We should keep a running list of vendors that are price gouging

This is a discussion on We should keep a running list of vendors that are price gouging within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you have a problem with prices now, don't buy....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: We should keep a running list of vendors that are price gouging

If you have a problem with prices now, don't buy.
    NCSoxFan and aus71383 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ToeMoss View Post
    If you have a problem with prices now, don't buy.
    I kind of agree. If you wait till things are in full panic mode, this is what you can expect.

If things ever settle back down, that's when you should buy, not now.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    As someone stated outside forces caused the panic and pricing effects. I guess we need to ask ourselves what would we do. Example: You bought a Colt M4 Carbine 5.56 a few months back for $1500.00 and barely used it. You now have a guaranteed opportunity to sell it for $3000.00(or more). Would you instead sell it for any less...

Keep in mind that so called price gouging also falls on the shoulders of buyers and not just the seller. No one can sell anything if one rejects the price.
    What a concept!
    aus71383 likes this.

We've all known this was coming for 3.4-4 years now. That was plenty of time to stock up on ammo mags and scary black arms. We knew this was coming at some point in the next 4 years I just didn't think it would come so early after the election...remember never let a crisis go to waste.

Has the Occupy Wall St movement taken over the DC forum?

I know diddy on the AK AR thing. Are magazine interchangeable between all AK or AR manufactures or you must buy the "corrrect" mag for each manufacturer. I know all Glock 9 mm mags will fit in all Glock 9mm handguns.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I know diddy on the AK AR thing. Are magazine interchangeable between all AK or AR manufactures or you must buy the "corrrect" mag for each manufacturer. I know all Glock 9 mm mags will fit in all Glock 9mm handguns.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but like with the Glocks if it is the same caliber they can be used? Some AK's & some AR's are not?

Price Gouging:
    When NOAA comes on your local news and says your in their cone of death and you have a couple days to hunker down and Home Depot and Piggly Wiggly shelves are drying up. During that buying pandemic they don't raise their prices just because they can. When the manufactures send out their next first shipments after the storm to the retailers, they do not raise their prices just because they can.

But that is what seems to be taking place within the firearms industry? Yeah if you were at your LGS yesterday and P-mags were $12.98 and the next day they jumped to $79.98, like the one down the street from me. Well.....what can you do?

Like Smokey the Bear says: "Only YOU can prevent a buying pandemic!"

220px-Smokey3.jpg

This buying and gouging frenzy has gotten so out of control that the monkey see monkey do syndrome has set in.

Like someone's post above said, it is hard to find any stores that aren't scalping stock, I'll add; it's like buying tickets to the Super Bowl.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I guess my days as a Boy Scout, Be Prepared, has made it easy for me to ride out the present events, such as, the possible gun ban, and the panic buying of ammo and guns. I still have a few 24 round boxes of .45 cal ammo I bought in the 1960's with the price tag still on the boxes with the outrageous price of $1.45 per box. I have long been a believer in at least 1K rounds of target ammo for each gun and at least 500 rounds of SD ammo for each handgun. The only impact that I can see for me in the near future is the reduction of my trips to the range to one or two per month.
    packinnova likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Let's make a list of buyers who are willing to pay $80 for a plastic magazine.

Then let's make a list of sellers who would refuse to let them pay that much, because it would be "gouging" - and instead will sell it to them for $15. They are a big company after all, and the extra $65 means nothing to them.

Look on Gunbroker - lots of stuff for sale, with 0 bids. Lots of shill bidding. The stuff that is actually selling is going for ~$30/mag. Big deal.

There are plenty of people willing to take advantage of foolish/desperate people buying in a panic. They are not to blame here....if you want to pay $11.27 for a PMAG this week, you are out of luck.

Austin

And some are playing it straight Fleet Farm.
    I wandered in this morning at 9am I was shocked to see the case had AR15 in it again. So I looked the prices was the same as it had been all year on them.
    I had picked up two Ar15 Adams Arms 5 months ago as Christmas gifts so I was aware of the price. I picked up another one just because I could.
    They were limiting sales to one a day. and 4 mags a day but they had some in stock at the normal price. They did not have any Ak style weapons in stock .
    They had some good deals on Bulk 7.62X39 but it was sold out right away.

Re: We should keep a running list of vendors that are price gouging

I could not believe my eyes when i saw the price of this GI mag:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/produ...%2f15+Campaign

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

If they are selling all they have, they are not gouging. The market has set a new price. That is called a" free market", and is how the system is supposed to work.

Read there's going to be a Class Action Law Suit filed against Dick's........glad I returned my Score Card......they're phonies....IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    Would you say the same thing if the grocery stores, gas stations and ice companies, to name a few, were allowed to raise their prices during/after a hurricane? How about CTD raised prices on selected items up to 700%. I say call CTD and ask for the price info on the items where it says call for price information . Check on the P Mag 30 round magazines.
    YES! I WOULD... And YES, I have dealt with such situations on multiple occasions. You may also be forgetting to look at it from the sellers perspective. It's not necessarily a "hey, we're going to make a ton of money on this" situation. Some of it may very well be...we're about to lose a line of our business due to outside forces putting a gun to our head so to speak.

If people want to charge $1000 for a frakin hamburger that's their choice. It's also my choice not to buy said hamburger whether there are 20 of them available or if it's the last one on earth.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but like with the Glocks if it is the same caliber they can be used? Some AK's & some AR's are not?

Price Gouging:
    When NOAA comes on your local news and says your in their cone of death and you have a couple days to hunker down and Home Depot and Piggly Wiggly shelves are drying up. During that buying pandemic they don't raise their prices just because they can. When the manufactures send out their next first shipments after the storm to the retailers, they do not raise their prices just because they can.

But that is what seems to be taking place within the firearms industry? Yeah if you were at your LGS yesterday and P-mags were $12.98 and the next day they jumped to $79.98, like the one down the street from me. Well.....what can you do?

Like Smokey the Bear says: "Only YOU can prevent a buying pandemic!"

220px-Smokey3.jpg

This buying and gouging frenzy has gotten so out of control that the monkey see monkey do syndrome has set in.

Like someone's post above said, it is hard to find any stores that aren't scalping stock, I'll add; it's like buying tickets to the Super Bowl.
    I think you may be making some major assumptions here which may not be entirely your fault. It seems to me our country has fallen to such a state that we are taught such fallacies from day 1 or we are lead to believe them because of "it doesn't happen here" syndrome, etc...
    There is no guarantee of resupply in any business, especially during a major natural disaster(ie "cone of death", let alone when we have a president that behaves as a dictatorial king, and we're outnumbered by moochers and looters.
    Example:
    If I were running a gas station(I don't currently - just making that clear), and I were told there was a major hurricane coming the likes of which no one has seen since katrina, you're dam-skippy I'm going to be charging DOUBLE or even TRIPLE what I was the day before... WHY?
    • Speed with which my supply is going to dwindle if I don't
    • How long until I get resupplied...if ever,
    • Theft and other loss of future income...
    • the list goes on...

Also, you've made an assumption on why certain suppliers don't raise their prices after an incident...here's the problem. They don't not because of some virtue you think they may or may not have. They don't raise their prices because the government at the behest of a ruling mob of moochers and looters tell them that if they raise their prices even the slightest bit, that they will either A) get fined into oblivion ...if they survive said disaster, B) have their business license revoked, C) Go to JAIL, D) all of the above.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links