"Why do you need a gun if you don't want to kill?" - Page 3

"Why do you need a gun if you don't want to kill?"

This is a discussion on "Why do you need a gun if you don't want to kill?" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You and I may be twin brothers! Right now many peoples' emotions are still raw over what happened. Just give them some time to vent ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: "Why do you need a gun if you don't want to kill?"

MJK
    You and I may be twin brothers!

Right now many peoples' emotions are still raw over what happened. Just give them some time to vent and hopefully they'll eventually realize - with a little respectful persuasion - that their positions are untenable. For example some of my loved ones are blasting the NRA for the suggestion of putting armed guards in schools. My counter today will be "Google 'Palm Beach school police' - they've been doing it since 1972!"

BTW...I need a gun because I DON'T want to kill. Based on personal experience the presence of my weapon saved the lives of three teenagers several years ago.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    I'm sort of in the same boat. My mom didn't really care with regard to my gun ownership, never really said anything with regard to me concealed carrying. Being fairly young myself (26 years old) and a bachelor she likes to visit me in SC from VA. Last summer she decided to have my niece and nephew visit her at home in VA. Her plan was to pick up my niece and nephew in Jacksonville, FL and drive them back to VA. Since SC is in between she decided to stop at my place in Charleston to avoid having to drive ten plus hours back to VA.

The only problem with that is that I was not at home at the time. I travel a good bit for work and the time when she was planning on stopping was in the middle of one of my trips. So being a single I don't secure my weapons in a safe and my loaded carry weapons are left in my nightstand drawer. She doesn't know how to safely handle my guns and now she is bringing kids into my house. So I ask my roommate who also owns guns to go into my room and unload all my weapons and lock them up in their cases. He also put all the cable locks on my long guns to include my AR. My Mom is very OCD and will clean my house and rearrange things to her liking if she gets a chance. Because of that she discovered my AR and suddenly started to have issues with me owning guns.

So now almost everytime I talk with her she tells me that I need to sell my guns and that only bad things happen with guns. This does not bother me primarily because of how I know how stubborn she is and thinks that only her opinions are right. She is so set in her ways that she still thinks the only way I will ever be successful in life is if I go to Med school and become a doctor. So anytime she brings up the getting rid of my guns and going to med school I just tell her no I won't and don't even try to argue with her.

Her sudden antigun thoughts were only brought out when she saw my "scary black rifle" as a result of an irrational fear she has with "military looking rifles".

RugerSRGuy I feel for you, although my Mom has never gone and thrown a temper tantrum with regard to my guns. All I can say is if you don't live at home and you are supporting yourself then she really has no right to tell you want you can and cannot do and you do not need to justify exercising your rights. In my Mom's case 99% of the stress in her life is stress she brings onto herself through constant worrying (not including my guns or lack of urge to go to med school).
    Are you sure we aren't talking about the same person? You described my mom almost to a tee

Sorry to hear about the family issues concerning your ability to make your own decisions. Sounds like your girlfriends a keeper. You should cozy up with her on Christmas. I guess I haven't thought about it but I grew up military so me having firearms was not unexpected. Merry Christmas to you RugerSRGuy. Be safe and go break in that AR.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by billstaf View Post
    RugerSRguy,

Stick to your principles and keep your guns. The Anti-gun types will all cool down in a little while and everything will more or less get back to normal. Your Mom sounds like she may have gone off the deep end a little bit, but she's your Mom so stick with her, even if she is wrong about this stuff. Time heals all wounds.
    Don't worry my guns won't be going anywhere.
    darbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximpactguns View Post
    Well odd advice but I'd move out of your state. I won't live in states with high gun control laws. We had a chance to move to Northern California but I passed it up because of the gun laws. I used to live in Los Angeles and hated the fact it was so difficult to own a gun. As far as your mom I think she'll get over it. Show her some statistics on how crime is lowered because of legal law abiding citizens owning firearms are growing. That sucks she took the ol' tree down! She must have been really irate! And I'm working towards the same goal you are as becoming a police officer. I'm workin towards my associates in criminal justice. I just can't figure out if I want to work for a local department or the sheriffs department. Good luck! And Merry Xmas!
    Thanks brother. Best of luck to you as well and enjoy your holiday!

One of the fundamentals of crime is when a predator determines your value of your own life and your desire to survive is lower than your desire to NOT hurt someone. Once that is established in the initial verbal or visual interview process the criminal also makes an instant decision whether they have about a 99% chance of succeeding in the crime. If these standards are met even a criminal that did not leave the house to commit a crime will often take the beautiful opportunity. People who have never been attacked or robbed are very likely to be too ignorant about these things to make a logical decision and have any common sense in these matters.

They will not be the ones that survive and should not consider themselves leaders or protectors of any sort of family unit. They are pretty much defenseless sheep. Baaaaaaah.

Two things people need.... To own a business, pay taxes and make payroll.. That will cure them of liberalism. And when they get mugged, robbed, attacked or raped then they'll start to understand gun control. This is not too far stretch from those reporters who do overseas to hug and understand the terrorists then have their heads cut off on video. I sure don't want to kill anyone, but just like I would kill a wild dog, I would not hesitate even the blink of an eye to shoot someone if it's justified. And I'd sleep like a newborn baby the next night. Just my opinion, but I'm firm on it.

I highly recommend people locate the older DVD on netflix titled "Street Safe" which is older production with mullets and bell bottoms but the content is superb. If you do not understand the Interview, Positioning and all the stages of a crime attack you are missing some crucial training that may change the way you look at every situation you walk into. And may prevent you from ever reaching the point of needing the gun. And help you to NOT be identified as the perfect victim. That DVD could save someone's life and you don't need a gun to use the training.

As a retired LEO I applaud your position, and ask that you continue on, just like you are. You are doing the right thing, and when you do that, in all aspects of your life, you can rest easy.

There will be people that don't get it, or don't agree. That's their prerogative but it doesn't make them right. Your mother probably thought you'd back down when she threw her fit, and one day, she'll realize how wrong she was.

Don't change a thing, and follow your dream. You'll do fine. Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

TVJ
    "I would rather be shot and killed than have to shoot someone...."
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Your not crazy... Im with you 100%. With that said, i also understand ur mom, your her son she loves you and will always respond toward your actions and decisions you may through out your life till the day she passes, its called (love) youll understand one day. Check my avatar its all you need when carrying. Heck you can even put it in your pocket and your mom wouldnt even know.... Your mom didnt need to know about your ar15 !!! Put 2+2 together, your around the age of the conneticut school masequer and look what he used and look what you bought, hows a parent to think... If you love your mom as much as she loves you keep things to yourself from now on dont stress her period... Eddie.

TVJ
    I would rather be shot and killed than have to shoot someone
    There is no arguing with this. Save your breath. To avoid drama that will frustrate you and have you questioning yourself, AVOID it. Use your situational awareness there.

You are a level headed young man who intends to defend his family and embraces the legal use of lethal force to do it. Kudos to you.

My suggestions: Your mom acted extremely immature and dumped all over you. Stop questioning yourself. Let her BS dump on you go. Take a deep bbreath, accept and love her for who she is, and LET GO OF HER BS GUILT SHE DUMPED ON YOU. You are allowed to let go of the burden she dumped on you. You sound like a good young man.

Redirect your confusion to purposeful, positive energy for you and your little family by going after your dream of being an LEO. Spend your energy on that and all kinds of professional Force on Force training to keep you and your loved ones safe.

Merry Christmas. You deserve to have a great holiday. Give yourself the gift of letting go of that BS and avoid engaging her on the topic ever again.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Reasonable Question

Since I've just recently made the decision to educate myself about CC, and complete my CHL class, I've been asking myself the same question. The bottom line is that I am not necessarily afraid for my own life, or even that of my family, as we live in a reasonably safe middle-class neighborhood and we don't make it a habit of putting ourselves in risky situations. HOWEVER, years ago I was at the scene of a helicopter crash during a Fall Festival ($10 Rides, etc.). I learned a lot about myself that day.

As most of the onlookers, and even the doctor friend I was with, ran FROM the accident, I realized that I was running TOWARD the accident. I turned around to see where my friend was, and he was running the other way!

With that said, if I ever found myself in a Sandy Hook situation, I would hope that I would have the mental strength and fortitude to take the guy out. No, I don't want to be, nor do I intend to be a hero, but this has got to STOP!!

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My wife is an inspiration with her trust in God and her belief that if it's her time to die, so be it. She would never even think about taking another life. To her credit, she never admonishes me for carrying or owning several guns. There are times I wish I could have her unyielding faith but unfortunately I view the world with a rather jaundiced eye. Too many times bad things happen to good people. I believe in God but not on the level of my wife. She wishes guns were never invented; I hope my gun is never needed. Our purposes are similar, only our methods vary.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    OP- good point emphasizing that guns are dangerous, but can be a safe adult hobby. ATV's are dangerous. Hot tubs kill children too.

Ask an anti-gun car enthusiast if they really need 350hp. It is so dangerous to be able to go 0-60 in 5 seconds. What about your 1/4 mile time? You can't even go 110mph, let alone do it safely in a 1/4 mile. Everything more powerful than a Prius should be banned.

VIP Member
    Why do you need a seatbelt if you don't want to wreck?
    EastCoastMojo likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Wanting" to kill puts you on the wrong side of the law.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links