"Why do you need a gun if you don't want to kill?"

This is a discussion on "Why do you need a gun if you don't want to kill?" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Most of my family belong to this herd... . They dislike guns and can't understand why I need one. The 'last' time I visited, they ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: "Why do you need a gun if you don't want to kill?"

Most of my family belong to this herd.... They dislike guns and can't understand why I need one.
    The 'last' time I visited, they made jokes about me liking guns...I don't really care about what they think.
    I'm kind of a strong personalty, so they joke and talk up to a point, then they leave me alone.
    I don't visit much, as I live in a different part of the country from ALL of them...that works out very well for me.
    surefire7 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

It may just be me..... But sounds like you just became an orphan.
    Yea I'm a hard @ but I have a sister I haven't had any contact with for over 3 years over less than that. My mother wasn't pleased that I wanted to be a Marine, but she knew she had to accept me as a Marine or I'd be gone.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Where do you conceal carry that AR15?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    In his fanny pak! It is a take down model!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

deleted... appears to be off topic. Apologies
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

VIP Member
    Answer to why do you need guns---- Why do you need golf clubs, bowling balls, tennis racquets.
    Shooting is a sport.

(Note the basic question is different from, "why do you carry."
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I need a gun so I can watch my children grow up. There are evil people in the world, always have been, always will be. I carry a firearm for the same reason there are fire extinguishers in my home. It's better to have it, and not need it, than need and not have it.
    nti06, CDW4ME and CharlesMorri like this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm originally from western CT...heavily influenced by family/friends living in NY/NYC, yet I always had an interest in guns. Most of my friends and family are from CT..some still live there.

I have a childhood friend who is beyond reach. I've been having a conversation with him, and he told me, as a teacher, he has a duty to protect children..."within reason". Huh?

Then he went onto tell me it's "God's will"...and to make the point finer, he believes that armed defense of students by teachers is "retaliation"...and guns don't belong in schools.

Sadly, during the discussion, he believes it would be better to be mayrtred than to defend children with a firearm. Yeah...he went there. I told him he has no business being responsible for other people's children.

For some reason, the most anti-gun folks from the northeast have some sort of emotional or mental block that prohibits them from thinking a firearm can be used for good....that all guns are "evil". Fortunately, I don't have the same problem with my parents or in-laws...they are very much Pro-2A, defensive carry, self-defense, etc.

Seek training to better your skills...stick to your guns (pun intended).
    surefire7 likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    Upon telling her I would not be getting rid of them she promptly said "*blank* you", told me I ruined Christmas, and took down all of her Christmas decorations including the Christmas tree. Still makes no sense to me how my gun ownership relates to Christmas..... Anyways
    This is an attempt at trying to control you. I don't let anyone control me, in fact, when they try to this is exactly what I look like: . I kind of look at them with a zombie like stare while smoking a cigarette and say, "Wwweeeeelllllllllllllllllll (while stretching/grunting)... it's about time to hit the ol' dusty trail, have yourself a good night there mam/sir (I say this line real slow and drawn out)" then I tip my hat just to be a jerk and leave. I've done this to my family members and strangers several times when they try and strike up an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by CigarStix View Post
    Since I've just recently made the decision to educate myself about CC, and complete my CHL class, I've been asking myself the same question. The bottom line is that I am not necessarily afraid for my own life, or even that of my family, as we live in a reasonably safe middle-class neighborhood and we don't make it a habit of putting ourselves in risky situations. HOWEVER, years ago I was at the scene of a helicopter crash during a Fall Festival ($10 Rides, etc.). I learned a lot about myself that day.

As most of the onlookers, and even the doctor friend I was with, ran FROM the accident, I realized that I was running TOWARD the accident. I turned around to see where my friend was, and he was running the other way!

With that said, if I ever found myself in a Sandy Hook situation, I would hope that I would have the mental strength and fortitude to take the guy out. No, I don't want to be, nor do I intend to be a hero, but this has got to STOP!!
    You're right, it does have to stop and I'll tell you this, the cops usually don't come until the shootings over, so what now? Sounds to me like we need to arm the teachers and allow CC in schools. Right now, not allowing CC in schools is just keeping the good guys out. The bad guys do whatever they want, whenever they want, and however they want. Going to an non-CC location is the best way for a bad guy to have plenty of time IMO.

Last edited by gasmitty; December 24th, 2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: language workaround removed
    surefire7 likes this.

Changing the Seat Belt Analogy

I think everybody uses the wrong seat belt analogy. It's not about you getting hit. I think the better analogy is, "if you wear a seat belt does it make you want to ram someone?.

I think this focuses the person on their actions.

I have mine for my protection as well as my family's in case as a last resort I need it. I also have it for others people's protection as well if it was a last resort. I also have people that are anti-gun but I have made a decision that my family's protection supersedes any opinion of anyone that I know.

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the family issues concerning your ability to make your own decisions. Sounds like your girlfriends a keeper. You should cozy up with her on Christmas. I guess I haven't thought about it but I grew up military so me having firearms was not unexpected. Merry Christmas to you RugerSRGuy. Be safe and go break in that AR.
    You guys have no idea how hard it's been to walk past a shiny(well matte-y? lol) new ar-15 and a box of 500 rounds every day for over a month knowing I can't touch it til after Christmas!
    surefire7 and JoJoGunn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    You guys have no idea how hard it's been to walk past a shiny(well matte-y? lol) new ar-15 and a box of 500 rounds every day for over a month knowing I can't touch it til after Christmas!
    I would have already put 1000 rounds through it and wrapped it back up. If she complains, just tell her it's marriage security....as long as there's a gun that needs clean'n, and she's doing the clean'n, you'll keep her around.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

I dont want to take anyone out but if I had to defend myself and people around me I would.

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, Need more 22 year olds like you out there! Good luck with your career as a police officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    Your not crazy... Im with you 100%. With that said, i also understand ur mom, your her son she loves you and will always respond toward your actions and decisions you may through out your life till the day she passes, its called (love) youll understand one day. Check my avatar its all you need when carrying. Heck you can even put it in your pocket and your mom wouldnt even know.... Your mom didnt need to know about your ar15 !!! Put 2+2 together, your around the age of the conneticut school masequer and look what he used and look what you bought, hows a parent to think... If you love your mom as much as she loves you keep things to yourself from now on dont stress her period... Eddie.
    Trust me I don't talk guns with my mom. She overheard my fiancé asked me if I wrapped the AR-15 yet. She's very nosey. The type that turns the tv down to listen if someone is having a conversation in another room.

PM
    RugerSRguy

While I have no issue with your ownership of guns of any kind; do you live with your mother? If so; what I hear her asking you to do is get your guns out of her house. If this is true then take the guns to your GF's or aunts or get yout own home. Her house her rules; even if you pay rent still her house her rules. If you do not live with her then do as she asks and not carry at her house and keep guns as you see fit!

By the way she has a biggere issue saying what you reported and canceling Christmas.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links