What should be next?!

This is a discussion on What should be next?! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi folks...so I've been selling off a few of my lesser used assets and saving money so that I could have a few dollars in ...

Thread: What should be next?!

What should be next?!

Hi folks...so I've been selling off a few of my lesser used assets and saving money so that I could have a few dollars in my pocket for the Gun Show on the 28th. I've been poking into a few thoughts of what I should get so I'd like some good opinions :

Currently I own :

Springfield Amrs XD-9 Subcompact *My CCW
    Ruger 10/22 Carbine (unmodified)
    Mossberg 500 (unmodified)

What I am thinking about getting :

.357 Magnum (either Ruger or S&W)
    A DA/SA Semi-Automatic Pistol of some sort
    AK-47 of some sort
    Springfield "Loaded" 1911 *also listed on my CCW Permit
    M1 Garand or similar rifle

Please give me some suggestions. I am open to other options as well. Keep in mind that my price limit is ~ $700 max. If you have any experience with any of these firearms please let me know or if there is something that you consider a "Must own first" around this price range please toss it in as a suggestion.

Thanks!
    -Ryan
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

2. Remove Ads

out of the list the springfield loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    out of the list the springfield loaded
    Thanks!

Any suggestions outside of the list?
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

They do not make USGI MIs anymore!That would be my pick out of your list,Doubt you can find a good one -$700 at a fun show though.I am developing a burning desire for one of those current production series 70 colts!

I would get a rifle myself. Any good assult type weapon should work like the AK.

Next would be a backup carry gun like a Kel-tec P32 or P3AT if you are allowed to carry multiple guns.

You should beable to get both for the price cap you are talking about! Two is always better than one.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Lead Moderator
    A rifle would round out the collection nicely. If you like the old, heavy garand go for it. they are good rifles. AK's are a bit easier to manage and ammo will be cheaper.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    True enough - a rifle perhaps should be obtained and an AK clone should leave you plenty of spare cash. M1 would be nice but you'd need more bucks for that.

In DA/SA realm - you could probably find a very tasty SIG
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Not on the list, but I'd recommend a Ruger New Model Bearcat 22lr for fun. On the list, I'd go for an AK in Yugoslavian Underfolder dress. Both are excellent firearms, and excellent values in my opinion.
    \"What you\'ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response where you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul.\" My adoring wife, at least once a day.

Of those choices, I'd get the AK. You never know when the next assault weapons ban will come to be.

I just dropped the $$ for one and I love it... HK USPcompact. It's my new favorite! I've had it at the range a couple of times now, with about 500 rds through it, and no problems except for two ammo problems. I've got a 1911, Beretta 96FS and the XD-9SC like you, and the HK is my fav by far. Yesterday I shot the others a bit, and then shot the HK. I used to think my 1911 felt/shot better than my Beretta...and then I knew the XD felt so much better than the 1911, but after shooting those others and then picking that HK up...WOW. What a difference. This is just my opinion though- get what feels good to you. IMO, you get what you pay for! It was expensive, but worth it, and I'd been wanting to make the jump into a higher-end pistol. It was between the USPc and the Sig 239. Again, just my opinion!

Good start..........

But I'd say too.....

An AK at the top......need a rifle in your arsenal and the AK is a damn fine one, an extremely useable, fun military classic.....should have some money left over for mags and ammo. Bulgarian, Russian, Yugo or Hungarian, Romanian is the order I'd pick from. But they should all work OK.

Definately a decent 1911 is my second choice...though you'd have to buy used, or see whats available for your budget.

Do not forget all the accessories and lots of ammo for your other toys........

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Admit it. You REALLLLLLLLY want a 1911.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Links