"Why do you need a gun if you don't want to kill?"

This is a discussion on "Why do you need a gun if you don't want to kill?" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "Why do you need a gun if you don't want to kill?" Because an evil person might leave this Good Guy with no other option ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: "Why do you need a gun if you don't want to kill?"

Because an evil person might leave this Good Guy with no other option but to terminate his/her existence in defense of myself or others. I will never surrender to evil.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    This brought up the question from a 110% anti-gun member of my family; "Why do you need guns if your not going to kill anyone? You don't need them at all. I have lived this long without needing a gun to protect myself and I would rather be shot and killed than have to shoot someone, I would use my fist or anything around me to protect myself but not a gun."

To counter this comment.. "So you would be perfectly fine with a piece of scum thug, invading your home, raping you, beating you, killing you, then doing the same to your spose and children?"

Then have them watch an episode of I Survived TV Show - Biography.com

Take your mother to the morgue and let her see the aftermath of a murder victim who couldn't defend themselves.

Sometimes the graphic depiction is the only way to break through.

I don't want to kill anyone, but I will to protect me and mine.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

Sponsor
    Don't give up on your Mom. My mother never went to the extremes that yours apparently did but she was vocally and vehemently anti-hand gun for most of my life. she never mentioned the hunting rifles my Dad and I had always owned but she hated our pistols, a .38 Chief's Special and a CharterArms .22lr revolver(for snakes and tree-rats).

When she found out that I had been carrying a gun regularly ever since being held at gun point in a west Texas 7-11, she went a bit crazy. It took me several years and many deep conversations with her but she finally conceded that while she could never use a gun in self defense that I was only being a responsible father and husband by using all the tools available in protecting my family.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    You guys have no idea how hard it's been to walk past a shiny(well matte-y? lol) new ar-15 and a box of 500 rounds every day for over a month knowing I can't touch it til after Christmas!
    Yea and you won't have sex till after marriage too; right??? Some things are just too good to wait!! Oh well just 1 more night.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Where do you conceal carry that AR15?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Ohhhhhhhhh, Like this one???
    Under a long overcoat. Then again, in hotter weather, everybody and their brother would know what you're doing.
    Of course, gangbanger, and insane nutjobs just don't give a rat's butt. Just us Law abiding people do.
    BTW I've concealed carry for 35 years, drawn my CC handgun 3 times in my life, stopped 2 crimes in progress. The third, I'd rather not elaborate on at this time
    Attached Images
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; December 25th, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Yea and you won't have sex till after marriage too; right??? Some things are just too good to wait!! Oh well just 1 more night.
    LOL! I try to be a good boy and not sneak my presents early since I'm very firm on not letting her get hers early :)
    CLASS3NH likes this.

RKM
    Just answer the question..... I don't want to kill, the same way I don't want to crash my car. But I still wear my seat belt. And I can just hear the response "but car accidents happen all the time and are out of your control".... Same with home invasions, muggings, mass shootings, etc.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    More simply put, If I wanted to kill, I don't need a gun. If I don't want to BE killed, I do need a gun.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    More simply put, If I wanted to kill, I don't need a gun. If I don't want to BE killed, I do need a gun.
    I would agree with that!
    CLASS3NH and GlassWolf like this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Love her and do your best to play along...But she's the one with the mental problem: if she can't handle your exhibiting adult decision-making behavior - to the point of profanity and a tantrum - she's clearly (well, to me) not capable of controlling herself. She likely knows this and fears how SHE would behave if she had a gun. Since she's not interested in examining herself (and certainly would shy away from recognizing any flaws), she shifts her legitimate self-distrust onto you. It's called projection. Don't expect it to change.
    I do not have a link that was requested, but I am involved in MH, and agree with Paymeister that your mother WAS projecting (my mom does that all too frequently!).
    ... and what's with the removal of the tree and decorations? Is she certain that SHE is an adult? That is a graphic demonstration of immaturity.

As for the rest of the anti-gunners in your family: I am 52, have owned long guns since I was 16, and hand guns since mid-twenties. I was faced with this attitude by my former in-laws (and they are former for reasons not related to gun control) and I asked a simple question, "Why do you feel such a need to bludgeon me with your anti-gun sentiments and change my mind? People who are mentally healthy with a modicum of security in themselves are not threatened by differences of opinion from other responsible adults."

As was previously mentioned, I use seat belts and have multiple fire extinguishers, but I do not want a car accident nor a fire. I want to be prepared if the worst should happen, and I do not live in small-town CT or CO.
    Maturity and responsibility have no age requirements. A Constitutional right not exercised is a right lost.

In the UK if you are being attacked and you mount a defense and injure the attacker you stand a good chance of being arrested for assault and receive a stiffer penalty than the attacker. The "logic" is that the attacker is mentally or emotionally impaired and
    unable to control their actions. On the other hand you are not afflicted and should know better than to resort to violence.

There was an incident where a young teen heard a commotion downstairs and went to investigate. He found an intruder stabbing
    his mother. He took the knife away from the attacker, but not before he was injured. He killed the attacker and he was charged with murder and sentenced to prison. Public outcry had the sentence reversed.

This isn't an isolated case.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin34 View Post
    In the UK if you are being attacked and you mount a defense and injure the attacker you stand a good chance of being arrested for assault and receive a stiffer penalty than the attacker. The "logic" is that the attacker is mentally or emotionally impaired and
    unable to control their actions. On the other hand you are not afflicted and should know better than to resort to violence.

There was an incident where a young teen heard a commotion downstairs and went to investigate. He found an intruder stabbing
    his mother. He took the knife away from the attacker, but not before he was injured. He killed the attacker and he was charged with murder and sentenced to prison. Public outcry had the sentence reversed.

So your supposed to just let someone kill you? No wonder you don't see Americans moving over there. I don't think we would take too kindly to that concept. I certainly wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin34 View Post

Man! I won't be going to the UK now that I know that... That is just wrong!
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Ladies and gentlemen: most that used weapons lethally in self defense are very wary to post on the internet for obvious reasons. Shooting someone in open country and cities are very different propositions, In the open you are primarily concerned wth your survival, in the city, mostly with legal after problems. This sometimes causes an unfortunate outcome. You hesitate 'too long'.

As for our young friend, merely find and reprint for your own edification on the no of registered times a firearm has stopped a crime in the US, understanding that there are many more that are never reported. I believe that presently it runs to over 1,000,000 times yearly. This is enough incentative to have a firearm handy for protection alone. Incidentally, most of the time no shots were fired.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links