Hand Guns at Newton shooting, CNN report

This is a discussion on Hand Guns at Newton shooting, CNN report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw the video earlier today and can not find it now. Want to share with co-workers. Any help? Thanks...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hand Guns at Newton shooting, CNN report

I saw the video earlier today and can not find it now. Want to share with co-workers. Any help? Thanks
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

-Carl-
    2nd AMDT = "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Thanks, CJohn364. That's it.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bill340 View Post
    Yeah...conspiracy theories are exactly what we need to back up our position right now. Lets be constructive here instead of trying to prove to the antis that we are what they think we are.
    Hopyard likes this.

Not to be nit-picky, just an FYI... it's Newtown, not to be confused with Newton, MA (and others).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    We can't even get it straight whether the rifle did the killing or if it was in the trunk of the car. (My own theory is that he shot everyone with the rifle, including himself, then went outside and locked it in the trunk. Once that was done he walked back into the school to be found dead.) Worrying about what guns he did, or did not, use isn't going to help anything. If he used a single shot 22 bolt action rifle they're going to try to limit magazine capacity and scary looking rifles. The facts of the event don't apply because our opponents will never lets facts stand in the way of what they want to do.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    If he used a single shot 22 bolt action rifle they're going to try to limit magazine capacity and scary looking rifles. The facts of the event don't apply because our opponents will never lets facts stand in the way of what they want to do.
    Hit the nail right on the head right there!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rugergunner View Post
    Hit the nail right on the head right there!
    No, Echo Four did not hit the nail on the head. He missed and smacked his thumb. That level of carnage
    could not have happened with a 22 bolt action single shot. Sure, some kids may well have been shot and even killed,
    but the level of carnage before there was effective intervention would have been far lower. The adults in the
    school may well have been able to take the shooter while he was working the bolt and feeding the cartridge.

Yes, there are folks who can do wonders with that sort of gun, but not many.
    Just FYI, I learned to shoot with a Remington Target Master bolt action single shot .22lr. So I have a fair
    amount of experience with its limitations as either a defensive or offensive weapon.
    keboostman likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member

If you look close at that video, that is not an AR rifle. The officer is manipulating the bolt on the side of the weapon, not the rear like an AR. Also at one point you can see it's a wood (or wood look) thumbhole stock.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    If you look close at that video, that is not an AR rifle. The officer is manipulating the bolt on the side of the weapon, not the rear like an AR. Also at one point you can see it's a wood (or wood look) thumbhole stock.
    I agree. The rifle they got out of the trunk looked like a .22. The place was littered with spend brass. They know exactly what weapon was used and how many rounds were fired.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    I agree. The rifle they got out of the trunk looked like a .22. The place was littered with spend brass. They know exactly what weapon was used and how many rounds were fired.
    Yeah, it looked like at .22 to me as well, I heard it could also of been a semi auto shotgun - the bolt manipulation would be the same.

I don't buy this being a conspiracy, guns to mexico, yes, this not so much.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    No, Echo Four did not hit the nail on the head. He missed and smacked his thumb. That level of carnage
    could not have happened with a 22 bolt action single shot. Sure, some kids may well have been shot and even killed,
    but the level of carnage before there was effective intervention would have been far lower. The adults in the
    school may well have been able to take the shooter while he was working the bolt and feeding the cartridge.

Yes, there are folks who can do wonders with that sort of gun, but not many.
    Just FYI, I learned to shoot with a Remington Target Master bolt action single shot .22lr. So I have a fair
    amount of experience with its limitations as either a defensive or offensive weapon.
    You're off your game tonight.

Read it again. It's not a question about what would have happened with a bolt action .22lr. It's a question about what the media would do if he had killed all those people with a .22lr.
    Brad426, ppkheat, oneshot and 4 others like this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    There was no opposition in the school. There was nobody to stop him. Whether he was using a 22 single shot rifle or a select fire M4, if a few people would have been willing to stand up and take him on they could have overwhelmed him and prevailed. That didn't happen because our system is set up for it not to happen.

The teachers have been told their entire lives not to fight back, that it will only cause them to get hurt if they resist. In reality he could have used a knife, a hammer, or a sharp pointy stick and accomplished just about the same thing. Sure, the final numbers may have been a bit different, but not by too much. If he would have used the single shot 22 I learned how to shoot with he may have killed 10 or 12 kids instead of 20. Sure, the number is lower but it still ruined the lives of a whole lot of people, and the anti-gunners would still be trying to ban black rifles and high capacity magazines. If he would have used a sharp pointy stick they'd be trying to take your black rifles and high capacity magazines. If he would have actually used the rifle they keep saying he used (but was found in the car not in the school) they'd be trying to take your black rifle and high capacity magazines.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    There was no opposition in the school. There was nobody to stop him. Whether he was using a 22 single shot rifle or a select fire M4, if a few people would have been willing to stand up and take him on they could have overwhelmed him and prevailed. That didn't happen because our system is set up for it not to happen.

The teachers have been told their entire lives not to fight back, that it will only cause them to get hurt if they resist. In reality he could have used a knife, a hammer, or a sharp pointy stick and accomplished just about the same thing. Sure, the final numbers may have been a bit different, but not by too much. If he would have used the single shot 22 I learned how to shoot with he may have killed 10 or 12 kids instead of 20. Sure, the number is lower but it still ruined the lives of a whole lot of people, and the anti-gunners would still be trying to ban black rifles and high capacity magazines. If he would have used a sharp pointy stick they'd be trying to take your black rifles and high capacity magazines. If he would have actually used the rifle they keep saying he used (but was found in the car not in the school) they'd be trying to take your black rifle and high capacity magazines.
    I stand corrected.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links