If You Aren't An NRA Member... - Page 4

If You Aren't An NRA Member...

This is a discussion on If You Aren't An NRA Member... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by PEF Bardo, The portion of Lapierre's speech regarding video games and movies, as I read it, is to illustrate the hypocrisy in ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: If You Aren't An NRA Member...

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Bardo,

The portion of Lapierre's speech regarding video games and movies, as I read it, is to illustrate the hypocrisy in the media - the glorification of a culture of violence as entertainment while demonizing lawful gun owners and attributing the responsibility of violent actors on the gun owners. Here's the text of that portion of the speech, and the full text is available at the NRA website.
    Thanks for the text of the speech. I read it again just to be sure I remembered it right... Even now, it still reads to me like La Pierre is basically throwing the entertainment industry under the bus.

Maybe he's saying "Go pick on them! Not us!" But that to me is no better than him just blaming them himself.

Regarding your assertion that guards in schools was "unquestionably was the wrong response in this case in terms of public relations," I must ask why. What is wrong with a law that enables local municipalities to provide security for their kids in school if they so choose?
    Strictly from the point of view of public relations. Whether or not it was actually a good idea (it is), someone in that position should know that it was probably too soon for such a suggestion, and was certainly not going to be received well by those who demonize guns in the first place.

There are those who say that we don't need those people on our side. I disagree. We live in a democracy, and votes matter. Before this event, 75% of voters felt we needed less gun control. Now it's closer to 50-50 in some polls.

Regarding your assertion that the NRA should have come out with some kind of mental illness diagnostic or educational campaign, that solution seems far afield of the NRA's purpose. Also, they are a 2A organization, and they are likely not qualified to whip up a " mental illness diagnostic or educational campaign" in a week.

Finally, you have the forum - What do you propose the NRA response should have been?
    I already gave my suggestions in my initial post. Make mental health education and gun security as big of a priority as gun safety in the NRA agenda.

I never said do it in a week. That would be absurd. But neither are they doing their armed schools program in a week either. They could have announced they are hiring or contracting with mental health experts to develop such a program. That would've been awesome and likely would have gained more allies.

Just Joined

I've decided I will join tomorrow never had before
    Mike1956 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

Was a yearly member but went to the quarterly pay life membership back in the spring. Glad I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

I rejoined after the shooting in Newton. After reading the entirety of this thread, I'm signing up my wife tomorrow. My son and daughter as well. Regardless of the varied opinions about the press conference, the NRA is the one organization that stands in the way of the radical anti-gun crowd. You don't like em? Change em from within. Write to them, give your advice and opinions. Just join.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    ...Where was the NRA in helping her identify that her son was about to snap? Where was the NRA in securing her firearms from him?...
    Seriously?

You want to blame the NRA for this???

Try blaming the evil person who pulled the trigger.

From what we have been told, it seems like the mother didn't act in a responsible manner.
    aceakarick and DFuller like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Do it now!

I've renewed twice in the last couple of months, and that covers about two more years.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Fast is good but accurate is better.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Seriously?

You want to blame the NRA for this???

Try blaming the evil person who pulled the trigger.

From what we have been told, it seems like the mother didn't act in a responsible manner.
    Not at all blaming the NRA for CT. I'm not blaming anyone.

Although the NRA is not in any way at fault for the event, they have an opportunity to respond it by treating mental health and gun security as extensions of gun safety. They're not doing that. If they did, I'd support them more readily.

You're right, the mom didn't act responsibly. Lets find out why, and fix that.

I posted this on another forum.
    This past Sunday, I decided to renew my NRA membership. I let it lapse last year. I don't hunt. I don't own a semi auto rifle in any configuration. Hell, I don't even own a shotgun. But I do support all those who do hunt, shoot in competition or want to own a semi auto rifle or like me just a pistol owner. The NRA is not only our best hope but truly our only hope to stave off the antis and their agenda to take away everybody's weapons.
    I agree, with a lot of things said in this thread. I feel competent teachers and administrators should be armed if they desire to. They will be in the trenches, not waiting for help to arrive.
    There needs to be some kind of changes in the mental health system that will help these wackos so they don't have the opportunity to go off in a school, mall or other gun free zone.
    Gun free zones are ridiculous in every way. They are nothing more than a psycho magnet for people to be able to do the most harm without the threat of being stopped!
    The antis will never stop trying to take our guns, but not one gun being turned in will stop a nut job from doing harm to society.

Rant off.

As always stay safe.
    Last edited by MrGlock45; December 27th, 2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: grammer
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    Bardo is correct. the NRA represents gun manufacturers, but not gun owners.
    The NRA has around four million members. In comparison the ACLU has around a half a million.

That is four million people who took the time to part with their hard earned cash. That is a lot of people.

How other many lobbies have that many members?

The NRA may get funding from the industry, but the membership numbers give them legitimacy.

That makes them our best hope.

If you think someone else will do a better job, by all means, support them. Right after you support the NRA.

-john
    d2jlking and wmhawth like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Not at all blaming the NRA for CT. I'm not blaming anyone.

Although the NRA is not in any way at fault for the event, they have an opportunity to respond it by treating mental health and gun security as extensions of gun safety. They're not doing that. If they did, I'd support them more readily.

You're right, the mom didn't act responsibly. Lets find out why, and fix that.
    How can you possibly say that you are not blaming the NRA when you wrote "Where was the NRA in helping her identify that her son was about to snap? Where was the NRA in securing her firearms from him?"

Your first question implies that if the NRA had helped the mother to identify that her son was about to snap the shooting wouldn't have occurred because the son might have been confined to a mental facility instead of roaming free.

Your second question implies that if the NRA would have secured the mother's firearms for her the shooting wouldn't have occurred because the son wouldn't have had access to the firearms.

You also wrote, "You're right, the mom didn't act responsibly. Lets find out why, and fix that."

Acting responsibly is a personal choice. People either choose to act responsibly or they choose to act irresponsibly. The choice is their's to make. Some people need to learn that their actions have consequences. When people don't learn this, they don't fear the consequences. Fearing consequences helps people to correct their thoughts so that their behaviors are responsible actions.

You also wrote, "I'm not blaming anyone."

Why won't you blame the evil person for doing evil things?
    zacii likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post

You also wrote, "I'm not blaming anyone."

Why won't you blame the evil person for doing evil things?
    Sorry, I'm not gonna get into a semantic debate with you. I don't feed those monkeys. Fix the problem not the blame.

VIP Member
    I'm already a life member, someone pointed out the obvious, and that was about signing up the wife also. I'll be doing that this week.
    1MoreGoodGuy and atctimmy like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Well I did like I said I would I just joined
    1MoreGoodGuy and atctimmy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Now is probably the time. While the organization is in no way perfect, it is the biggest game in town for lobbying for the rights of gun owners.
    I just signed up my wife and me, so two more NRA members!

Thanks

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links