WHAT UP, Y'ALL? (Question about left-eye dominance to keep it relevant)

This is a discussion on WHAT UP, Y'ALL? (Question about left-eye dominance to keep it relevant) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; HEY. I've made myself pretty scarce for awhile, but wanted to pop back in and say hi. Things are good....pretty disappointed in myself that I ...

Thread: WHAT UP, Y'ALL? (Question about left-eye dominance to keep it relevant)

HEY. I've made myself pretty scarce for awhile, but wanted to pop back in and say hi. Things are good....pretty disappointed in myself that I haven't gotten my CCL yet. I tried to go downtown one time and they were closed because it was Veteran's Day (duh), and then I tried to go again when I was downtown for paying personal property tax, but that took too long and I wasn't able to. SUCKS. I need to get there very soon. Does the training you need for applying for your license ever expire?

I've been going to the range about once or twice a month. Enough that they recognize me as a regular, at least. :) Today I went with a couple of my coworkers, and I shot an AR for the first time! A 9mm AR-15. It was neat! I didn't do it fully automatic, just semi, because I wanted to get the feel for it, first. I didn't realize that there were front AND rear sights and therefore apparently at first I was shooting at the ceiling. HA. But then when I tried to look through them both and physically couldn't because I am heavily left-eye dominant, I was told that I have to hold it left handed.

WAAH? For real? I guess it wasn't too bad because once I realized what I was doing wrong and switched to the other side, I hit the bullseye (well, large middle red spot) each time. :D

It just kind of sucked because it was clearly a right-handed gun and there was some guard on the left side of the trigger that made it difficult to get my finger around it. So my weird question is, do they make ARs with a modification for left-eye dominant shooters? Or left-handed versions? Would rifles be the same way for me? I've never shot any sort of long gun, so I'm wondering if anything that has both front and rear sights would pose the same problem for me.

Also, one of the guys I shot with then told me that I was shooting my pistol wrong, that I need to shoot everything left-handed (I am right-handed). I told him that my instructor (who is also left-eye dominant) just told me that I need to turn my head a little more to center my left-eye on the sights. I don't think I'm shooting it wrong and I would trust my 30+ year veteran NRA instructor over my novice friend, but what do you think?

Anyway, that's all I got. How are YOU all?
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Hi
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Fair to middlin'. My sciatica has been actin up some...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    I'm right handed and left eye dominant and, for the most part, it's never been too difficult to get past for me.

For rifles with scopes or irons I close my left eye, just like most folks. With both eyes open with RDS, it's never seemed to be an issue. Pistol shooting, i do center the pistol slightly to my left, which allows the natural dominance to take over.

I've heard other folks that switch to left handed shooting, but I don't think I'd do it; especially with a defensive weapon. I wouldn't put my trust into my weak hand under those conditions. Just train a lot and see if you can work through it.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    For rifles with scopes or irons I close my left eye, just like most folks.
    I physically cannot close my left eye and not my right. I can close my right eye, but when I try to close my left eye, they both close! I've had this problem all my life. Seriously. Both eyes open I can't seem to focus well.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

shoot left handed. or right handed off the left shoulder. it's weird but it can be done.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    I physically cannot close my left eye and not my right. I can close my right eye, but when I try to close my left eye, they both close! I've had this problem all my life. Seriously. Both eyes open I can't seem to focus well.
    Hmmm... You can borrow one of my kid's pirate patches. The little Jolly Roger on it would make you look like a serious customer!

I can see how you might have an issue. Wish I could be more help but mine hasn't been all that hard to work through.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Just from MHO you should continue to shoot your pistol as the instructor trained you to shoot. The dyamatics of learn left hand draw and shooting would need a daily sessions to learn the muscle memory for conceal carry.

Now with the rifle it may be another story as you can train to shoot with support side. Getting a lefty rifle is getting alot easier.

Of course the eye patch is always an option as TX Xpat has stated.

A lady in 6" pumps, wearing a eye patch, and carring a gun, now that could be a heart stopper!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Don't sweat it. I shoot handgun right handed, left-eye dominant, and rifle left-handed, because while I am right handed, I lost the sight in my right eye when I was younger due to a macular hole in the right retina. No central vision in that eye anymore so I had to learn to shoot rifle left handed. Not difficult to do honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    HEY.
    WAAH? For real?
    Also, one of the guys I shot with then told me that I was shooting my pistol wrong, that I need to shoot everything left-handed (I am right-handed). I told him that my instructor (who is also left-eye dominant) just told me that I need to turn my head a little more to center my left-eye on the sights. I don't think I'm shooting it wrong and I would trust my 30+ year veteran NRA instructor over my novice friend, but what do you think?
    I'am left-eye dominant and right handed. I would try what the the instructor said. Been shooting this way for over 50 years. In shooting a rifle I have to shut my left eye, to get a good site picture.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

You're good on the pistol - doesn't matter what hand you hold it with, as long as you can line up the sights.

With the rifle - you will have to shoot left handed. It's not a huge deal. I shoot long guns left handed (and now right handed also), and I never needed a "left handed" gun to do it either.

I am right eye dominant, but my right eye was very nearsighted for about 23 years of my life, so I used my left eye for everything except reading. Left eye was always 20/20. I learned to shoot rifles left handed, because I just couldn't see anything (much less the front sight) when trying it right handed. Then I had PRK corrective surgery on my right eye. Now I can shoot rifles either way - but after years of shooting long guns left handed I just naturally bring them up to my left eye.

You have no muscle memory of shooting long guns - so it shouldn't matter much. Just learn to shoot right handed guns, left handed. The only exception I could see mattering is a bolt action. I have managed so far with right handed ones, but a left handed one would be much more convenient.

.....and hurry up and get your CCL application in!

Austin

Didn't realize so many left eye dominate shooters were out there.

I lean my head to align my left eye with the hand gun sights. Probably looks awkward
    but then the results speak for themselves.

Doesn't seem to be a problem with long guns using the right eye.

And I wondered back in the day why I never qualified with the 1911 !

I'm left eye dominant and right handed as well. It's OK for pistols but sucks with long arms.

Luckily my wife's best girlfriend from highschool is now an optometrist and I wear contacts. So she sent me new lenses with my left power 3/4 less than my right. Been wearing them for about 2 weeks now and it definitely feels weird but she seems to believe it will eventually help me to change my eye dominance to right.

I also agree with you on just tilting your head a bit more so you can use your left eye while shooting a pistol. That's what I do as well.

VIP Member
    Good to see you back again.

For the eye dominance problem. Since you can't close just your left eye, try either an eye patch, or take a pair of shooting glasses and totally blacken that lens.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am a right handed shooter with left eye dominance. I shot competitive skeet for years without a problem - I put a very small piece of Scotch Tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses, and the blurry patch from the tape was enough to switch my eye dominance to the right. For pistols and rifles, a very slight squint with my left eye is all it takes.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Links