Cheaper then Dirt price gouging... - Page 2

Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

This is a discussion on Cheaper then Dirt price gouging... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Folks, this is OUR fault. Show of hands, how many of us sprinted to the store for ammo, fearing we would never be able to ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

Folks, this is OUR fault. Show of hands, how many of us sprinted to the store for ammo, fearing we would never be able to buy it again. $1/round is business, plain and simple. It's up to us to lower the demand ! !

If we all just sit back for a few months and relax, supply and prices will stabilize. I'm far more worried about this frenzy WE are creating than I am about where i'll get my ammo 2 years from now. Quit driving up the prices! I for one will take a month or two off with my AR so I can save 80% on my ammo.
    Rollo and jem102 like this.

VIP Member
    It's times like these when I really pat myself on the back for making the investment in reloading equipment!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    It's times like these when I really pat myself on the back for making the investment in reloading equipment!
    I think I finally have my firearms needs met...for a little while anyway...this is the next thing that I am planning to get involved with. Now if I can only convince the wife that I should divert some funds. Trying to get our house ready to sell sure sucks up a lot of cash...and time.

i put in an order at lucky gunner but it was something i was planning on doing anyways. glad i did since everything is sold out now.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

Just remember, the price you pay now, (the gouging price) with reflect the price THEY (anybody who gouges) will pay later. I wouldn't buy a screw from them if they would do that (gouge) to my customers.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    I think I finally have my firearms needs met...for a little while anyway...this is the next thing that I am planning to get involved with. Now if I can only convince the wife that I should divert some funds. Trying to get our house ready to sell sure sucks up a lot of cash...and time.
    Shame on you! We can't have any wife ever thinking that having "all of our firearms needs met" is possible! Dang it man, what if she tells my wife that it is possible to have all the guns you need. You can't let this happen! Repeat after me: "I really need another rifle", "I really need another pistol", "I really need another shotgun"...
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I saw a thread on m4carbine where a guy took a screen shot on Cheaper Than Dirt where they were charging $59 and some change for PMags. Cheaper than a Diamond did this same stunt in 08. It makes me glad I haven't bought anything from them since at least 08 and I don't ever plan on doing so again.

VIP Member
    It isn't gouging. It is following the fundamental rules of supply and demand. As one that owns a commodity they will charge the highest price at which demand remains constant for their product. If they set the price too high people will not buy the product. If they set the price too low they will sell out of the product which would prevent you from being able to buy the ammunition and them from being able to sell you other items that you buy on impulse since you're already placing an order. You do not sell a product based on what you paid for your supply, ever. If you did you'd likely end up selling your product for less than you'll pay wholesale for the replacement items when you reorder stock.

While CTD would not be my first choice due to their pulling firearms sales I'm not going to pretend to think they're doing anything wrong here. And if I needed 5.56 ammo and my usual sources were unable to fill my order, then I'd buy from them knowing that the higher price is now the fair price.
    brocktice and Chris Dawg like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Price Gouging:
    pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available

Price Gouging:
    is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair

Price Ceilings:
    Laws limit the maximum price that can be charged for goods. Because A prevalent concern surrounding price gouging is that it exploits consumers

mcgyver210 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    This same thing happened when Mr. O. was elected the first time.

Everyone ran out and started buying up stuff. Prices went up and things became scarce for a while.

Same thing now. But as the last feeding frenzy rose prices, and they didn't really comedown much if any. It could be the same-thing now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    It isn't gouging. It is following the fundamental rules of supply and demand. As one that owns a commodity they will charge the highest price at which demand remains constant for their product. If they set the price too high people will not buy the product. If they set the price too low they will sell out of the product which would prevent you from being able to buy the ammunition and them from being able to sell you other items that you buy on impulse since you're already placing an order. You do not sell a product based on what you paid for your supply, ever. If you did you'd likely end up selling your product for less than you'll pay wholesale for the replacement items when you reorder stock.

While CTD would not be my first choice due to their pulling firearms sales I'm not going to pretend to think they're doing anything wrong here. And if I needed 5.56 ammo and my usual sources were unable to fill my order, then I'd buy from them knowing that the higher price is now the fair price.
    Absolutely correct, thank you Echo

.223 would not be $1/round if nobody was paying $1/round. Again, its our fault.

Granted, it's a greedy move. We as consumers can and will remember who inflated prices more than others once things stabilize. Fact remains, its business. Dont pay it, and they wont charge it.

I've never bought anything from "Cheaper" Than Dirt. I've checked their wesite numerous times in the past, and have always found the "Cheaper" part of their name a misnomer! I've always found items at other places cheaper--including locally! Now that they are gouging the buying public, I'm certain I won't ever buy from them! Too many other sources, including local gun shops, to support a business that gouges customers just because "they can"! Ya, it's "captialism" and "supply and demand"--but some "customers" have a long memory. You reap what you sow!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    CTD is dead to me

This is not price gouging.

Price gouging is when you gouge yourself by paying more than you think you should because you didn't plan ahead and see this coming - you do it to yourself. Looking online at high prices, knowing you have plenty and planned ahead, and knowing that prices will come down in a few months.....all of the sudden it doesn't look like price gouging. It looks like a smart way to take advantage of the market conditions at the time.

People buying out of fear will pay whatever price they can find in stock - the only way to keep product in stock is to raise the price. If someone truly believes that mags and/or ammo will never be available again, and they feel they must buy some right now....then price is really no object. $1/round is no big deal if you look at it this way - they could be charging $2/round and it would be the same. The flip side of the coin is that they have products in stock - and if mags and ammo really do go away forever, their remaining stock will go up in value/price.....so maybe they are hoping not just to make a profit, but to keep some product in stock for future price increases.

People will forget this quickly. A few folks will remember how they felt wronged, and not buy from CTD ever again. Some people never shopped there in the first place. But there will be a new generation of people turning 18 and shopping for gun parts etc, seeing ads online, and getting catalogs in the mail, and they are the market that CTD is aiming for anyways.

Austin

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Out of the local stores I have near me only one has kept prices within the normal range for mags, guns, and ammo. Says a lot to me. CTD has never been my favorite place.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links