Gun Safe Lock Question

This is a discussion on Gun Safe Lock Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just purchased a new gun safe and I specifically chose one with the 'old style' dial lock because I've read about so many people ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Gun Safe Lock Question

VIP Member

Gun Safe Lock Question

I just purchased a new gun safe and I specifically chose one with the 'old style' dial lock because I've read about so many people having issues with the e-locks after a few years.

Anyway, my safe has a Sargent & Greenleaf dial lock and I can extend the warranty on it from the standard 5 years to 10y, 15y, or a lifetime warranty for $50, 70 or 100. Would it be worth the cash to extend the warranty on the lock?

I'd rather not spend the money if these locks hold up but since even one trip from a locksmith will cost more than any of the extended warranties, I'm wondering if it's worth doing.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

Does the warranty include labor, or does it just cover the cost of the lock itself?

VIP Member
    Covers all adjustments, repairs or replacements - all travel, labor and parts.
    NRA Life Member

If the cost covers parts and labor. Yes, I would. Parts only. nope SG make great products and will stand behind way past warranty. My son spilled water into my digital key pad and all it would do is beep and beep and beep. so I let it dry out. When I replugged it in it still beeped. So I called SG and asked in they still had old inventory somewhere covered in dust. They had one left in stock and send it out at no charge. Plugged in new keypad and still beeped. Called SG and they said leave it plugged in for a few minutes. The beeping stopped and new and old keypad worked. Sonow I have a spare.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

I think I would go ahead and get it extended as well...especially since it covers everything...

Thumbs up

Here's a good overview of factors to consider before buying any extended warranty.

A couple of points from the article:
    1. majority of minor malfunctions occur within this first year
    2. Certain cash-back rewards credit cards actually offer to double the length of the manufacturer's warranty, free of charge
    3. If you still want to purchase one for peace of mind, from a third party provider such as SquareTrade

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Like all "insurance" it's a gamble.
    archer51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've had a Fort Knox safe since 1999. Never had the first problem with the lock. Didn't know I needed to be worried about a warranty. Hmmm
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Well just an update. I got a reply from a locksmith that specialized in gun safes and he basically said that it would be worthwhile if I had an e-lock, but the mechanical locks rarely fail and the odds are it would be money spent for nothing...
    NRA Life Member

I used to work for a major manufacturer, as head of the warranty and aftermarket service group. We learned, over the years, that if a product did not fail within the first 30 days of use, any failure that occurred was usually due to operator error. In fact, we even went so far as to offer a lifetime warranty on one product line because we knew the defect rate was less than 1%, and the increase in sales more than offset the warranty costs.

I spent too much time in Warranty and Service groups to put much stock in extended warranties.
    TX expat likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I'd save the money. Unless you're working that dial 50 times a day, you're not going to wear it out in a lifetime!
    TX expat likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

StarPD45
    That's the same lock I have. Don't worry about it.
    My "baby" brother is a locksmith and the only time he ever has to "repair" them is if some one forgets the combination, (It happens) or they tried to open it the "hard way".

Links