Help me identify this part.

This is a discussion on Help me identify this part. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people out there and I am hoping one of you can help me identify this part. Here’s ...

Thread: Help me identify this part.

Help me identify this part.

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people out there and I am hoping one of you can help me identify this part.
    Here’s what I know;
    I found this stuffed in the bottom of a German military surplus AK-47 magazine pouch that I bought from The Sportsman’s Guide.
    It was wrapped in brown paper and appears to be unused.
    The flanged end diameter is just over inch diameter, I would guess about .780 inch.
    The overall length is 15/16 (.94 inch).
    The end with the smaller diameter hole is 3/16 (.19) Inside diameter. And the flanged end has semi-round notches around the circumference.
    It is also threaded in this end. The threads appear to be about diameter and are a fine pitch. I don’t have my thread gages at home, they are at work.
    At first I thought it appears to possibly be a barrel nut for an AK barrel except that the ID is WAY too small to safely pass a 7.62 round through. I could dig my AK out of the back closet except that my wife has already gone to bed and I don’t want to disturb her since she has to work tomorrow.

100_0321.JPG100_0320.JPG100_0319.JPG

After thinking a little more about it, if it does fit onto an AK barrel, could it be used to create backpressure to allow the gun to cycle properly using blanks? I think I have seen adapters for AR's that are used when shooting blanks. I know you would blow your barrel to bits if you tried to use this with real rounds.
    Last edited by TedBeau; December 22nd, 2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: more thoughts

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It looks like it is a gas plug. Check the link below:

MD ARMS V-PLUG FOR SAIGA 12, 20 AND 410
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It may be the cap to the cleaning kit,It could also be used as a bore guide to prevent damage to the crown during cleaning
    AK47 Parts Breakdown and Review
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    It looks like the 'blank firing adapter' to me.

This looks like a piston nut.

The picture contains a M1 Carbine piston nut.
    Attached Images
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

after doing some research I am sure it is a blank firing adapter like this.

AK-47 Blank Firing Adaptor Threaded Military Surplus Fits AK-47 With Threaded Muzzles, Grade I Condition

Links