My Reloading setup,Please ignore the mess,it matches my thought process

This is a discussion on My Reloading setup,Please ignore the mess,it matches my thought process within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; About 8 years ago I got into reloading and then realized that I could do it cheaper if I cast my own bullets not to ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: My Reloading setup,Please ignore the mess,it matches my thought process

My Reloading setup,Please ignore the mess,it matches my thought process

About 8 years ago I got into reloading and then realized that I could do it cheaper if I cast my own bullets not to mention not having to rely on items being shipped.Then about 6 years ago I realized with the 2A being attacked I needed to make sure I could reload for even 223/5.56 and spent about $800 for dies to turn 22LR brass into 223 bullet tips with the ability to adjust the lead insert weight for everything from about 45 grain up and usually make either 55 or 62 grain.Below are pics with descriptions
    Dillon 550B with Case Feeder I can reload about 400 pistol cartridges an hour pretty easy

Cast Master lead bullet maker,I can cast about 600 bullets an hour with this machine,it holds 50 pounds of lead

This is a star lubrizizer that sizes and lubes bullets with a hard lube it has a heater and an air powered ram to put pressure on the bullet lube. I can lube about 1500 bullets an hour.

Single Stage RCBS Rockchucker Press I use to make 223 bullets from 22 LR brass

223 bullet dies with finished bullet going from spent brass to hollowpoint bullet

Finished 9mm bullets

And a little of the brass I have on hand
    pistola, zacii, darbo and 4 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I need to start casting. Nice set up.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I still cast in a two bullet mold and can make about 300 per hour. I am very interested in a swaging die tho. That's an interesting setup. DR

VIP Member
    Very nice. I especially like the idea of being able to make .223 bullets from the .22 casings. That's self sufficiency at its best!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Extremely impressive. I haven't yet begun to reload but read more and more daily... I very much like your set up.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Looks like you've got it all covered. I would sure like to have someone near to show me the ropes on reloading.

BTW, straighten the joint up for crying out loud!
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I still cast in a two bullet mold and can make about 300 per hour. I am very interested in a swaging die tho. That's an interesting setup. DR
    The 223 swaging dies are made by Roger corbin
    Corbin December 2012 Bullet Swaging Price List
    You want the kit 224R the dies are made to use in a single stage reloading press and it comes with a 4 core mold you can adjust the weight of the lead core,now comes the sticker shock $833.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Thanks for sharing. Yeah, a 'Field Day' is in order there. Then again, my 'Man Space' looks worse!

Mostly Bike and engine parts................

By the looks of those buckets you have some work cut out for ya. I would love to expand my reloading setup but I'm currently limited to space until I build another building. I've been thinking of building one specifically for reloading but I don't really like the fact that it wouldn't be climate/moisture controlled. I'd still have to bring in most of my "stuff" when I'm done. Thanks for sharing duk.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Sponsor
    I've been jonesing to start swagging .223 boolits. I started casting a couple years ago and have had excellent results with my home rolled .303brit loads and hand gun calibers. Finding lead and alloys at reasonable prices is getting tough though. I just got 150lb. of Linotype from an old timer who used to cast commercially. I missed the real boat on that deal though. The day before I found him, he sold an automatic casting machine and 3k# of Linotype for $2000.00

DA,
    Does swagging the lead filled .22lr cases require excessive pressure? Would a Lee(no cam over) Breach Lock press work or is a RC needed?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    I've been jonesing to start swagging .223 boolits. I started casting a couple years ago and have had excellent results with my home rolled .303brit loads and hand gun calibers. Finding lead and alloys at reasonable prices is getting tough though. I just got 150lb. of Linotype from an old timer who used to cast commercially. I missed the real boat on that deal though. The day before I found him, he sold an automatic casting machine and 3k# of Linotype for $2000.00
    DA,
    Does swagging the lead filled .22lr cases require excessive pressure? Would a Lee(no cam over) Breach Lock press work or is a RC needed?
    From what Ive read you will need a "Steel" press to do even the easiest swagging. RCBSs Rock Chucker is the minimum.

Duke I'm mostly interested in being able to make Lead Free Bullets. As I'm in CA's Lead Free Zone. I'm looking at filling the jacket with powdered copper and tin and then heating them to fuse it all together. the other way would be with a Polymer glue. I think the polymer is how Barns does theirs. At .20 cents a bullet that would only take me 4500 rounds to pay for the dies. That's just over 4 years worth of ground squirrel shooting! Do you have any idea what the life span of those dies are? Thanks DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    From what Ive read you will need a "Steel" press to do even the easiest swagging. RCBSs Rock Chucker is the minimum.

Duke I'm mostly interested in being able to make Lead Free Bullets. As I'm in CA's Lead Free Zone. I'm looking at filling the jacket with powdered copper and tin and then heating them to fuse it all together. the other way would be with a Polymer glue. I think the polymer is how Barns does theirs. At .20 cents a bullet that would only take me 4500 rounds to pay for the dies. That's just over 4 years worth of ground squirrel shooting! Do you have any idea what the life span of those dies are? Thanks DR
    AFAIK with regular use and cleaning the brass before sizing it they should last a lifetime.I've probably made about 2000 bullet tips so far and they aren't even broke in.
    One thing I learned is you need to adjust the dies in just far enough to allow the press to cam over,on the second die that presses in the lead core I start out pretty high and adjust it down until the pressure expands the case enough to cause the case to stay in the die,on the point forming die same thing until I adjust it down to the point where it forms the hollowpoint I'm looking for,if you make the bullets 62 + grains you will have a lead tip sticking out,they make a "Point Forming" Die that is another $269.00.
    I tried swageing on a cheap LEE single stage press,and I broke it,thats when I bought the Rockchucker.
    I realize the dies are expensive,but they do make swaging machines that work with different dies and IMHO would be the best way to go,in fact I may go that route in the near future if I do I would probably put this die set up at a really good price reduction.One thing this allows me is to keep shooting 223 even when all the Milsurp bullet tips are out of stock,just crank out how many you need and voila you've got ammo

Nice, ive been reloading since I was 12 and casting is always been on my todo list.

the 223/22LR bullet setup is niiice!

Links