Is stocking/using surplus ammo ok?

This is a discussion on Is stocking/using surplus ammo ok? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am wondering if this ammo will be a good choice to stock/use in my M&P Shield? I'm looking for ammo to stock and practice ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By minimalbrat

Thread: Is stocking/using surplus ammo ok?

I am wondering if this ammo will be a good choice to stock/use in my M&P Shield? I'm looking for ammo to stock and practice with and I really dont know much when it comes to choosing good/reliable ammo. For those of you that store ammo, do you buy in bulk (if so, where?) or one box at a time from the store? Any advice would be great!

Surplus Ammo & Arms .40 S&W 180 Grain FMJ Pistol Ammo - Bulk, Remanufactured

Thanks!

VIP Member
    I have no problem using once fired factory reloaded brass. I've used Georgia Arms ammo for years with no problems. The problem might be availability. Was looking at GA website, and they're sold out of most everything.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Right now Fin feather fur has cheap 9mm ammo on sale for 9.99 a box, 10.99 if you want brass so you can reload it. This blazer is what I use to practice with. While I am not rolling in the money I got 10 boxes to store away. Hey, I keep an extra loaf of bread in the freezer, an extra bottle of dish soap under the kitchen sink and full cans of gas in the garage for the generator. Why not keep extra ammo around.
    NavyAirdale likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I have no problem using once fired factory reloaded brass. I've used Georgia Arms ammo for years with no problems. The problem might be availability. Was looking at GA website, and they're sold out of most everything.
    Yea, I just realized that most of it was unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    Right now Fin feather fur has cheap 9mm ammo on sale for 9.99 a box, 10.99 if you want brass so you can reload it. This blazer is what I use to practice with. While I am not rolling in the money I got 10 boxes to store away. Hey, I keep an extra loaf of bread in the freezer, an extra bottle of dish soap under the kitchen sink and full cans of gas in the garage for the generator. Why not keep extra ammo around.
    Thanks, Ill check them out.....maybe I can find .40 cal on sale too for my shield!

VIP Member
    Surplus and remanufactured ammo is fine.

Here I buy 7.62 x 39 for my teams use off the local economy. We get everything from new Wolf in the box to Czech ammo from the 70's. I buy a lot of Silver Bear 9mm when home and grab a box here and there from Walmart or whomever has it cheap.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Sponsored Links