for future reference.

Now arriving, the Brady Bill’ers a.k.a.: the Brady Bunch!

They are an organization that is an advocate group as well, whose original agenda started out as, to prevent “Handgun Violence”?

In accordance too their agenda, they marched their poster children around and was successful in having some restrictive Federal gun laws established. But nooooo!! That didn’t satisfy their hunger of medaling empowerment though. Then they didn’t like the fact that responsible upstanding American Citizens were able to own certain style rifles and use them “RESPONSIVELY”<drink responsively/use firearms responsively (but not at the same times)>.

OK…the Brady Bunch, now they don’t like the fact that responsible upstanding American Citizens are able to own certain style rifles which they started calling, “Assault Rifles” because of the AR in its synonym title, as in AR-15’s. Well AR-15’s real definition is: “AR-15 (ArmaLite Model 15)”. ArmaLite Inc is the company which first manufactured AR’s so they used their names first initial A and the first initial R for rifle and coined the synonym AR. They have manufactured AR-5’s, AR-7’s, AR-10's, AR-15’s and AR-18’s for many years.

And don’t start with clips…….if you limit “clips” from 30 to 10 < so what are we going to use to hold our over 10 sheets of collated paperwork together > OH right....where's my red stapler?

The true definition of Assault Rifle is from the German word “Sturmgewehr - storm rifle” and was coined by Hitler when he first introduced his new rifle, which was originally named the Maschinenpistole 43.

OH, so what now? All you trolls reading this will now inappropriately tie our AR’s you wrongly call and refer too as Assault Rifles in with Hitler, into your equation to fuel your fire?

Oops…that would just go to show how low these anti’s would go to hornswoggle their un-edumacated flock of lemming to follow them over the cliff.

The Brady Bunch isn’t satisfied in just working towards curbing violent gun crime, like M.A.D.D. is satisfied in just working towards curbing DUI violent crime and not a total ban on all alcoholic beverages and all vehicles.

No, the Brady Bunch is only interested in a full out ban on all guns. Well an all out ban will prevent all gun violence like the full out ban on illegal drugs has stopped all drug addiction and abuse. And to harden their stance and gain support, followers, and sympathy towards their agenda towards an all out ban on AR’s, and lots of other firearms, and clips (clips? tee he he), they take advantage and splatter the poor victims of this latest shooting as their most current “Poster Children”.

Who wouldn’t feel their cause is just the way they pray on people’s sympathy immediately after such a tragedy while our wounds are still bleeding? Hell even the media is imposing on the privacy of these poor survivors. Is it really necessary to shove a mic in their face and ask them: "How does this make you feel that your child was gunned down by a mad-man? How will this tragic event affect your lives’ now??", and televise every crying parent?

Let them mourn in peace! Show some respect for their loss and back off if you really, truly, DO, feel their sorrow!

Kudos to the local Sandy Hook newspaper which has asked all the national media to please BACK OFF and let the survivors mourn in peace!

AND:
    Yo Brady Bunching Tree Huggers. You say: “Stricter gun laws will prevent shootings?” Then can you tell me: “How well do the insane and criminals follow our existing laws....now?” Maybe you could add to your agenda “Lets make killing people illegal as well.” OH wait, I think it already is, not only a Federal Law but, also one of Gods Biblical Laws “Exodus 20:13 & Deuteronomy 5:17 – Thou Shalt NOT KILL & You Shall NOT MURDER” and it is also one of The Ten Commandments too.

There are ways to constructively curb gun violence. But look at current gun laws, in places like Chicago, and even Connecticut where this most recent violence took place. These places have the most restrictive gun laws in America, and they don’t really work to prevent these macabre events from acquiring there.

An all out ban of anything isn’t going to stop this from happening again. An all out ban will not work the way the Brady Bunch wants it too, or thinks it will.

Now I think, if God would dump a good dash of, the Periodic Table of the Element's “Chemical Element/17Cl-sodium chloride” commonly known as chlorine, into our gene pool: That would be more effective then an all out ban of anything firearm's related right now.

OK Open Mouth ~ Insert Foot….DEEPER
    PS: YO again, Brady Bunch, maybe you could channel some of your empowerment's to get too the bottom of Fast & Furious since it seems to be getting a bit more controversial given the latest discoveries, or a better idea. Work towards making a law against what they did so it doesn’t happen again? OH wait isn’t that illegal already? Would that qualify as a “Straw-Purchase”? Isn’t it against Federal Law to straw purchase firearms and related accessories or to export firearms to Mexico in any fashions, like that already? I think we also, currently have, a Marine in jail there on trumped up firearms charges? Maybe you could pull some strings and help that poor guy out?

The powers of being, just swept that questionable gun law event which cost us valuable lives under the rug. But now they want to come after law abiding citizens?
    msgt/ret and scgunlover1 like this.

Links