Colt .38 LT Commando

This is a discussion on Colt .38 LT Commando within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi I'm brand new to this forum and came across it while trying to research the above mentioned gun. There was a thread posted by ...

Thread: Colt .38 LT Commando

Colt .38 LT Commando

Hi I'm brand new to this forum and came across it while trying to research the above mentioned gun. There was a thread posted by "bmcgilvray" that was very informative and I'm looking for some help. The gun is a Colt LT COMMANDO six shot, 2 inch barrel. The barrel does not have a front sight that was formed with the barrel, but has a"sight ring" slid over the end of the barrel and held in place by two set screws in the top. On the barrel is stamped LT COMMANDO and below that .38 special (Sorry don't know all the tech. names for the pieces). When you open the cylinder on the frame is stamped 7101 and below that the letter U. In front of the cylinder (on the inside) is stamped with the corresponding 7101, no letter. on the left side of the frame below the cylinder it has USAC-16528, and on the same side of the gun below the cylinder release it has the number 208. There is also a small number 8 stamped above the cylinder release. Any and all information anybody out there can provide for me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Dave

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Post your question on the Colt forum. Lots of Colt experts over there.

Hi Tropicaldave and welcome to the Forum!

Better late than never. Been away and busy for the holidays but want to respond to your thread.

Your revolver sounds like the "no-frills" version of the Colt Detective Special that was produced during Colt's unfortunate and infamous strike, sustained in the mid-1980s. During the strike, skilled labor wasn't available to apply the traditional Colt polish and blue finish so Colt simply left the guns rougher (may have sandblasted the exterior surfaces) and applied a finish that looks like black Parkerizing. I don't know if they used an actual Parkerizing process or not.

The Commando offers the same excellent utility as the Detective Special, that being the best snub-nosed revolver ever produced by any company (my opinion). Internals of the Commando are the same as the Detective Special.

I'm a bit confused by this comment you make.

"The barrel does not have a front sight that was formed with the barrel, but has a"sight ring" slid over the end of the barrel and held in place by two set screws in the top."

I can't visualize the front sight from your description. This doesn't sound quite right but I may be misunderstanding. Could you provide a few photos of the revolver? We love to see photos and besides, a Commando from the mid-1980s doesn't show up here that often. They were only made for 2-3 years.

Here's a link to a thread on Colt Forum.

Colt Commando Special

During World War II, Colt also made a model for wartime use called the Commando. This was a "G. I." version of the Colt Official Police revolver. Most wartime Commandos were 4-inch but a very few 2-inch revolvers were produced. If you had a 2-inch World War II Commando you'd have a rare bird which would be quite valuable.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks for the quick reply. I think with your information I have solved one of the mystery's. What I'm calling an LT COMMANDO apparently used to be a 4 inch barrel that at some point was cut off. I'm seeing the last two letters of the word COLT. Still have questions about the USAC marking. Would also appreciate any input into the value of this gun having been cut down. Thanks again for all the help. Dave
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Interesting attached sight. Could USAC stand for U.S. Army Contract?

Don't know. The only thing that crossed my mind was U S Army Calvary. But just a wild guess. There was one for sale with the identical USAC number, but where I have 208 this one listed as #195. Problem was it had already sold and there wasn't any info or pics available.

Popping back in again and taking a look at the photos. Been away for over a week with several activities.

USAC most likely stands for United States Army Corps otherwise known as the Corps of Engineers. Could also stand for United States Army Cadets but I'd guess the former. A quick peek on the internet shows other Colt Commandos with USAC markings.

Your revolver looks like an otherwise standard Commando with a barrel that's been shortened and an expedient front sight arraignment added. The shortened barrel and front sight are not factory for certain. If a spare Colt Commando barrel could be found for a decent price (less than a couple hundred dollars) then it'd be worthwhile to swap out the barrel in order to return the gun to factory configuration. Colt Commandos are far less common than their Smith & Wesson Victory model counterparts and are quite valuable. Both collectors of U.S. weapons and Colt collectors seek them. Fewer than 50,000 were produced.

Here's the Colt Commando that lives around here with it's ol' "Army buddy" Smith & Wesson Victory Model.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks for the come back and the additional info. I tried to post in the "want to buy" but it said it was not accepting new posts. If anybody out there can steer me in the right direction to find a 4" COLT COMMANDO barrel I would appreciate it.

Links