Hollow point problems in COLT DEFENDER .45 ACP

This is a discussion on Hollow point problems in COLT DEFENDER .45 ACP within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have read several articles where the hollow point ammo are not feeding, firing nor ejecting properly in the Colt Defender. Has anyone had such ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hollow point problems in COLT DEFENDER .45 ACP

Hollow point problems in COLT DEFENDER .45 ACP

I have read several articles where the hollow point ammo are not feeding, firing nor ejecting properly in the Colt Defender. Has anyone had such an experience. Reason i'm wondering i have several boxes of .45 ACP Federal LE Tactical Bonded 230gr +P HP Ammo and have not tried them yet. Just bought the gun and do not want to damage it.

2. Remove Ads

I guess since im not getting any feedback on my question the articles i read must not have any validity. Thanks for looking at my question.

Another post asking the same thing
    hollow points in .45 ACP Defender

I had a Colt Defender and it fed the HP ammo I tried just fine; however it threw brass at my head hard enough to cut.
    I sent it back to Colt CS and after a 10 week wait it was finally returned; to my astonishment / disappointment it still threw brass at my head.
    I called Colt CS and was ultimately told that brass to the head was my fault, nevermind that I was very experienced with aluminum frame "officers" size 1911's and had not had this happen before. I got rid of the Defender and will never buy another Colt product.
    Assuming that yours ejects brass somewhere other that at your head, I personally think a +P load would produce a very stout recoil out of that little aluminum frame 1911.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

CDW4ME, so far i haven't had any brass to the head BUT i have only shot 230gr TCJ and 185gr JHP thru it. It seems to handle the 230gr TCJ as well as 185gr JHP OK. I will be shooting the LE Tactical Bonded +P after Christmas to see if its problematic. Also to see how the same ammo in .40 fires thru my wifes S&W .40 i just got her.

VIP Member
    Provide the links with the articles you are referencing.
    It sounds like its nothing I would be worried about.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

ONESHOT, if i knew how 2 do that i would. I just barely can operate this contraption as it it!

Re: Hollow point problems in COLT DEFENDER .45 ACP

My New Agent (same gun aside from the finish/sights) was totally unreliable until I switched to Tripp 7-rounders. I believe after watching it feed that it's the longer feed lips on Tripps. No problems since unless I switch to the old mags. I do that when I want to practice dealing with FTFs.

Short slide 1911 variants (all of 'em) are inherently more prone to problematic function than are their longer slide (4"+) cousins. That's why they ALL must run some sort of "dual captured recoil spring" (mostly Seecamp) system. Now all you Springfield Micro Compact & Kimber Ultra fans can begin lining-up to tell me how flawlessly your little jewels run (I won't argue your handgun choice) yet, at the end of the day, it's not a compromise that I'm willing to make for the sake of a 1" shorter slide. Very few high-end custom or semi-production manufacturers offer models shorter than 4", IMHO, for that very reason.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I sent it back to Colt CS and after a 10 week wait it was finally returned; ... I got rid of the Defender and will never buy another Colt product.
    I got flamed for it on 1911forum, but I feel the same way. I've had WAY too many problems with my New Agent, and was told up to a 90-day wait for warranty service (problems started right away, brand new gun). I'm keeping the New Agent, had it fixed by a gunsmith on my own dime and sorted out the mag issue myself. Colt may normally make good stuff, but God help you if you get a lemon. They're too busy for their own good these days.
    fail_187 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Short slide 1911 variants (all of 'em) are inherently more prone to problematic function than are their longer slide (4"+) cousins. That's why they ALL must run some sort of "dual captured recoil spring" (mostly Seecamp) system. Now all you Springfield Micro Compact & Kimber Ultra fans can begin lining-up to tell me how flawlessly your little jewels run (I won't argue your handgun choice) yet, at the end of the day, it's not a compromise that I'm willing to make for the sake of a 1" shorter slide. Very few high-end custom or semi-production manufacturers offer models shorter than 4", IMHO, for that very reason.
    Oh right, it helped when I put some fresh Wolff springs on, too. The factory springs wore out enough to cause problems after probably 400 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    My New Agent (same gun aside from the finish/sights) was totally unreliable until I switched to Tripp 7-rounders. I believe after watching it feed that it's the longer feed lips on Tripps. No problems since unless I switch to the old mags. I do that when I want to practice dealing with FTFs.
    Tripp magazines are what I use in my 1911's; I've had the same experience, a pistol would have a feeding issue that was resolved by using a Tripp magazine.

Prior to that Defender, I had two different Kimber Ultra Carry pistols; they didn't need a 500 round break-in near as bad as they needed to ship with a good magazine.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Its common in 1911 pistols, to have to carefully stone and polish the feed ramp. Just enough to remove machine marks. Nothing drastic like changing the angle or any extremes.Any doubt in your abilities send it to the competent gunsmith..
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Here are some compact mags. Left to right they are Colt factory (checkmate or metalform?), Tripp, and Wilson Combat. Compare the length of the feed lips.

Some people will insist this doesn't matter. Others say Wilsons are the best, fix problems, I shouldn't say they cause a problem, but at least in my New Agent, I can cause improper feeds reliably (at least once per mag) with the Wilsons and occasionally with the Colts. Have not yet had a misfeed with the Tripps. I'm sure Wilson makes great stuff, but it's not compatible with my New Agent.

Cycling the slide slowly, it seems to be a loss of controlled feed that does it. The round pops out too soon and ends up in front of the extractor rather than under it.

That's some good info brocktice...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links