SR22 or M&P22? Or other?

SR22 or M&P22? Or other?

This is a discussion on SR22 or M&P22? Or other? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am torn... I want to pick up a 22 pistol for cheap plinking fun and training. I LOVE me some ruger products but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: SR22 or M&P22? Or other?

SR22 or M&P22? Or other?

I am torn... I want to pick up a 22 pistol for cheap plinking fun and training. I LOVE me some ruger products but I have heard there were some feeding and other issues with the SR22. The M&P line of pistols have great ergonomics, and the M&P is also NOT double action which puts the trigger closer to that of my Glock (which in my opinion will make it a better training analog but I I would give me self a vasectomy with a rusty spoon before I bought another S&W product. I don't know what to do! :( What do you think? Maybe another alternative?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Administrator
    I would go with whatever one most closely mimics your EDC. Have you considered one of the conversions for your Glock?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I'm using the following for training:

1. Walther P22
    2. Ruger SR22
    3. Ruger 22/45 Lite
    4. Ruger SP101 Revolver

Of the four the 22/45 Lite seem to be the draw for most. It has a grip that is close to a 1911 and still fits small hands for training. YMMV!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I bought my wife a SR22 that we shoot bulk 550 count ammo in (which isn't the best stuff out there), and we've not had any issues with it at all. I'm not a big fan of the safety/de-cocker or the mag safety, but it works well for her and my young son.

Only issue we've had in regard to feeding was once my wife didn't fully insert the mag. A quick tap and rack fixed that.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

don't buy a taurus pt-22...unless you want to buy mine off me. than you should buy one.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Lead Moderator
    Isn't there a .22 caliber gun similar to the Glock?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

issc m22 is a glock clone in .22, ive yet to see one tho

I have the SR22 *and* the M&P 22 and quite honestly, I'm thrilled with both.

The M&P was kind of a "whim" purchase - Put plenty of rounds out of the 9mm and wanted something that my daughter could shoot (but something that I could use also). Hands down (at least in my case), by far the most accurate "instinctive threat-focused" firearm I have. 5-shots groups the size of a doorknob while "pointing in the general direction" don't even surprise me anymore with that pistol.

So much so that I wanted to get a "carry-able" 22 -- The SR22. I can put five shots in the 9 ring in the same time it takes me to line up the second shot with my SR9c (currently in the holster as the EDC).

Say what you want about stopping power... There's something to be said about a "confidence" gun as well. The SR22 is going to be the wife's EDC if she ever actually decides to "C" -- It's compact but not too bad in a larger hand (mine), great thumb safety, quick load, lightweight, accurate, all-around great piece. De-cocker, hammer, dry-fireable (rare in a rimfire), easy rack, good trigger.

The M&P, while a more accurate and more "fun" gun at the range, is ---- well, it's not exactly small and the thumb safety is rather wide.

For me, it'd be the choice of if you want it to be an "optional carry" or not. If so, the SR22. If not, the M&P is really a great gun.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

I liked the SR22, but the safety operated in the opposite direction of my EDC which was the deciding factor. The icing on the cake for me is the M&P22 comes with a threaded barrel.

Mine still has less than 150 rounds through it and it does not like federal bulk (550) or federal target bulk (325) ammo and only reliably cycles high-velocity stuff. Haven't tried CCI due to none in stock at the time.

BAR
    I have a Ruger SR 22 and have fired about 1,000 rounds through it. I have shot many kinds of .22 seeing what feeds and how it shoots. I have experienced many mis-feeds and jams. Often the first round does not feed into the chamber and at times the slide goes forward with no round. I returned it to Ruger and they sent it back saying it was an "ammunition problem". So I have since shot two boxes of CCI Stinger and had two no feeds. Yes, the gun is fun to shoot but it can not be depended on. My advive is use round nose high velocity ammo only and keep the chamber clean. Frankly, I think they are aware of the issue and are hiding something. So Iuse my S & W Model 34 when in the woods or on the trail.

I like my Walther P22, but if I had a chance to try one before buying I would likely have gone Browning.

I love Sigs, but the mosquito (in my opinion) is a piece of garbage.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I probably should have mentioned this - I have no intent of feeding it high velocity ammo. If it wont function with bulk pack stuff then I have no interest in it. Maybe I should look at a 22/45 instead.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

SR22 or M&P22? Or other?

The SR 22 may be one of the best shooting and most accurate pistols in 22 caliber that I've shot in a long time. I thought it was much better than my Walther P22. Especially for simulating a real carry gun during practice drills

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I probably should have mentioned this - I have no intent of feeding it high velocity ammo. If it wont function with bulk pack stuff then I have no interest in it. Maybe I should look at a 22/45 instead.
    Actually, I can't think of any bulk pack ammo that isn't high velocity these days.

My biggest problem with bulk pack stuff is that rimfire ammo is already at the low end of the quality control spectrum, and most bulk-pack stuff seems to be at the low end of the low. If all you're doing is shooting at cans and paper plates, and you can put up with a fairly high rate of misfeeds and misfires, it's just fine. But if you're shooting when accuracy counts, ammo that's boxed by 50 or 100 is generally a better choice.

FWIW, in my Ruger .22 pistols, standard velocity ammo (e.g., Win T22 and CCI standard vel) is more accurate than the HV stuff. Might be due to muzzle flip but it's noticeable. Doesn't make the cans jump as much, though.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I love my grandsons SR22, shoots great, very well built and has some options not found on other 22's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links