Local Gun Shop: Panic Buying or Going out of Business sale?

This is a discussion on Local Gun Shop: Panic Buying or Going out of Business sale? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went into a gunshop. I figured most everything I was going to want would be gone, and it was. My greater surprise was how ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Local Gun Shop: Panic Buying or Going out of Business sale?

I went into a gunshop. I figured most everything I was going to want would be gone, and it was. My greater surprise was how basicaly everything was gone. Not one AR on a bare display wall that normally has 60 + ARs. Most every handgun / pistol that has a factory mag that carries +15 ronunds gone, other then a few Glock & Springfield XDs, gone. Sure plenty of other handguns, but nothing much that has +15 capacity.

This shop tends to be about $25 to 35 high on a typical pistol. It is located in an upper middle class area, and they offer free range time with sale of new / in box pistols, so the cost is a wash as long as you take advantage of the range time. The level of panic at that location could be do to their customer base. However, sales had been a little slow over the summer, so I figured all those missing ARs had to be good for business.

So I say to the owner who knows me well enough to know my name, "Looks like you have been doing well." He went on to tell me it has been a good sales week or two, but at this point, he does not know when he will get more inventory, and looking at 2013, he does not know if he will be in business depending on legislation.

He was looking at it as a possible forced going out of business sale. It was an interesting point of view (that anyone might have in his shoes). Thought it was worth sharing.
    Last edited by Thanis; December 21st, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member
    WoW.

Saw one article a couple days ago that some GS in Fla. usually sells in and around $10,000 on any given weekday.
    This past Monday they did $40,000.
    $10,000 seemed high to me, but holy crap, $40,000?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Fools rush in...
    kb2wji likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    We had calls all day and lots of Customers with the same questions. All I could do was Laugh at them. We sold all are ARs all are 223 ammo and mags to go with it. We have about 12 handguns left, a couple of 308 PTRs and a FAL. We cant replace anything. If you wait until TSHTF you are going to pay double if you find anything at all. You Snooze, You lose!!

VIP Member
    We have a gun show coming up in January in Raleigh, going to be interesting to watch the panic buying. I already have two ARs myself I bought some time ago but if they are not too overpriced I may pick up an AK just because I want one.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I went into a gunshop. I figured most everything I was going to want would be gone, and it was. My greater surprise was how basicaly everything was gone. Not one AR on a bare display wall that normally has 60 + ARs. Most every handgun / pistol that has a factory mag that carries +15 ronunds gone, other then a few Glock & Springfield XDs, gone. Sure plenty of other handguns, but nothing much that has +15 capacity.

This shop tends to be about $25 to 35 high on a typical pistol. It is located in an upper middle class area, and they offer free range time with sale of new / in box pistols, so the cost is a wash as long as you take advantage of the range time. The level of panic at that location could be do to their customer base. However, sales had been a little slow over the summer, so I figured all those missing ARs had to be good for business.

So I say to the owner who knows me well enough to know my name, "Looks like you have been doing well." He went on to tell me it has been a good sales week or two, but at this point, he does not know when he will get more inventory, and looking at 2013, he does not know if he will be in business depending on legislation.

He was looking at it as a possible forced going out of business sale. It was an interesting point of view (that anyone might have in his shoes). Thought it was worth sharing.
    Those comments don't really surprise me. A few days ago I stopped in at a LGS/range and talked with a few of the employees that I know fairly well and we talked about them being concerned about having a job in the near future if the store has nothing to sell. As it is was when I stopped by they had some handguns and bolt rifles and that was it. Had some ammo is less common calibers. I won't be a bit surprised to see many GS going out of business in the coming months.

Links