Public Gun Ranges After Christmas - Page 2

Public Gun Ranges After Christmas

This is a discussion on Public Gun Ranges After Christmas within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I avoid public ranges year round, but especially right after Christmas; same with gym after New Years. Weight room is down right dangerous, and it's ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Public Gun Ranges After Christmas

Administrator
    I avoid public ranges year round, but especially right after Christmas; same with gym after New Years. Weight room is down right dangerous, and it's impossible to get a treadmill or eliptical. Two weeks go by and they're all back to eating from the feed bags handed to them through a little window and I get my gym back.
    ksholder likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I haven't been to a public range in years. I live in a rural area, and have a pistol range in my back yard. I also own a farm about twenty minutes from where I live, and I have up to a thousand-yard range there.

^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If you are ok with calling a similarly-featured guy a year older than you "dad".
    You really should have asked if he was out of diapers yet!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    You really should have asked if he was out of diapers yet!
    or back in them might be more accurate.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Are you open to adopting a middle aged (okay, okay, 55yr old), slightly overweight (okay, okay, slightly heavy-set), congenial (okay, sometimes slightly grumpy) son to shoot with?
    But I'm only 40!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I too will stay away from my public indoor range until the new gun owners/Christmas gift getters have shot their guns once and put them away in the drawer because now they think they know what they're doing.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I understand there can be problems at ranges. There are always those that don't follow safety procedures but this can happen with new gun owners as well as seasoned gun owners. I have only shot at public ranges. I watch what is going on around me when I can. There was a time I was a spanking brand new gun owner. I didn't know a darn thing about guns except to not point the thing at anyone I didn't want to shoot lol. I have thought about staying away for a few weeks because there may be a great many new gun owners there at one time. I go on ladies night and I am sure we have a great many ladies getting new guns for Christmas. Maybe it isn't a good idea to stay away. The more people at the range that know what they are doing the less likely new owners are going to develop bad habits. Someone saying, " Are you out of your mind." Is better than those who practice unsafe gun handling to have no one to tell them what they are doing wrong. Never hurts to help someone who doesn't know as much as you do.. I am still thinking on this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Luckily I have a co-worker that lives on a nice private land lot out in rural like 20 mins from me. It's a shorter drive there than to the public range. And I can shoot at night or day. I don't mind public ranges. I understand the rules of being safe and having people at public ranges that don't have alot of experience, why not ask if they want some help or something? Would it take that much out of your day to educate someone in further gun safety?

I quit going to public gun ranges years ago...the last time several guy pointed guns at me tainted my desire to be there.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I haven't had any issues at public ranges honestly. Most people have been pretty aware of their surroundings. Even some teenagers that have been there seem to be on the ball with whats goin on and respect everyone else. Maybe I've just been on decent days.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    or back in them might be more accurate.
    Oh my gosh that's so sad, so funny and so possibly true.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I don't like organized ranges, public or private for many of the reason already stated. I do go once in a while, but luckily I have access to a friends property for private shooting, though it is about a 30 minute drive.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by jdivence View Post
    I try to avoid public ranges between Jan 1 and Dec 31. Just because of all the idiots out there.
    Excuse me? I am not an idiot. I offer no excuses for the guy four lanes down from me who shot himself through the hand. He didn't even have the common courtesy to say, "Hey, watch this!"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Just curious what your personal rules are about public gun ranges after Christmas. My personal rule is that I don't go to public ranges between Christmas and New Year at all and then not on weekends in January. Not only are the lines too long, there are just too many untrained people wandering around pointing guns, sometimes loaded guns, in all directions. I do go to the gun club range during that time as people who belong to the club generally have a clue and that range has a full time RSO who does a good job.

What is your rule?
    I am with you. Smart policy. Unfortunately I know I sort of need to get a lot of shooting in during the next few days
    so it looks like I am going to violate my own rule. See my other post here somewhere about vests.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Why do we worry. Guns go off by themselves and as such do not need the practice. Just ask the great O and he will tell you how dangerous that they are. As such they should be locked up and not let out as they cannot be trusted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links