Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

This is a discussion on Cheaper then Dirt price gouging... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I quit buying from CTD when CA was in the middle of a court battle over regulating pistol ammo. CTDs statement was along the lines ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I quit buying from CTD when CA was in the middle of a court battle over regulating pistol ammo. CTDs statement was along the lines of When the wimps of CA learn to stand on there own two feet, We will consider further ammo sales there! And then when the ammo grabbers were stopped in court, CTD tried to pretend that they were part of solution. They will never get another of my dollars nor any of my kids. And Ill be telling anyone who will listen, CTD is no friend of the 2nd A, and no friend to CA shooters! DR

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Out of the local stores I have near me only one has kept prices within the normal range for mags, guns, and ammo. Says a lot to me. CTD has never been my favorite place.
    You're still doing better than we are here. I stopped in a local store to buy a couple of boxes of 12 gauge shells the other day (I never shoot the shotgun, I don't like the shotgun, I got talked into shooting fake birds made of clay this weekend though) and saw that things there had gotten out of hand. I called all of the stores within an hour of me and all of them have raised the prices considerably. I'm glad I'm not hurting for any ammo. I was going to buy come more .45 ACP soon but I could hold off for 3-6 months without it hurting anything. If things are back to normal then, great. If not at least I'll know I won't regret the purchase a couple weeks later when prices get back to normal.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I'm glad I saw this coming well in advance and made my purchases when the prices were more reasonable.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I still can't get all worked up over this 'price-gouging' thing. It's the pulling of firearms (until they realized it was a bad decision) from sale that finally put CTD on my do-not-trade-with list.

I said it before -- if the market price is high, then selling for that price is not (IMO) price gouging. If a store, say, somehow buys up all of something, and then sells for way over MSRP because they've created an artificial monopoly, that's another thing. As it is, AR lowers, 30-round pmags, etc, are pretty much gone, everywhere. That means they were priced too low.
    aus71383 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I still can't get all worked up over this 'price-gouging' thing. It's the pulling of firearms (until they realized it was a bad decision) from sale that finally put CTD on my do-not-trade-with list.

I said it before -- if the market price is high, then selling for that price is not (IMO) price gouging. If a store, say, somehow buys up all of something, and then sells for way over MSRP because they've created an artificial monopoly, that's another thing. As it is, AR lowers, 30-round pmags, etc, are pretty much gone, everywhere. That means they were priced too low.
    I don't know how to respond to this....let me think about it and reflect before I do

No the price before all the madness happened is the normal price, they weren't priced too low. This is why CTD is going to lose business. Even Magpul's website says that the new Gen3 mags are to be 14.95 and the Gen 2 mags for 12.95
    Google Image Result for http://gunmart.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/cheaper-than-dirt-pmag-price-gouge.png%3Fw%3D500%26h%3D300

Re: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    No the price before all the madness happened is the normal price, they weren't priced too low. This is why CTD is going to lose business. Even Magpul's website says that the new Gen3 mags are to be 14.95 and the Gen 2 mags for 12.95
    Google Image Result for http://gunmart.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/cheaper-than-dirt-pmag-price-gouge.png%3Fw%3D500%26h%3D300
    I didn't say the 'normal' price, I said the 'market' price. 30-round mags are just more valuable than the sticker price right now. I do some currency trading, so I'm used to value fluctuations like this. Maybe that's an unusual perspective. The thing where stores are limiting quantities to prevent bulk purchase and resale? They are trying to prevent arbitrage, which is where people profit from inefficiencies in the market, in this case an unusual difference between the sale price and the value.

I can see giving your future business to places that aren't raising prices. They're trying to do their customers a favor, but they are doing it at their expense, like a special sale. They are selling for below market price. I can't get angry at companies selling for around what something is worth, though.

I didn't say the 'normal' price, I said the 'market' price. 30-round mags are just more valuable than the sticker price right now. I do some currency trading, so I'm used to value fluctuations like this. Maybe that's an unusual perspective. The thing where stores are limiting quantities to prevent bulk purchase and resale? They are trying to prevent arbitrage, which is where people profit from inefficiencies in the market, in this case an unusual difference between the sale price and the value.

I can see giving your future business to places that aren't raising prices. They're trying to do their customers a favor, but they are doing it at their expense, like a special sale. They are selling for below market price. I can't get angry at companies selling for around what something is worth, though.
    OK I'll fall prey.

Trading commodities and manufactured man-made retail artifacts are not the same. It is like comparing walnuts to avocados.

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    OK I'll fall prey.

Trading commodities and manufactured man-made retail artifacts are not the same. It is like comparing walnuts to avocados.
    If you've traveled to less developed countries you'll find that there's no fixed price for anything. In the USA and Europe, and some other countries, we conventionally don't negotiate prices for new, inexpensive things, so I can understand why it upsets people when it's done differently, I guess. That said, even fixed store prices do eventually adapt to market conditions. Usually it's not as fast as it was in the wake of Sandy Hook.

Just like after the 2008 election. I refuse to shop there, and they're only a short drive away.

If you've traveled to less developed countries you'll find that there's no fixed price for anything. In the USA and Europe, and some other countries, we conventionally don't negotiate prices for new, inexpensive things, so I can understand why it upsets people when it's done differently, I guess. That said, even fixed store prices do eventually adapt to market conditions. Usually it's not as fast as it was in the wake of Sandy Hook.
    Usually it's not as fast as it was in the wake of Sandy Hook. PRICE GOUGING!!!

I’ve been to third world countries, plenty. I’ve bought & sold there. They haggle we don’t.

That isn’t how our USA retail economy operates.

We don’t go into say … CTD and see it marked for $12.98 and ask: “Will you take $11.50?” They don’t reply: “Deal!” They’d look at you like your nuts-oh!

Just as this false scare has turned into a major Price Gouging Event. So as NOW CTD has begun to price well over what is considered a reasonable or fair market price of fair market value, just because they can!

Yes if they PAY $70.00 for a P-mag and sell it at a fair marginal profit at say $78.40/12% no problem.
    BUT, if they pay $10.00 for a P-mag and their yesterday price was $11.20, and they start selling that SAME $10.00/$11.20 P-mag for $95.00 tomorrow? That is Price Gouging and WAY above any price Ceiling’s consent.

A commodity, like your talking about like say gasoline. Those prices fluctuate off of Market Pricing and futures.

But a gas station can not raise their existing pump price to a new market price on any existing stock until they receive a NEW DELIVERY at a higher market price, legally. My brother in-law has a couple stations so I know that to be exactly true. Once they get a new delivery at a higher price they can now adjust their pump price, as they have to lower it when they get in their next tanker at a reduced price too.

The way WE do business in the U.S.A. is; the fair value price of a man-made retail item is the cost of materials to build/make it, cost of labor to produce, cost of tools of trade depreciation, rent & nut on factory space, add on a small modest profit, and wah lah. Fair Market Value/Fair Market Price!!

Now buy it for 10-bucks and sell it for 12-bucks; Fair Market Value/Fair Market Price

Not buy it for 10-bucks and sell it for 90-bucks….just because I can; Price Gouging/Well Above Price Ceilings

CTD sees Bass sees Cabela’s sees Midway sees < insert store here > doing it and all getting away with it and now you have a Price Gouging Pandemic.

Price Gouging:
    is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair

Price Gouging:
    pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available <"Usually it's not as fast as it was in the wake of Sandy Hook". PRICE GOUGING!!!

Price Ceilings:
    Laws limit the maximum price that can be charged for goods. Because A prevalent concern surrounding price gouging is that it exploits consumers
    Darrow75 and JDE101 like this.

You know, you keep re-posting those definitions, but when they are selling for $50-$75 on gunbroker, I'm going to have a hard time believing $12 is any longer a fair price.

Two weeks ago I stopped by Cheaper Than Dirt for ammo and the price for 380 ammo had jumped $6.00 a box and I have not been back since.

Well I tend to not buy ammo online and go locally. The place I shop at hasn't made a move on raising prices on their stuff. It's just never in stock. My s&w m&p won't be finished building for quite awhile so getting .223 is not a priority for me. I've got some trusty k98 mausers, a romak 3 (7.62x54r) and the handguns. CDNN's mailing list I got this morning said prices on firearms were going up soon and probably ammo as well. I'm all about the free enterprise supply and demand system but with how nervous everyone is you would think these companies would have some kind of sympathy. I've also still got a local manufacturer that has some 223 reasonably priced and made here. As far as my AR system I'm still trying to decide on a complete upper through BCM or Palmetto State Armory. Everything is out of stock anyways so it's just a matter of saving some $$$ and waiting for them to finish the backlog. Most places I look are not even taking orders right now they're so far behind. Oh well. I'm glad I am patient!

Hey basspro has 223 for .45g 14.00 for 20 rounds. Backordered and I doubt they will raise prices. Bass pro has a huge crowd. Don't have any close to me in SC. I'm tryin to help you guys out!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links