15 Minutes of Fame or How the Media Helps Perpetuate Violence

This is a discussion on 15 Minutes of Fame or How the Media Helps Perpetuate Violence within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All my life I have heard of the concept "15 minutes of fame". This is in relation to all the mass shootings over the years. ...

All my life I have heard of the concept "15 minutes of fame".

This is in relation to all the mass shootings over the years. The electronic media helps to perpetuate the problem.

The massacre in CT is an absolutely horrible happening and the media reminds us of this 24/7. How many copycat wannabes are out there fixating and obsessing over this. Fifteen minutes of fame or WEEKS of fame. What a prospect for the mentally disturbed and the truly evil. Which of these nuts is going to try to go one better so they can get their 15 mninutes of fame, plus.

As a parent and grandparent I can only imagine what the Sandy Hook parents went through and to be reminded everyday for weeks, 24/7, must be doing horrible things to their emotional well being. I know how I feel - sad, worried, scared and helpless.
    USN Retired

You have a very valid point. As grandparents we are pleased to see our children do not have their TV's on very often. Sometimes they go days at a time and then lose the remotes.

Re: 15 Minutes of Fame or How the Media Helps Perpetuate Violence

Well invented meditation before the stone age to allow ourselves a way to make sense of a chaotic world. Not much has changed that I can see. It's still pretty chaotic out there.

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Links