Cheaper then Dirt price gouging... - Page 5

Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

This is a discussion on Cheaper then Dirt price gouging... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mcgyver210 So by the same definition no one should consider it Price Gouging when a disaster happens or extreme weather conditions cause ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 80
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

  1. #61
    Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,277

    Re: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

    Quote Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
    So by the same definition no one should consider it Price Gouging when a disaster happens or extreme weather conditions cause a increased need of certain items?
    Exactly!


  2. #62
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    This is the thing, everything is out of stock. I wish prices had been raised to match value so that stuff would still be available if I really wanted it.
    Wait, so you want other people to pay high prices because you were too short-sighted to buy magazines earlier???
    daddysgirl likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

  3. #63
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,096
    I just checked their prices for a 33 round glock 19 mag... two weeks ago, it was about $35, now it is $149.97

    Mag GLOCK 9mm 33 Round Factory Glock Magazine Fits Models 17 or 19 or 26 Glock 9mm Handguns

    I get the whole supply and demand thing, but the cost from the manufacturer has not gone up, as far as I know. To me, it looks like CTD is catering to the wealthy gun owners and getting more profit (not that there is anything wrong with making money, but this just seems a little underhanded).
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

  4. #64
    Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,277

    Re: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Wait, so you want other people to pay high prices because you were too short-sighted to buy magazines earlier???
    Actually I have enough mags to last me some time. That's not my point.

  5. #65
    Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,277

    Re: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Wait, so you want other people to pay high prices because you were too short-sighted to buy magazines earlier???
    Say I want to go pick up a new Glock; I finally gave in and I'm going to go plastic. I hadn't bought one until now because I had no interest. Either (a) I can buy spare magazines, but they're expensive or (b) I can't get spare mags for love or money. I'd rather (a) be the case, in general.

  6. #66
    Member Array Chemistry08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Let us too, put this in perspective.

    Say you live along the Gulf Coast or the Southern Atlantic Coast Line; in Hurricane Alley. NOAA comes on your local 10pm news and says: “Attention everyone! Hurricane Stugots is headed your way and our three-day cone of death forecast puts the eye of this storm directly over YOUR HOME in three-day…beware….be afraid and go to your local store and buy all the storm survival stuff you can afford right NOW, before it is TOO LATE!”

    OMG…everyone rushes out to buy the suggested supplies; AA-batteries and flashlights, cases of bottled water, can food, ply-wood, you top off your cars tank with gas and fill a couple 5-gal jugs for the generator, and don’t forget the duct tape too…..got ah have duck tape/aflac!!

    So let me direct this question to those who deal with these things on yearly seasonal bases in: “Hurricane Alley”. Yes this could apply to you who just got hit in the North by Supper Storm Sandy too, but Hurricane Alley folks deal with this on yearly bases.

    So you get the warning and everyone starts panic buying up storm supplies. You have lines out the doors of your Kroger’s, Sam’s, Costco’s, Piggly Wiggly, Home Depot, Lowe’s, and lines are a-mile long at every gas station! You go to buy the normal-needed storm supplies; bottled water, batteries and flashlights, ply-wood, can food, etc and you’re a day late, a dollar short, and the shelves are bare!

    OK…….during this panic buy?

    Question #1
    Does the normal everyday price of $4.87 for a case of 32-16.9oz bottled water go up to $65.99? Does the price of a 24-pack of AA-batteries go from $12.97 to $85.00? Does the price of a 4x8 sheet of ply-wood go up from $24.97 to $150.00? Does a can of tuna go up from $1.95 to $15.00? Does a gallon of gas go from $3.389 up to $25.009? Just because there’s a storm coming and everyone is in a panic buying frenzy?
    YES or NO / TRUE or FALSE

    Question #2
    Fast forward Five-Days later. After the storm clears, the sun is out again, the power starts to return in some areas, and the shelves start to be re-furbished, and the gas stations re-open. Do the prices skyrocket because the buying frenzy is still on?
    YES or NO / TRUE or FALSE

    Question #3
    Or do the prices remain the same as they were days or weeks before the storm sent everyone into a buying pandemic?
    YES or NO / TRUE or FALSE

    So what makes this storm buying panic any different from the firearms panic fire-sale we are in right now? Can someone explain the difference to us if there is any sensible explanation we can ALL truly believe?

    Because outside of when NOAA says: “Yo Jersey…youz gots’ a big arrz storm comin get ready!” It is for real. ALL OF THIS firearms panic stuff may or may not be TOTALLY for real?

    I’d be more worried that someone is going to backdoor something on the Fiscal Cliff Legislation which is a common political practice on The Hill.

    And I love's my 336C!!
    You bring up very good points here. And yes some retailers do increase prices when storms are looming. I do think that CTD is going a tad bit overboard buy hey, if people will pay it... You have to remember that pending storms are local shortages that can be filled quickly by calling for more. The firearm situation is a nationwide shortage...you can't just call the dealer 20 miles inland and buy more magazines off of him because the coast is out.

    It's all what people are willing to pay and if they don't pay it CTD and the others will be forced to lower their prices.

    Think of it like this: You are selling your vehicle, asking price $10,000. Joe comes along and offers you full asking. But I love your vehicle, my dad and I used to cruise in the same model during my childhood. To take it out from under Joe I sweeten the pot with an extra benjamin. Who do you sell it to? These magazines are in such high demand that you can bet there are ten people trying to buy the same magazine, think of the impact on the price!
    brocktice likes this.

  7. #67
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Say I want to go pick up a new Glock; I finally gave in and I'm going to go plastic. I hadn't bought one until now because I had no interest. Either (a) I can buy spare magazines, but they're expensive or (b) I can't get spare mags for love or money. I'd rather (a) be the case, in general.
    I understand your point, but it seems to be a bit selfish to want everyone to pay higher prices so that you can get what you want.
    daddysgirl likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

  8. #68
    Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,277

    Re: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I understand your point, but it seems to be a bit selfish to want everyone to pay higher prices so that you can get what you want.
    I said, "I", but I mean anyone. I think it's better to have things available, if expensive, than not available at all. Think of all of the people that now cannot get stuff, because some people have panicked. People are snapping up anything and everything they think might be banned, even if they don't really have an expectation of needing it, because it doesn't cost that much. If the people panic buying had to make a decision based on what I consider to be actual market prices, they probably wouldn't buy so much. Keeping prices low and selling out leaves people that might need something in the near future, that didn't know or couldn't have known that before, high and dry. Frankly, this is not about me at all. I have enough guns. Just ask my wife (da-dum-ching). I'd have to pay higher prices too so that this hypothetical person could buy stuff.

  9. #69
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I said, "I", but I mean anyone. I think it's better to have things available, if expensive, than not available at all. Think of all of the people that now cannot get stuff, because some people have panicked. People are snapping up anything and everything they think might be banned, even if they don't really have an expectation of needing it, because it doesn't cost that much. If the people panic buying had to make a decision based on what I consider to be actual market prices, they probably wouldn't buy so much. Keeping prices low and selling out leaves people that might need something in the near future, that didn't know or couldn't have known that before, high and dry. Frankly, this is not about me at all. I have enough guns. Just ask my wife (da-dum-ching). I'd have to pay higher prices too so that this hypothetical person could buy stuff.
    Sorry, I should have clarified. I understood that the "I" was hypothetical; my "you" was used in the same sense.

    Anyone buying a new Glock will automatically have 3 magazines. Even if they shoot IDPA, they won't need more than 3 mags, so I find the idea of anyone "needing" mags a little unlikely (unless they accidentally put all 3 in the washer at the same time).

    It seems that we disagree on the issue, and neither of us are likely to change the other person's mind, but I like a little friendly debate every once in a while.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

  10. #70
    Member Array mcgyver210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Exactly!
    Accept the All-Mighty Government usually defines that as Price Gouging & in many cases have & will bring consequences against the vendors involved.

    Now don't get me wrong I am a Business Owner so I do understand Profit, Scams, Dishonest practices, Unethical Practices etc etc.... But in the same token Fair is Fair & Unfair is Unfair accept of course when any Government entity is involved.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

  11. #71
    Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,277

    Re: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Sorry, I should have clarified. I understood that the "I" was hypothetical; my "you" was used in the same sense.

    Anyone buying a new Glock will automatically have 3 magazines. Even if they shoot IDPA, they won't need more than 3 mags, so I find the idea of anyone "needing" mags a little unlikely (unless they accidentally put all 3 in the washer at the same time).

    It seems that we disagree on the issue, and neither of us are likely to change the other person's mind, but I like a little friendly debate every once in a while.
    Indeed I was thinking the same. Having never bought a Glock, I didn't know that.

  12. #72
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Funny cheaperthandirt is a member here and I don't see them jumping in to defend themselves.
    I'm pretty sure they're busy.
    Grant48 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  13. #73
    Member Array Pinlifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    32

    Re: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

    As far as pricing, everyone needs to stop buying. Soon they will be sitting on a pile of .223, with nobody to sell it to.

    As far as needing more magazines, I'm lazy, and range time is expensive. I don't want to sit there reloading magazines for $X.XX per hour. I'd rather load a big bag full of them, and spend my time at the range shooting.
    brocktice likes this.

  14. #74
    Member Array cthruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    431
    Yep, we gotta stick with those that support the cause. I've spent quite a few $$$ there...will be to someone else from now on...still would love to know who put the screws to CTD, Dick's, etc....a couple of weeks before Christmas...had to have been a threat of some kind.

  15. #75
    Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,277

    Re: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

    Quote Originally Posted by cthruit View Post
    still would love to know who put the screws to CTD, Dick's, etc....a couple of weeks before Christmas...had to have been a threat of some kind.
    Could it just have been their own lawyers or even marketing people?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

223 bulk ammo
,
ammo price gouging
,
cheap .223 ammo 1000 rounds
,
cheap 223 ammo 1000 rounds
,
cheaper than dirt ammo
,
cheaper than dirt ammo price gouging
,
cheaper than dirt ammo prices
,
cheaper than dirt gouging
,
cheaper than dirt gouging customers
,

cheaper than dirt price gouging

,
cheaper than dirt price gouging 2012
,

dirt cheap ammo

Click on a term to search for related topics.