Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

This is a discussion on Cheaper then Dirt price gouging... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As far as CTD pulling firearms, they waited until they sold out of every semi auto tactical looking gun they had before they announced that ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

As far as CTD pulling firearms, they waited until they sold out of every semi auto tactical looking gun they had before they announced that they no longer sold firearms.. I thought that was messed up..

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    CTD and others have raised their prices, fine, that is their right, but we have the right to not buy their products. As in 2008/09 many gun stores raised their prices and their customers went elsewhere or did without. Many of them have since closed their doors and the majority of the remainder are struggling to remain in business. Now they are again caught between a rock and hard place, if they raise their prices on their present stock they will again loose the few remaining customers that they have. I bought the last two boxes of WWB target ammo from my LGS for the same price it was before the AWB raised it's ugly head. The owner simply stated, when it is gone it is gone, my customers come first. I stopped buying from CTD long ago because of other reasons and the same with Bud's......

I did not run out and buy ammo, what I bought was to replace what I fired at the range this past weekend and if if it had been overpriced I would have passed on the purchase. I have built up a very large stockpile of ammo over the years that should last for the remainder of my life.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

This is the thing, everything is out of stock. I wish prices had been raised to match value so that stuff would still be available if I really wanted it.
    Echo_Four likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wes81 View Post
    As far as CTD pulling firearms, they waited until they sold out of every semi auto tactical looking gun they had before they announced that they no longer sold firearms.. I thought that was messed up..
    For some reason they want to look politically correct?

they wouldnt be selling it for that price if no one was buying.
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    You know, you keep re-posting those definitions, but when they are selling for $50-$75 on gunbroker, I'm going to have a hard time believing $12 is any longer a fair price.
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I still can't get all worked up over this 'price-gouging' thing.

I said it before -- if the market price is high, then selling for that price is not (IMO) price gouging. As it is, AR lowers, 30-round pmags, etc, are pretty much gone, everywhere. That means they were priced too low.
    You are absolutely correct and I will keep calling a Spade a Spade as long as it is one!

This buying community that has been frequenting DC, and has been a member for over and beyond at least 13-months is being hornswoggled.

Whether anything comes out of this entire we need a new gun law this gun control ban that outlaw this thing over here bombast well only time will tell.

But mean while some are being duped into paying exaggerated pricing only out of the fear of what might or might not happen? Now if there was already a concrete Bill, Law, Ban, or whatever’s emplaced with a definite drop dead deadline. Well then I could see everyone rushing out to buy up what was left but not at all ever at these gouging prices!

Just like when Mr. Obama was first elected lots ah folks when into a buying coma. Prices went up and inventory went down, and all for naught.

I think it is the same thing here. All the politicians are thumping their chest to show their voters they care. Rumors and speculation is all a float that this will happen, that will be banned, you wouldn’t be able to get this or that anymore? Baaaaahhh is what I think and see. Because all this is doing is causing a feeding frenzy.

Many are coming to forums like DC now to start threads and to post too test the waters, gather arrows to shoot back at us, and some are here strictly to troll. If you don’t understand how this new-age social media really works, yet. Then go check this link out.

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is happening here and I am seeing and read it on other forums like DC as well.

OK, lets say you wanted to stock up on something, well do it slowly don’t go blow your whole bank like this. Get a little at a time don’t just go clear out all the shelves. It only causes panic buying and price gouging which, is now under siege.

And when someone states they think that because everything has disappeared so that means it was priced way too low????

You can tag it with whatever synonym antonym and definition you chose. I’m calling it like I see it.

Price Gouging & Fear Mongering!! YMMV
    remington79 likes this.

They also had Pmags priced at $60 at one point. Cheaper than Dirt, will lose a lot of customers over all of this.......
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    How is that new .308 working out for you?
    There is no comparison! The m1A in my opinion is 10x the rifle and cartridge combo the varmit gun is.
    I am now going to get a M1 Garand.

And ya know what? The shelves are full of 30-06!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Let us too, put this in perspective.

Say you live along the Gulf Coast or the Southern Atlantic Coast Line; in Hurricane Alley. NOAA comes on your local 10pm news and says: “Attention everyone! Hurricane Stugots is headed your way and our three-day cone of death forecast puts the eye of this storm directly over YOUR HOME in three-day…beware….be afraid and go to your local store and buy all the storm survival stuff you can afford right NOW, before it is TOO LATE!”

OMG…everyone rushes out to buy the suggested supplies; AA-batteries and flashlights, cases of bottled water, can food, ply-wood, you top off your cars tank with gas and fill a couple 5-gal jugs for the generator, and don’t forget the duct tape too…..got ah have duck tape/aflac!!

So let me direct this question to those who deal with these things on yearly seasonal bases in: “Hurricane Alley”. Yes this could apply to you who just got hit in the North by Supper Storm Sandy too, but Hurricane Alley folks deal with this on yearly bases.

So you get the warning and everyone starts panic buying up storm supplies. You have lines out the doors of your Kroger’s, Sam’s, Costco’s, Piggly Wiggly, Home Depot, Lowe’s, and lines are a-mile long at every gas station! You go to buy the normal-needed storm supplies; bottled water, batteries and flashlights, ply-wood, can food, etc and you’re a day late, a dollar short, and the shelves are bare!

OK…….during this panic buy?

Question #1
    Does the normal everyday price of $4.87 for a case of 32-16.9oz bottled water go up to $65.99? Does the price of a 24-pack of AA-batteries go from $12.97 to $85.00? Does the price of a 4x8 sheet of ply-wood go up from $24.97 to $150.00? Does a can of tuna go up from $1.95 to $15.00? Does a gallon of gas go from $3.389 up to $25.009? Just because there’s a storm coming and everyone is in a panic buying frenzy?
    YES or NO / TRUE or FALSE

Question #2
    Fast forward Five-Days later. After the storm clears, the sun is out again, the power starts to return in some areas, and the shelves start to be re-furbished, and the gas stations re-open. Do the prices skyrocket because the buying frenzy is still on?

Question #3
    Or do the prices remain the same as they were days or weeks before the storm sent everyone into a buying pandemic?

So what makes this storm buying panic any different from the firearms panic fire-sale we are in right now? Can someone explain the difference to us if there is any sensible explanation we can ALL truly believe?

Because outside of when NOAA says: “Yo Jersey…youz gots’ a big arrz storm comin get ready!” It is for real. ALL OF THIS firearms panic stuff may or may not be TOTALLY for real?

I’d be more worried that someone is going to backdoor something on the Fiscal Cliff Legislation which is a common political practice on The Hill.

And I love's my 336C!!
    daddysgirl likes this.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

I had been considering an M1a. If prices keep up like this they won't be so expensive compared with an AR-15 anymore!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    [B][I]

But a gas station can not raise their existing pump price to a new market price on any existing stock until they receive a NEW DELIVERY at a higher market price, legally. My brother in-law has a couple stations so I know that to be exactly true. Once they get a new delivery at a higher price they can now adjust their pump price, as they have to lower it when they get in their next tanker at a reduced price too.
    The way WE do business in the U.S.A. is; the fair value price of a man-made retail item is the cost of materials to build/make it, cost of labor to produce, cost of tools of trade depreciation, rent & nut on factory space, add on a small modest profit, and wah lah. Fair Market Value/Fair Market Price!!
    This may be the law, but I know a guy that was at a gas station filling up on 9-11 and they shut the pumps off, came out and changed the price and told him he would have to pay the new price for any more gas he pumped that day and there was NOT a truck making a delivery to the station at that time so yes, the gas stations do price gouge too.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    This may be the law, but I know a guy that was at a gas station filling up on 9-11 and they shut the pumps off, came out and changed the price and told him he would have to pay the new price for any more gas he pumped that day and there was NOT a truck making a delivery to the station at that time so yes, the gas stations do price gouge too.
    Law breakers all around us didn't say it doesn't happen was just using that as an analogy, to compare.

Price Gouging is Price Gouging doesn't matter if it is on firearms, gas, what-ever. It is what it is and what will be will be.

They used to be my favorite store and I used to buy stuff from them every payday. After their actions this last month they WILL NEVER get another penny from me. Period. Thanks for posting this.

Funny cheaperthandirt is a member here and I don't see them jumping in to defend themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    It isn't gouging. It is following the fundamental rules of supply and demand. As one that owns a commodity they will charge the highest price at which demand remains constant for their product. If they set the price too high people will not buy the product. If they set the price too low they will sell out of the product which would prevent you from being able to buy the ammunition and them from being able to sell you other items that you buy on impulse since you're already placing an order. You do not sell a product based on what you paid for your supply, ever. If you did you'd likely end up selling your product for less than you'll pay wholesale for the replacement items when you reorder stock.

While CTD would not be my first choice due to their pulling firearms sales I'm not going to pretend to think they're doing anything wrong here. And if I needed 5.56 ammo and my usual sources were unable to fill my order, then I'd buy from them knowing that the higher price is now the fair price.
    So by the same definition no one should consider it Price Gouging when a disaster happens or extreme weather conditions cause a increased need of certain items?

That is the problem, Even the Gun Owners will make excuses for what normally isn't acceptable. There is no real difference in these scenarios since IMO it is a disaster when a Power Mad Government starts getting serious about making all of us comply to their unconstitutional demands.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links