We should keep a running list of vendors that are price gouging

This is a discussion on We should keep a running list of vendors that are price gouging within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Capitalism and free market not withstanding I think it would be a good idea to keep a running list of vendors that are "taking advantage ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: We should keep a running list of vendors that are price gouging

We should keep a running list of vendors that are price gouging

Capitalism and free market not withstanding I think it would be a good idea to keep a running list of vendors that are "taking advantage of the current situation". If this thread gets big enough we should send a link to this thread to the companies customer service. I'm not talking a 10-15 percent price increase. I'm talking about insane markups. Everyone is free to charge what they like but we as consumers are free to choose to not to business with those companies in the future for their business practices. Even better, what about chipping in and buying some advertising space on DC to name and shame those companies? I would be willing to pony up some cash for that. What do you think?
    RichB70 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Let's go ahead and start with CTD.
    atctimmy, mano3 and nerdyvirgin like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Easier to run a list of those who aren't, and still have inventory. Here, I will start it:
    1)
    68blackbird and Jetfuelrm like this.

VIP Member
    I don't know of any that AREN'T. Supply and demand.

Sponsor
    Not S&W - They had stock 2 days ago, might be gone now.
    M&P15/AR15 Magazines - Smith & Wesson

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Today I ordered an AR from CMMG through my LGS and was quoted a (worst case) price of the MSRP of $1195 on the website. I don't know if the prices were increased recently or not, but looking at some reviews from 4 years ago, it looks like they are about $100 to $150 higher than they were then, yet some of that depends upon options. I was also quoted about $900 for a mechanically similar model with fewer frills. My LGS owner is vocal in his opposition to panic buying and price gouging on the basis that if people would stop and buy normally that there would be no problems and enough supply for everyone who wants some.

What I would like to know is how long will it take for the ammo situation to stabilize?

I've gotten plenty of good deals through Cheaper Than Dirt during "normal" times. It may suck for those looking to stock up on supplies now, but I'm not going to knock any company who raises prices to meet demand. I'm pretty surprised by the number of people who have their panties in a twist over recent price increases.
    68blackbird and aus71383 like this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The market conditions we are currently experiencing do not fit the supply and demand model, except in the crudest of sense. in order for supply and demand to hold, there must be perfect competition, meaning (amongst other things) that no participant influences the price of the product it buys or sells. This is not the case here as these are aberrant market conditions being negatively influenced by outside forces that are causing the markets to skew away from a point of equilibrium.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    I've gotten plenty of good deals through Cheaper Than Dirt during "normal" times. It may suck for those looking to stock up on supplies now, but I'm not going to knock any company who raises prices to meet demand. I'm pretty surprised by the number of people who have their panties in a twist over recent price increases.
    Would you say the same thing if the grocery stores, gas stations and ice companies, to name a few, were allowed to raise their prices during/after a hurricane? How about CTD raised prices on selected items up to 700%. I say call CTD and ask for the price info on the items where it says call for price information . Check on the P Mag 30 round magazines.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Looks like Sportsmans Guide is NOT gouging. I just recieved 3 Tapco 30 round AR magazines I ordered from them. I got the three mags delivered for 31 bucks with my 10 dollar off coupon. As far as I know you can still get them at that price.

Thank you Sportsmans guide. You're one of my favorite vendors!!!

Donnie D
    "When the people fear government, there is tyranny, when government fears the people, there is liberty"

VIP Member
    As I posted on another thread, what these folks still have in stock as of today has not been price-jacked. Fin, Feather and Fur Outfitters

VIP Member
    The thing is it is not just the companies we would have to start in our own back yard. There were some pretty high prices listed in the for sale section on here by members. Can't complain about the companies when our own members do it. We are our own worst enemy.
    68blackbird and aus71383 like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I know where I won't be shopping. Dick's Sporting Goods. Read today that they will not be honoring the delivery of previously ordered AR's to their customers.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    I know where I won't be shopping. Dick's Sporting Goods. Read today that they will not be honoring the delivery of previously ordered AR's to their customers.
    Wouldn't that be breach of contract? Especially if you prepaid in full. Might be time for people to file in small claims court.

As someone stated outside forces caused the panic and pricing effects. I guess we need to ask ourselves what would we do. Example: You bought a Colt M4 Carbine 5.56 a few months back for $1500.00 and barely used it. You now have a guaranteed opportunity to sell it for $3000.00(or more). Would you instead sell it for any less...

Keep in mind that so called price gouging also falls on the shoulders of buyers and not just the seller. No one can sell anything if one rejects the price.
    aus71383, Once, mkh and 1 others like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links