Not Every Pro-2A Gun Owner is a Hillbilly, or a Skin Head.

This is a discussion on Not Every Pro-2A Gun Owner is a Hillbilly, or a Skin Head. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have nothing against either true Hillbilly's or Skinheads. They don't bother me, and I don't bother them. It seems with all the press regarding ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Not Every Pro-2A Gun Owner is a Hillbilly, or a Skin Head.

Not Every Pro-2A Gun Owner is a Hillbilly, or a Skin Head.

I have nothing against either true Hillbilly's or Skinheads. They don't bother me, and I don't bother them. It seems with all the press regarding the
    shooting in Connecticut last week, gun owners are being labeled as evil, dangerous people with nothing going on between the ears except hatred and
    the desire to open fire on a crowd of innocent people. They like to throw all of us gun owners into a lump cateorgory of being a bunch of knuckle dragging
    redneck-hillbilly's or part of some evil back woods militia intent on overthrowing our government and killing police officers.

I'm fed up with having to hide and hang my head after each of these whack job shootings, and feel it is time to call roll on who we really are as a group.
    I know we have a few self-proclaimed Rednecks in the group, and I'll take you guys and gals every time over a leftist-liberal, no common sense tree huggers.
    For the Skin Heads.....love the hair cut.

Me:

Born and raised in Champaign, Illinois. President of my High School National Honor Society, Vice-President of my Senior Class, Captain of the Varsity Basketball Team
    Graduated from the University of Illinois College of Business. Certified Public Accountant in five states, Ex Price Waterhouse Coopers Auditor, and currently Chief Financial
    Officer of a medium sized business in Orlando, Florida. Single Parent and have raised four children. Have paid for and provided a pistol to members of my family including
    my ex wife to get their concealed weapons license. Member of the NRA.
    Grew up in a house with no guns, but had an interest in them from birth. Got my first rifle at 12 and my first revolver at 14. Did not fire a center fire pistol until my 30's
    as I bought a .357Magnum to defend myself and family from a "very clear and present danger" from local gang members in Texas. Competed extensively in IDPA matches,
    worked in a gun store part time to "indulge" my hobby, and currently have a CW License in the State of Florida. I own more Glocks than anyone I know.....because they work.

If I sound like I am a threat to society and those around me.....think again. I am the first line of defense against guys like this nut job in Connecticut and Aurora, Colorado. I carry a gun every waking moment of every single day.....just in case the time comes for the Adam Lanzas or James Holmes of the world to step across my path. I will not run for cover....I will not let
    defenseless people die if I have any chance to change the outcome. I have never so much as harmed a dog or cat, and have a gene inside that has a desire to help those that cannot help themselves. My gun is not evil.....it is very, very, very good....
    because I own it for the very right reasons. Period.

....so how 'bout the rest of us here?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

2. Remove Ads

You should this as a "letter to the editor" of the Orlando Sentinel.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I guess you could say I was country, a hillbilly, or whatever on most days.

And then other days, I may appear different like at home;

Looking after orphaned children;

or,hanging out with a tribal leader discussing ways to help his people;

Its really hard for me to say who I am. But I know I am American, and I love my country.
    Lish, krisspy, zonker1986 and 7 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Similar story here. High school and college athlete, academic honors in high school, engineering degree from a New England liberal arts college, registered Professional Engineer. Boy Scout for 7 years; Life rank, Junior Assistant Scoutmaster, Order of the Arrow. Career in aerospace. Worst crimes against society are 3 traffic tickets in 45 years of driving and getting behind in taxes briefly over a decade ago. Lifelong interest in firearms and shooting, but no personally-owned weapons until I was in my 30's. Responsible hunter/sportsman, officer in local 200-member sportsmen's club, organized annual community conservation efforts to clean up significant river in western New England. Father of two grown sons who are now contributing members of American society. Obtained a CT carry permit 5+ years before I owned a handgun to ensure compliance with local laws. I frequently communicate with elected officials to understand their positions on sportsmen's and Second Amendment issues. Relocated to AZ almost a decade ago and quickly obtained an AZ CCW, again to be in complete compliance with local laws. Small-game hunter, avid shooter and gun collector, and compete in weekly USPSA-type club-level matches.

I carry defensive weapons wherever I legally can as it is my right. Like zonker, I am NOT a threat to society nor to those around me.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    No college here. 15 year Navy Veteran, Iran-Iraqi war hm.. observer, Desert Storm, other assignments we won't mention here. Left the Navy to raise 4 kids after wife went over to the wild side. Taught Adult and Youth Sunday Schools classes, interim youth leader at church. Work a full-time job + a seasonal part-time job and do other things to make ends meet. Bought my first personal firearm at 25, have a CWP. Member of NRA and GOA.
    darbo likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I have an MFA in poetry. I read the New Yorker. I support a boatload of liberal causes such as gay marriage and environmental regulations (not letting corporations kill you through poisoned air and water is a self-defense issue imo). My girlfriend is a half black bisexual. I'm an atheist. I could go on and on citing the ways I'm not a redneck or skinhead. And I firmly believe in the right to bear arms. Wishing to defend yourself and your loved ones is not a political or lifestyle issue. It's a human right.
    darbo likes this.

Myk

Re: Not Every Pro-2A Gun Owner is a Hillbilly, or a Skin Head.

Well, I'm middle aged and blue collar, and pretty much hillbilly and proud of it. I don't drink or use drugs. I love dogs, kids, and being an American.

I have, for most of my life, preferred the democrats views on government. I refuse to claim either party though, because neither side wants to give Americans 100% of the freedom they deserve IMHO.

Oh yeah, and I love my guns. And I would use them to defend innocent lives, even if I had to risk my own life to do it. Even if those I was protecting didn't believe in my right to bear arms.

Churchill said democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    darbo likes this.
    "When they bury me, make sure they bury me with my guns on. Im gonna need em. Cause when I get to the other side, there's some things that need straightening out." ~Bobaflex~

Fellas i to am an AMERICAN. I have been working and paying taxes since i was 15. I quit high school when i was 17 TO WORK to support my family (I was the oldest of 5 kids) because my father got hurt on the job and could not work anymore. That was back in the days when employers didn't give a damn about employees. I now have 4 grown children and 10 grandchildren. I have been a truck driver and owner for almost 40 years. I own every thing i have free and clear and i have several guns (pistols, revolvers and rifles) ALL my weapons are for the protection of my home, property and myself (My carry is a Colt Defender .45 ACP) and my wife carries (S&W model 410 .40) and is a damn good shot. With that said i guess we would be considered unedgekated rednecks. (We grew u in the midwest) We now live in Fl now and still work and do all the things a responsible adult is supposed to do. I have a terrible feeling that gun rights and ownership are going to be taken away from us and that's NOT RIGHT. I have been cussed at and called ignorant for saying things like "GUNS DON'T KILL. PEOPLE KILL USING GUNS" I have family that don't want me around because of my beliefs about guns and that's OK because this is still America and as of right now we are still free to pursue our beliefs. Remember 9-11 The whole country was up in arms and rightly so. The news media reported on it for weeks and kept the citizens in a frenzy. We all wanted the PRESIDENT to kick some butt and the butt kicking started. BUT it wasn't long before the whispers started. Stop the butt kicking and get our boys back home because WE do not want to think about it any more. As far as im concerned the PRESIDENT did the right thing with regards to the butt kicking. This is exactly what is going to happen with all the gun control stuff. People want what they want RIGHT NOW and later they realize Oh No we made a mistake because we did not think it through and now we realize we made a mistake. And the reason the mistake was made? They DID NOT GET all the REAL facts. They went on Knee Jerk heart felt feelings of sorrow. Now im not saying we should not be sad BUT we as a NATION can not let the sad feelings dictate how the Nation is run. Get the facts to make an informed decision with your HEAD not your HEART. Then act accordingly. Until we get news media that will stop sensationalizing tragedies like the Newtown, Ct shootings the uninformed will keep believing the silly things that come out of Politicians mouths. I am in no way saying don't report the news i'm saying report the facts and keep their noses out of our gun lockers. Heres a fact that no one seems to be offended by, I have lost a lot of friends to gun fire and they were killed DEFENDING our country. They died doing what our Government sent them to do.But that does not seem to bother most folks. They have only recently come to the realization our fighting men and women are HEROES. Unlike in the 60's and 70's when the returning fighting forces were treated like crap. Remember our heroes and use facts to make decisions that effect everyone before it is too late.
    darbo likes this.

People are always suprised to find out I'm not only a gun owner but that I carry daily. I don't fit the stereotype. Lol one day recently I went into work after going to a new range and started talking to a coworker about it, he and I had talked guns before. I was excitedly telling him about it when I noticed everyone in the break room had gone silent and was looking at me. One guy said "YOU shoot?!"
    I'm a mom of 5 boys. I used to teach students who were severely disabled, I resigned 4 years ago to stay home with the kids after we moved to central FL. I'm close to 40, have a degree in psychology and a minor (with enough credit hours for a major had it existed) in exceptional learners. Wasn't raised with guns, bought my first a year and a half ago and suprised myself by how much I enjoyed going to the range. It's turned into quite the hobby for me now. I'm very quiet and shy around people I don't know well. I'm the team mom for my boys' youth football team. I'm active with the committee that plans our local epilepsy walk annually in Lakeland. One of my boys has epilepsy and I try to educate people on the different types of epilepsy when I get the chance. I machine embroider in my spare time and my husband recently built me my own sewing room in the garage, complete with a/c so I have my own space to work on things. I recently went back to work part time as a ropes course and zip line attendant- I call it my mid life crisis job lol but it's outside in the sunshine and fun and I love every minute of it. We do live out in the country on a little land. I'm not scared of hard work, I've spread dump trucks full of rock on my 1/4 long driveway with nothing but a shovel and a wheelbarrow. When I'm going to town though I'm a girly girl and prefer dresses and skirts to jeans any day. I'm a registered democrat (don't hate me y'all) this past year was the first time I broke party and voted the other way and the sole reason I did was 2A.
    darbo likes this.

VIP Member
    My oldest son is a professional engineer, and his brother is a law school student. Their mother, my ex-wife is a nursing professor at Ohio State. My current spouse is a school psychologist. I'm a college grad and a Mensa member. I am retired and debt-free, and enjoy a comfortable income. I don't smoke, drink or swear. I have never collected unemployment, welfare or food stamp benefits. I am without mental health issues. I have no criminal record. I am a long-time participant in an American Indian Sundance, a religious ceremony which takes place in South Dakota each summer. I conduct sweatlodge ceremonies on our property for our local religious community. I have spent thousands of dollars on firearms certification, qualification and tactical training. I have spent thousands more on equipment. I train regularly, and extensively.
    darbo and zonker1986 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Didn't grow up around guns, but had a neighbor who was a NRA member, who would give me his magazines to read after he had. He got me started into a life of firearms. My parents taught me responsibility. Taught me that if I wanted something, I earned the money for it. Started mowing lawns in the summer and shoveling snow in the winter for my spending money. Got my first "real" job my freshman year of high school, working in a service station. I bought my first car from money I earned and saved. Joined the Air Force after graduation and spent the next 24 years pounding the flightline. Froze my butt off in the winter and cooked it in the summer. Since retiring in 94 I've done a little bit of everything. Owned my own business, worked civil service, gone to school earning an AAS in computer electronics, worked retail sales, worked as a voice/data technician, specializing in both copper and fiber optics. As my age has started catching up to me, I left the field work and moved into the warehouse to manage it.

High points in my life would be the birth of my 3 sons. Low was burying one of them. I'm proud of my family, proud of my country, and proud to have served my country. If those things make me someone to be scorned and looked down on, then I'll hold my head high and be proud to of who I am and what I have accomplished in life.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have a master's degree from the University of California. I tutor adults in reading. I have worked continuously since graduating college. I support Habitat for Humanity and the Nature Conservancy. I write training manuals and create videos for sporting activities. My wife works for a California state agency and is a graduate of a state college. She is very active in her church. We both have CCWs in California, and shoot Glocks and own ARs. Neither one of us have been active firearms owners until the last 4 years. We train with our guns every month.
    zonker1986 likes this.

I guess you could say I'm a hillbilly but living in Kansas it's difficult to find any good size hills so maby a "ridge robert?" Retired US Army, Industrial Engineer, Sunday school teacher and pretty poor golfer. Now just plain Retired.

I'm that yuppie-looking white guy that drives the yuppie car, wears suits to work, has the quintessential wife and two kids that you wouldn't think would be a 2A supporter.

I was asking a cop friend of mine (who is a black woman) a question about how the police on her department are trained to deal with concealed carry holders... she kinda smirked and said "We aren't worried about guys like you with guns." I'm that guy.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Im 28 almost 29. Didn't buy my first gun until I met my gf (now my wife) 5 years ago. One turned into 2, and that turned into like alot more. Have ONE issue on my record from a driving conviction in which specifically makes me eligible to become a police officer after Feb of 2013. Other than that I've stayed out of trouble. I look like a hippie to be honest, abe lincoln beard and long hair so most people think that I'm extremely liberal and don't own a gun. Tried serving my country last year with the Marine Corps but my half sleeve tats on my arms would not pass their new tattoo policy from 2011. (which i honestly think is a total joke) I was lucky that my wife likes shooting but hates autos and prefers the old wheel guns and my k98 mausers over any other rifle or handgun I own. Left Kansas City, MO to move to Charleston, SC and LOVE it! I've got one close friend from New York who is still young but into guns so I have someone to goto the range with on occasion. Pay my taxes every year, raise our daughter and try and contribute to this site because it's full of good people and good advice! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links