Media Programming of Average Citizens

This is a discussion on Media Programming of Average Citizens within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My mother-in-law bought me a gun related Christmas present. We stay at her house and she has no issues with my firearms coming also. We ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Media Programming of Average Citizens

My mother-in-law bought me a gun related Christmas present. We stay at her house and she has no issues with my firearms coming also. We also have positive conversations about guns and 2A. In a discussion about anticipating upcoming gun control proposals, she also agreed that stuff would not solve the problem. Then, she said, "But I do think they need to ban those Assault Weapons that have rapid fire." I explained that they don't fire any faster than a revolver or pistol. One pull of the trigger, one bullet comes out. Semi-autos only fire as fast as you can pull the trigger. They're not talking about full auto machine guns." She said, "Oh, well I guess that's what makes them semi-automatic. I don't have a problem with those."

This just goes to show you how the media programming is impacting the impressions of people, even those who support 2A. I am glad to say that she now has an accurate understanding and does not support a AWB. A little education based on facts goes a long way.
    Brad426 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

You're lucky. My mother-in-law is virulently anti-gun. If she even had a hint I had a CCW or AR15 she would go through the roof. To keep my wife happy (who also shoots and owns an AR) we just try to avoid the topic altogether. Not my preferred approach, but I have to live with my wife.

VIP Member
    Media can't get much right. They can't even report the news without an agenda.
    BugDude likes this.

VIP Member
    The constant mischaracterizations by the media go unchallenged. The ditz arguing with Penn Gillette on the other video was howling about how evil the semis are because they can easily be converted into machine guns. Suffice to say, she has no idea of the machinations involved to perform such a feat, but her assertion stood unchallenged.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member
    The government is no longer trustworthy and the media is simply a tool of the government...
    mg27, BugDude and vilecanards like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

My FIL seems to believe that because I open carry I am automatically a target. I have been unable to change his mind. He says he would prefer if I carry concealed, but I know he is just listening to what the media tells him. So to make him feel better I will carry concealed around him and open carry otherwise.

I had that very same conversation with my boss the day after the Newtown shooting. She thought the Glock and Sig handguns fired "rapid fire" (like a machine gun, she said) since they were semi-automatic.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

It is terrible that what ever the news is about you can't get an un-biased report.
    Rock and Glock and BugDude like this.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Media Programming of Average Citizens

Quote Originally Posted by shadow247 View Post
    My FIL seems to believe that because I open carry I am automatically a target. I have been unable to change his mind. He says he would prefer if I carry concealed, but I know he is just listening to what the media tells him. So to make him feel better I will carry concealed around him and open carry otherwise.
    There are a lot of very pro-gun people that feel the same way about OC, it's a polarizing topic.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Media Programming of Average Citizens

Over and over I see people on Twitter, Facebook, etc saying, "I believe in the second amendment, but nobody should have automatic weapons like mass shooter X." Someone is sowing confusion on the issue.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The news outlets will do anything to get readers/viewers. My local newspaper was at one time the most read newspaper in SE Florida but chose to become a left wing biased supporter in 2008. Their paid subscriptions dropped from about 160K to less than 90K in less than three years resulting in a 50% reduction in their work force and they are still struggling to stop the decline in sales. The old saying is that you can fool some of the time but not all the people all the time.
    Last edited by chuckusaret; December 25th, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    My mother-in-law bought me a gun related Christmas present. We stay at her house and she has no issues with my firearms coming also. We also have positive conversations about guns and 2A. In a discussion about anticipating upcoming gun control proposals, she also agreed that stuff would not solve the problem. Then, she said, "But I do think they need to ban those Assault Weapons that have rapid fire." I explained that they don't fire any faster than a revolver or pistol. One pull of the trigger, one bullet comes out. Semi-autos only fire as fast as you can pull the trigger. They're not talking about full auto machine guns." She said, "Oh, well I guess that's what makes them semi-automatic. I don't have a problem with those."

This just goes to show you how the media programming is impacting the impressions of people, even those who support 2A. I am glad to say that she now has an accurate understanding and does not support a AWB. A little education based on facts goes a long way.
    I have honestly never seen nor heard a media report that mixed up semi auto and full auto. That's not to say they don't exist. I have just never seen or heard one. I honestly think the misinformation about firearms have more to do with movies, TV and video games than it does the media. Does the media share some of the blame? I guess... but I honestly don't think it shoulders the bulk of it.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    The media loves to use buzzwords to incite fear and mistrust. Words such as gun violence make people think that guns can just go on a rampage by themselves, if they were truthfully reporting it would be “criminal violence using a gun”. Another is “hi-cap mag” when in reality it is just a magazine designed to be used in a particular weapon no matter if it contains 5 rounds or 100 rounds. Then there is the “Saturday night special” a phrase coined to vilify any low cost weapon, true they may be low cost and sometimes unreliable but then they maybe the only thing some can afford for self protection. Rarely is a semi-auto weapon reported as such, it is almost always referred to as an automatic assault weapon no matter if it is an AR-15, Ruger 10/22 or Remington Model 1100 in the medias eye they are all assault weapons capable of killing dozens with just one pull of the trigger. These are just a few examples of buzzwords but there are many more the “news” media use to vilify weapons and gun owners and try to push for their utopia gun free society.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Nice mother in law! She is a keeper.. I bet you are more enthus about going to see her than your wife!
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Our society is full of robots, that like to get on the band wagon since they are weak minded and cannot think for themselves. The media is worse, they report things that will sell papers. Usually left wing things...But...it is usually bad stuff all the time with different names and different faces. That is why I don't watch TV or read the papers.
    Merry Christmas!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links