Question on shipping rifles

This is a discussion on Question on shipping rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My dad had 2 rifles that I want to have him send to me. Why? He will never shoot them again, and I don't want ...

My dad had 2 rifles that I want to have him send to me. Why? He will never shoot them again, and I don't want to buy any since there are some in the family. 1 is a .22 that his grandfather gave him as a kid, and the other is a 7.62. I don't know much more about them yet. Mainly family value.

So, he is in North Dakota, I am in South Carolina. What is the easiest way to have him ship these to me?? No purchase is involved.

Is it as easy as taking them to a UPS center, boxing them up and shipping? Probably not this easy

Help me out, I know these have been sitting in there cases for years now.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Assistant Administrator
    Well - I sold a couple of long guns for a buddy this year. All I needed to do was ship them to buyer's FFL.

First, I approached UPS and arranged a pick-up. The girl asked me to wait while she checked but said ''OK'' and I gave her FFL address. It went fine.

Not too long after went to use them again - 'NO' - despite my protestations, seemingly the girl I had dealt with before got it wrong. No good unless FFL to FFL or so they said!!

I took what was for me an easy option and got my FFL to send it out USPS and because he knows me well - I only reimbursed him for the actual ship cost - very fair.

However if you are family to family this should make things way different but - I am not sure even now how the carriers regard that - someone else may know. Long arms should be easy within family - hope this is case for you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

check the ATF site's FAQ (frequently asked questions) here:
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm

this question is addressed there.

bottom line - I think interstate shipment requires that he ship it to an FFL in your area.

from what I found, I can have dad ship them to my FFL.
    Last edited by XD in SC; October 14th, 2006 at 10:15 PM.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

First, I approached UPS and arranged a pick-up. The girl asked me to wait while she checked but said ''OK'' and I gave her FFL address. It went fine.

Not too long after went to use them again - 'NO' - despite my protestations, seemingly the girl I had dealt with before got it wrong. No good unless FFL to FFL or so they said!!
    Seems like I have had to go through the "yes you can no you can't I don't know" game every time I go to UPS and once or twice at Fedex, depending on the person behind the counter. Understandable, I recently even had to disagree with an FFL about shipping, the ATF site be darned. A call to the ATF inspector confirmed that the FAQ on the ATF site was indeed the LAW, and the ATF guy gave me his name, direct phone line in, the page in his book, and paragraph to refer to to forward to the FFL (in a big, very busy gun store).
    What Would Gumby Do?

I recently shipped a rifle to upstate New York. All I had to do was take it to my dealer, and have them ship it UPS to the buyers dealer. Cost me only the price of shipping. Seems like the easiest way to go to avoid any legality issues.
    \"What you\'ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response where you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul.\" My adoring wife, at least once a day.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_db View Post
    check the ATF site's FAQ (frequently asked questions) here:
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm

this question is addressed there.

bottom line - I think interstate shipment requires that he ship it to an FFL in your area.
    I sent my son's rifle to him in Texas and had to go FFL toFFL.

Links