Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

This is a discussion on Cheaper then Dirt price gouging... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I happened to look on the Cheaper then Dirt website and saw .223 bulk ammo, 1000 rounds for $999. I thought this cannot be correct, ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

Thumbs down Cheaper then Dirt price gouging...

I happened to look on the Cheaper then Dirt website and saw .223 bulk ammo, 1000 rounds for $999. I thought this cannot be correct, so I sent them an email.
    Here is their response.

Me: Is this correct, 1000 rounds of 223 ammo for $999?

Them: Yes, that is correct.

Kip Staton

Product Technician

Cheaper Than Dirt, Inc.

Me: So, are you gouging your customers? That is $1 per round.

Them: We are not gouging our customers. The price is simply what the market will bear at this time. That ammunition still selling well at that price.

Kip Staton

Wow, what the market will bear is the same thing as gouging. I know they have stopped selling guns, but this is just wrong.
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

2. Remove Ads

This was my reply, I am waiting for a response, which I do not think I will get.

Me: What the market will bear and gouging are the same thing...

Sad, first you stop selling guns, then hurt your customers by doing this.
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Correct;
    "What the market will bear" IS gouging.
    He's not saying their cost has gone up so they have to raise the price to maintain a margin.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

This is the very reason the rich get richer and the poor don't have ammo. Just because you can get plenty of people to buy at a certain price doesn't mean it is right.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Not me...............I'm done with.... Lower Than Dirt....they sent me another catalogue which arrived yesterday after I requested to be removed from their mailing list.......I promptly threw it out.

I hate to say it, but this is the American way, free market. if someone is willing to pay that price, they sell it for that, supply vs. demand. They are not in the business to make it easy for poor folks like us to afford their products, they are there to make a buck, just as any of us would do....and as the free market dictates, I will take my business elsewhere....
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

I will never purchase another item from Lower Than Dirt. (Thanks xXxplosive, perfect new name for them.) The firearm community needs to look out for each other and stay strong to our cause. They are doing neither.
    ErnieNWillis and jrizzleP95 like this.

I'm a Capitalist and free market enterprise kind of guy. I have no problem with Cheaper Than Dirt doing what they are doing. They are on the supply side of the chain, and right now demand is high.

Cheaper Than Dirt has the right to charge whatever they wish. But one thing often overlooked by business is, "Is it wise to intentionally gouge the consumer?"

An equally important part of the free enterprise market is the consumer side of the equation. As a consumer, I have chosen never to do business from Cheaper Than Dirt again... Ever.

A lot of people are boycotting Cheaper Than Dirt, and personally, I hope it drives them out of business. That's also part of the "free market" enterprise.

There's a close relationship between "the supplier" and "the consumer." And when "the supplier" loses sight of what is fair and equatable, "the consumer" will go elsewhere for their product.

I don't think we need to change how the free market works. It will sort itself out on it's own. Cheaper Than Dirt has to live with their business decisions. They will either survive what they decided to do, or they won't. It's really up to the consumer to determine what happens.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    ^^^this^^^
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Groundhog hunting must be getting popular. Lotta money for a varmit cartridge.
    Mike1956 and zonker1986 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Just looked up my favorite online seller and prices were $499 for 500 rounds (shipping included), so its not just them. I also looked at another trusted online seller and they had none in stock. I guess the Mayan Apocalypse came true after all!
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Groundhog hunting must be getting popular. Lotta money for a varmit cartridge.
    How is that new .308 working out for you?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

500 rds of Brown Bear 7.62x39 FMJ at $189 at CTD. Not terrible, but creeping up...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

If everyone is so ticked off at CTD, shouldn't you be just as ticked at DC.com for continuing to use them as a sponsor?
    Someone out there is willing to pay $1k for 223, then someone is willing to sell it to them at that price. End of story.
    No one here has a job where we are willing to say to our boss, "You know, I make too much money-- why don't you trim a bit off the top so I can sleep better at night".
    68blackbird likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links